JLT1 vs FCFC Thursday 28th Feb Ikon Park 6.45. Go Bombers!

Yep… according to AFL

"…ESSENDON spearhead Joe Daniher is set to play his first competitive match in 10 months when the Bombers kickstart their pre-season campaign on Thursday.

Provided Daniher recovers well from Monday’s full session and gets through Wednesday’s hitout unscathed, he will face Carlton in the opening match of the JLT Community Series.

It is understood the 24-year-old will feature on restricted minutes at IKON Park.

A promising showing in the Bombers’ intraclub has fast-tracked the decision to play Daniher against the Blues, with original plans to have him return against Geelong on March 7.

An All Australian and best and fairest winner in 2017, Daniher failed to play after round seven last season when an ongoing osteitis pubis injury worsened.

Having endured a modified pre-season program prior to Christmas, Daniher has since ramped up his fitness in recent weeks.

At training on Monday, skipper Dyson Heppell appeared to be running freely after managing hamstring tendinitis in the past month, while Zach Merrett showed no signs of an ankle sprain sustained five weeks ago.

Key defender Cale Hooker also trained on Monday as he overcomes a hamstring complaint but won’t meet the Blues on Thursday night.

Meantime, defender Matt Dea , who managed 12 games for the Bombers last season, was spotted watching on in a sporting brace on his left knee.

The Bombers are expected to clarify the severity of his setback on Monday afternoon…"

Cripps is 100% elite and i wouldn’t be surprised if he wins a Brownlow soon. The problem is he’s surrounded by trash which makes his hard work less damaging. It’s not just his clearances, he averaged 17.5 contested possessions a game last season. Dangerfield, Ablett & Fyfe are the only players who have equaled or topped that. Maybe you’re a little blinded by your hate for Carlton? Understandable, but credit where credit is due.

17 Likes

Now what a day that was, that 3rd quarter…just sensational!

1 Like

He’ll actually be able to rest forward for a change this year and outsize pretty much every opponent he’ll get.

2 Likes

Nope not blinded.

As you say he averages 17.5 contested possesions out of an average of just 25 total disposals.

He wins all his ball in close.

That is a reflection of his lack of pace to get in the open as well as inability to hurt on the outside when the ball is in transition.

He basically just wins the ball and then handballs.

Yeah at the rate he wins contests he will kick so many snags. I rate the guy so highly and he’s only 23.

I wouldn’t call that “confirmed to play”. There isn’t even a quote from the club.

Seems like last year when everyone assumed Baguley had been delisted and would be re-rookied because some AFL journalist said that was going to happen

it’s a reflection of having literally nobody else in the midfield that can do it.

2 Likes

Oh I don’t see anything going wrong with this

1 Like

If you’re going to quote stats at least get them right.

You must be the only person on the planet who doesn’t think he’s elite. But yeah totally not blinded.

3 Likes

If Cripps played for us we’d be strongly arguing that he’s the best player in the comp.

24 Likes

Seems like a real nice kid, too.

2 Likes

Yeah makes it hard to hate him, but we’ll find a way… cause fark carlton, that’s why!

3 Likes

I can’t believe i’ve even been drawn into this conversation. Feel like i’m being trolled.

1 Like

Agreed, Genuine superstar.

Imagine him in a contested final, He’ll get 40 contested possessions.

2 Likes

I was referring to the post they just put up on the supporters page

1 Like

Sad thing is I’m pretty sure you’re not…

Foxtel only.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you missed this or not - but we asked this question of Rob Harding and talked about it for a while. In simple terms - we tag, but only use players that will also provide the attacking element we need while doing it. Ambrose is a great negator, but sacrifices his attacking side to do it, therefore, he will never be used as a straight-up tagger. And anyone we do use to tag (Hepp, Myers, Smith, Langford, etc) will not appear to be an obvious and traditional ‘tagger’.

We need to put this one to bed at least for a while, now.

4 Likes

You don’t like flogging dead horses?