Joe Daniher's kicking for goal

The problem is obvious and the solution is simple.

He should run in straight towards the centre of the goal. He doesn’t. He runs out wide toward the left hand point post. Nine times out of ten, that’s where the ball ends up.

He needs to practise running in straight. Simple, basic rule.

Seriously, this is going to be a ten year long discussion. 

No need to start it early. 

I know its only early days but this is looking bad.

He is a decent field kick, but kicking for goal is below standard.

He has the Buddy arc going. I don't mind it. He'll find his mojo soon.

I know its only early days but this is looking bad.
He is a decent field kick, but kicking for goal is below standard.

So was Crameri last year and has appeared to improved out of sight this season.
Hurley has a new technique he put on show last night that worked so I would suggest whoever is helping the guys kick down at Windy Hill isn't doing such a bad job right at the moment.
He will improve.

It was the big issue, and I thought maybe he’d be a 50-50 bet, but at the moment he’s a 25-75. It really is well below AFL standards. 0.4 v North, 0.2 last night. He’s only a kid and its something that can improve and I’m sure it would, but I expected a lot better. Right now it would be a mental thing, you can see his eyes darting around when he is lining up, he’s not confident, he has no routine. Field kicking he is very good, so he can kick well, just get him working on a set routine that is repeatable, and get him practising over and over again.

He' a kid playing in the big leagues to early who obvviously tenses up on his goal kicking.

Give him a couple years to get the required core strength and cement his self confidence at the level and these early jitters.

300 games from now the only relevant  shot for goal from 2013 will be the one on the run against Brisbane that starts his youtube highlight packages.

^  Against gold  coast ya mean...?

^  Against gold  coast ya mean...?

Technically, but surely it was the begnning of the end for Michael Voss.

Joe arc

Can’t kick. Delist.

He never had such an obvious veer to the left in his runup when I saw him in the u18s.  Dunno where it's come from all of a sudden.

THE BUDDY ARC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He never had such an obvious veer to the left in his runup when I saw him in the u18s.  Dunno where it's come from all of a sudden.

I think Free Spirit is right. Nerves are affecting him.

Jobe Watson was at least as nervous and inaccurate as Joe Daniher in his early days.  He also ran out on an arc and tried to bend the ball back, and he also almost always missed.  He got his kicking right by going to the basic, classic technique of running in straight.  As soon as he started doing that he started scoring goals.  That got his confidence back, and now he's reverted to his couple of skips and an arc method, and mostly it works.

Joe needs to take a leaf out of his book.  Do it by the textbook, get it right.  If he spent a whole week practising running in straight, he'd master it, and maybe we'd see him bag a few against Richmond this week. 

Then when he's got his confidence back, he can see whether he really wants to revert to his junior footy habits.

ah hem, now referred as: The Daniher Arc

Lloydy has now twice said that he would take Essendon up if they offered him a small role at the club. Hopefully it happens during the pre-season!

i think it is very hard to force players to run straight and break players of their natural arcs. their whole action relies on kicking across their body. i think the trick is to try and minimise just how wide you go by working out in your run how to get a comfortable body position for the kicking action. Kennedy does this by stuttering and bringing his left shoulder forward of the ball which creates the angle which he like to kick across. it looks ridiculous but he is going at close to 75% this year which is fantastic (that's overall mind you, don't know about his set shots but i'd vouch they wouldn't be too much worse than that)

as a right footer who kicked across his body on set shots (indeed most of the time) i actually liked to start my run in by drifting ever so slightly towards my left and then would drift back to the right so my body ended up at a slight angle to the direction i wanted to kick and i could thus kick slightly across my body.

as a winger/bank flanker i never had a lot of set shots but always found this worked reasonably well for me and if on occasion i ran straight in they would come off terribly.

joe actually makes very nice contact with the ball and his leg comes through pretty straight so i think it is just a matter of getting him to tweak his run up so that he is kicking straight over the man on the mark and getting his body turned ever so slightly to favour his kicking action.

with some good coaching he should sort it out i reckon because i think his core technical elements (ball drop, ball strike, follow through) are all quite strong. 

Lloydy would fix his kicking in no time

I think Free Spirit is right. Nerves are affecting him.

Ive seen him kick 4.7 in the state champs.

It's a problem he has had for a while.

I reckon it is just a size thing. Because he is so large his ball drop isn't very compact as the ball needs to drop further.

It is just a small tweak in the action and a concentration thing.