John Barnes pushing to sue AFL over concussion

Onya Barnsey. Take’m to the cleaners.

7 Likes

It was Ty zantuck who was a cleaner.

And it’s very very sad how many of these guys end up driving garbage trucks or cleaning offices after a few years out of the game
Life comes at you fast.

1 Like

Not everyone is destined to be a real estate mogul.

2 Likes

Saw this on the late ABC news.

I wish them all the best for their class action.

2 Likes

First two reported cases of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in rugby league players.

Brain disease found in former NRL players for first time

By Glen Lauder

39 minutes ago

Posted

Brendan Elliot lies on the ground against the Rabbitohs|340x227

Photo: Brendan Elliot of the Knights receives medical care after a concussion in 2017. (AAP: Dan Himbrechts)

Related Story: Andrew Johns says NRL concussions may be ‘contributor’ to his epilepsy

Related Story: I endangered my friend in a grand final. I’ve regretted it ever since

Related Story: NRL to keep some concussion breaches secret

By conducting autopsies on two former rugby league players a leading Sydney researcher has discovered a degenerative brain disease associated with repeated head trauma.

The landmark finding is the first time Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), colloquially known as being “punch drunk”, has been identified in rugby league players anywhere in the world.

Associate Professor Michael Buckland, from the School of Medical Sciences at Sydney University, said both men were middle-aged ex-professionals who had each played more than 150 first grade NRL games over many years.

“Case one had a successful career after retirement and had been working up until his death. He did not abuse tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs,” Associate Professor Buckland wrote in his research.

However, his family members reported an increasing reliance on aide-memoires for daily activities in the years prior to his death, and difficulties remembering details of a significant life event.

“Case two had some issues during his transition to a post-playing career, but was productively employed up until his death,” Associate Professor Buckland wrote.

Kyle Turner is treated for concussion|700x467 Photo: Kyle Turner receives medical attention after a heavy knock in 2015. (AAP Image: Mick Tsikas)

In recent years, the NRL has released stringent guidelines for the management of concussion based on outcomes from the 2016 International Conference on Concussion in Sport.

In those guidelines, the NRL states that the welfare of the player, in the short and long term, is the most important element in the management of concussion.

Players who suffer a concussion need to undergo a strict head injury assessment (HIA), and are not allowed to return to training or playing until cleared by a doctor.

According to the NRL, a concussion occurs once in around three and a half matches.

The deadly disease was thrust into the public domain as a result of the 2015 film Concussion starring Will Smith, which was based on a forensic pathologist’s fight against America’s National Football League who attempted to cover up his research on repeated head injuries on players.

Associate Professor Buckland’s research was published in the online journal Acta Neuropathologica Communications.

Not the most robust study, N = 2, and only one of them had some kind of problem remembering things, the other one had trouble transitioning out of football.

No doubt it is a big concern for contact/collision sports and players, but we need more evidence.

We also need to account for the starting point for these players. Plenty of them appear to be coming off a pretty low base…

The clinical symptoms are not the key aspect here, rather it’s the pathology seen in the brain which is typical of what occurs in CTE subjects.

1 Like

Full text, from above source, for those who are interested:

https://doi.org/10.1186/s40478-019-0751-1

1 Like

Still alot of work needs doing across all codes. not to single out nrl, it’s just the easiest example at present, you can see players actively showing symptoms of concussion after a big hit, and they sometimes can be allowed to play on for a few minutes before getting sidelined for checks.

still better guidelines need to be made, but at the end of the day you have to accept it’s going to be apart of sports like this.

i keep going back to the fact there was info coming out of the states years back saying college players who had never had a recorded concussion (yes you could argue reporting of them is probably poor) had damage to the brain consistent with those who have had a few over there careers.
anytime you get impacted theoretically you have a chance to sustain brain damage, which is scary enough in itself.

on a sidenote i always wonder how much that mcphee hit from gia rattled his football processing ability as he was never really the same after that.
then you multiply that by how many players across the years who’s lives and or footballing careers may have been changed due to head injuries.

Anybody who thinks the footballers is a bad story on this front should check out Soldiers.

1 Like

New York Times just posted a major article and the AFL isn’t going to like it. John Barnes is a featured figure. The journo covers NFL medical issues. Needless to say the AFL isn’t presented in a positive light.

5 Likes

Which would open up an absolute avalanche of claims

1 Like

It’s almost two years since I wrote that post and you’ve just caught up with it ?

Doh…

BTW, I stand by what I wrote then. No doubt you work in finance. Even so, your pusillanimous, soulless, penny-pinching reply does you no credit.

Barnesy is one of our own. We owe him. Whatever it takes.

One of the most important parts of the article

Farkcarlton.

On a serious note, I’m not sure what the answer is. We all love AFL, NRL and ARU, for the collision sports they are - you can only do so much before it is a different sport.

It’s great we now have an idea of the problems associated with concussion, and this will help with prevention and treatment, but also with personal and club and personal responsibility For the risks involved.

Like I said, I’m not sure what the answers are and Fark carlton.

Because that went well last time lol.

Concussion is something that needs to be taken seriously worldwide in all sports, not just cos barnesy is our own.

1 Like

The most affecting parts of the article for me are the images, the close up of John Barnes looking lost and John Platten enduring the “transcranial magnetic stimulation”. Both seem a long way from the Grand Final glory they both experienced.
One of the difficult issues with concussion is that the attendant damage isn’t immediately apparent. It can literally take years to reveal itself, but try telling that to young footballers who consider the next week, or even the next quarter, an unendurable eternity. That’s where the powers that be need to step in and say no, clearly. And if they have failed to do so, then the authorities are culpable, even if the Government has gifted them legislation to exclude footballers from normal work place protection. If that means the game has to change, so be it.

1 Like

If I worked in finance I’d forecast that that parsnippy or whatever you said answer to the issue would be stupid even for us.

I’d agree with you if that was the world we live in.

AFL no players equals no show and no entertainment. It is a dangerous game, people say not as bad as rugby, I don’t know about that. You don’t think the AFL have been warned about this over and over? They are happy to sit pat and wait.

I hoped the club are supporting John Barnes and his family.

Now that the NRL have proven evidence via autopsies of deceased player’s brains. The AFL will have to sit up and take notice and perhaps look at more rule changes they are good at that and if it happens, at least it will happen quickly.

Just make the AFL an e-sport and be done with it.