John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

McGowan just had to mention how many days its been since 4/9/04 didn’t he? absolutely ■■■■ journalism, Richmond went the same amount of time between without winning a final and I didnt see anyone counting the days

1 Like

Article will be out of date by tomorrow

Legacy narrative already?

I don’t mind what he’s saying.

When he took over I was scared that our club was ruined and set for 20 years of pain. Not two finals losses in 3 years mediocrity, but real bottom 4 like Carlton for a generation.

He leaves with the club strong off and on field he deserves some credit for that.

I don’t think he has the burning fire or up to date footy thinking to help us take the next step. But i do thank him for at least leaving the place in a better state than he found it. A lot of coaches don’t.

52 Likes

John has done his best in a very difficult situation.
Thanks and Best wishes to him

7 Likes

That last paragraph sums it up perfectly for me

2 Likes

What ever helps you feel better about yourself John. Listing 2 finals embarrassments as “achievements” speaks for itself.

The majority of the things he listed are to do with off field, not much regarding on field performances, which you know as a senior coach is an integral part of your performance.

5 Likes

No other coach in history has had to deal with the implications, short and longer term of this;

“Worsfold inherited a club reeling from the supplements saga that saw 34 current and former players suspended and Bombers legend James Hird eventually resign as coach.”

8 Likes

This is exactly correct. I bet at some point in the future the club will recognise as such and will end up making him a life member or similar. He has done a superb job considering the clusterfark he started with.

21 Likes

Speak more about the club than he himself. Club is happy just to fall into finals, can’t make tough calls.

PP said we are strong off and on field, not sure how we are strong on-field, we are junk.

3 Likes

I hope I never in my life do I become as bitter about anything, or anyone, as some posters here have become about John Worsfold.

20 Likes

My favourite Worsfold coaches game was round 1, 2017.
That was a great day. Chatted to Sheeds and he signed my jumper.
Met heaps of blitzers at a fantastic meet-up before the game, walked with Fish for a while, went up to shake Sam Newman’s hand to thank him for being there and he said the way I strode up to him made him think I was gonna belt him, which I thought was hilarious.
It was a beautiful day.
And then I watched from the grog squad as we played some great footy, got out to a lead, Hawthorn came back at us but we snubbed them out pretty quick.

27 Likes

Worsfold was brought in to do something and he has succeeded.

I’m excited for the new coaches to finally take over so we can close of the Worsfold era, but it was necessary, and the right, if not only, course of action that we could have taken IMO.

In 4 years we are finally back to resembling a pretty normal football club. Considering how dire things were during the preceding 3-4 years I reckon thats a very quick turnaround, and one that may not have occurred had we brought in someone else as head coach.

Just be thankful for where we are, stop ■■■■■■■■ about Worsfold and move on IMO.

15 Likes

The worrying thing is that the unjustified bitterness against Worsfold is the way they operate, and may in fact extend to other aspects of their lives.

1 Like

I find it interesting that he’s not even sure if he will go back to Perth or not. Seems pretty apparent that if offered a good role he will happily stay in Melbourne.

Seems totally at odds with the story we were fed in relation to the handover.

3 Likes

You’re pretty bitter about wimms rants tbh.

Imagine after the last majority of the decade we’re finally back to hating each other and how ■■■■ Essendon is.

Strong for on field is probably the wrong word.

I’ve read this about five times and I still have no idea what it means. You’re becoming more like BSD everyday!

1 Like

Reckon Woosha being out is more about Rutten being available…

Got a feeling Rutten will be a beauty.

On the talk that JD and Raz being out of the leadership group? Ridic…after that off season both players would be embarrassed to be be considered.

The truth is, JD and Raz need to show now they want to be part of our future. If not they will be traded at year end. We wont match bids on Joe if he doesnt want to be there and Raz will be traded with a year to go to maximize return.