John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

I think the frustrating thing we get whenever Worsfold has a press conference is we really find out nothing about the team, coaches or players. I understand that he doesn’t have to, but the master coaches do have the ability to give the media, public/fans and players some sort of conviction and detail about where our future lies. If it’s all about this vague notion of building towards something in the future when is this promised time going to eventuate?
I watched the 1993 grand final today and you can’t tell me that Mecuri had a ceiling put on his ability or achievements at 19 in that Grand Final by Sheedy or any of the other coaches. And that includes of all of the successful Premiership Essendon teams of the PAST!
We want passion from a coach and some detailed strategies that can be conveyed to the players and then as a by-product to the fans. This gives us confidence that the 17th flag is going to be achievable rather than a mystery which may or may not happen.
Worsfold is just not capable of this and has always had one foot and his heart in WA.
I don’t know about Rutten, but I hope he can communicate better or we will be in limbo for another 20 years.

2 Likes

I think at this stage there are no formlines. I reckon we can start to read something into it after round 4

1 Like

I’d be surprised if we have a good read after round 4.

We just aren’t playing anyone of note. If we lose we will know something. If we win, we still won’t really know how we stack up.

Yeah we could be 4-0 and still be ordinary. We’ve been given an easy run to start the season.

1 Like

Our problems right now are forward of centre. Right now we look very solid defensively and we are much harder to score against. We are set up a lot better behind the football. Problem is, we haven’t put our dominance in games, especially early, on the scoreboard. It will be a work in progress until we get a forward group that are settled and build some chemistry with each other. That will only come with games.

I don’t expect even if we beat the Dees and Blues and are 4-0 that we will get too much credit. We will have beaten 4 non-finals teams in 2019 including 16th and 17th from last year. That’s fine, we will have to prove ourselves against the better teams.

3 Likes

Formlines?

Regarding form:
8 teams have 1 win - we are one of them.
8 teams have 1 loss
2 teams have 1 draw

We’re third on the ladder in a shortened season, with an away win in Sydney. That’s good enough for me at this stage. The rest is white noise.

2 Likes

Disagree based on the first quarter in Sydney.

Got some love from Jonathan Brown on Fox Footy for how the succession plan appears to be going. The main points are that there are clearly defined roles that both Worsfold and Rutten have, which gives clarity to everyone and there’s no mixed messages to the players, and secondly that Woosha is a willing participant in it and it’s not a shotgun situation like Malthouse and Buckley at Collingwood.

1 Like

3 Likes

Of course he’s a willing participant, it was his idea.

Wants to get home to his Family/Life ASAP.

Didn’t watch the game hey?

I watched both.

1 Like

It wasn’t his idea. Nor was it a treasonous coup.
But even if it had of been a shotgun job people would never know, because he would have behaved the same way. Worsfold is not Millhouse, he’s a decent bloke who wants the best for our football club.

6 Likes

Can we sack him still?

Worsfold should have never got that contract extension on the back of nothing

Add it to the pile of “Essendons dumb decisions over the years“

He is acting like an employee finishing out their time after handing in their resignation.

No care, no worries

1 Like

Xavier nice guy approach

Better off at AFL headquarters

You guys are going to be so disappointed in twelve months when Rutten is no better.

8 Likes

I wanted Cara as senior coach but totally understand not wanting the job