John Worsfold

I think all coaches cop criticism from their fans at some point or another. Chris Scott has something like a 80% W/L record but after losing to the Pies he copped a fair whack from Cats supporters. If a coach is going to accept the praise when they are winning they have to accept flak when the make a mistake. I haven’t seen too many calling for Woosha’s head but he has definitely made some errors and even he would admit that. I’d like to see him wield the axe a bit more and think some of his tactics have been baffling but I also think he is the right man for the job currently

1 Like

lol… the irony…

2 Likes

I would think a hospital orderly could have a very valid opinion on how a heart surgeon goes about his job.
It’s called look, listen, learn, question. It’s amazing how much people can learn by being aware of what is going on around them, reading material from informed experts, and ill informed experts, listening to conversations and questioning others who have had experience.

I always thought if anything happened to Kevin Sheedy, Geraldine could probably have coached the team for a while. Janet Holmes a court went successfully from housewife to CEO on her husbands death, much to the chagrin of the board.
You don’t have to do something to know how to do it.

2 Likes

Watching John Worsfold press conference on Tuesday, if you analyse what the reporter said to John Worsfold ,and he response .I don’t think he thinks we can make the finals this year, because reporter asked him,if the two losses too Melbourne and Carlton. reporter said it might come back to hurt you…John Worsfold response was, you have to win enough games ,so I think he knows we can’t make the finals, he’s acting like ,he still.coaching without suspended players

ffs…stop trying to make your posts look like you can’t farking write.
It’s not fooling people.

there’s a lot of trolls on this site

1 Like

No shiit.

:laughing:

2 Likes

SUBTERFUGE!

2 Likes

And we have troll tests for them.

Was Peter Cransberg a strong pack mark?

What two things was Michael Symons best known for?

Answer correctly and Ill believe you arent a Carlton supporter.

2 Likes

Number 10. Darren Bewick

10 Likes

It kind of sucks that they didn’t have the decency to tell you, 'boot.

3 Likes

Absolutely

My main gripe against Worsfold is he doesn’t particularly care about winning at present.

I genuinely think he is happy to instill a playing style, and expects the results to flow eventually. If that happens sooner or later, he doesn’t mind.

Generally I’d have no problem with that. But I had a problem with it vs Brisbane last year because it landed us a spoon. And I have a problem with it in the early stages of this year because I really really wanted Jobe and friends to have a chance to play finals. Admittedly that chance is not gone, but dropping two winnable games really makes it that much more difficult.

3 Likes

I’d extend his contract for two years - You should be playing finals or even sneak a premiership in 5 years.

So, no problems then, right?

Hoping the players sort it out themselves is pretty dumb. Bomber used to say it as well.

What works better is a person who sits up at a higher vantage point and able to see the game unfold more easily, experienced in strategy, player movements, reacting to the flow of a game, surrounded by a team of like-minded assistants who could instruct players accordingly. Someone who could… i don’t know, coach them perhaps.

3 Likes

Notion that Worsfold doesn’t particularly care about winning is ridiculous

Just because he isn’t punching walls or going off his nut in box doesn’t mean he isn’t competitive

The guy was one of the toughest competitors with white line fever that there was and captain of a team that won a lot.

He may well lose the plot behind closed doors for all we know. But I’d suggest he more be about making the players feel bad for them not performing to the level they’d committed to each other to do. Effort. Ball movement. Skill execution.

Definitely was ■■■■■■ about effort after Crows game. And frankly the players responded big time in 2nd half after likely getting a spray in whatever way he delivered it.

1 Like

Not advocating deliberately losing but if you’re not in contention for a finals WIN you should be in a building phase… Scraping into finals is a waste of time. Worsfold is giving the older guys a chance to help transition the new guys and do so with a few wins whilst it happens.

Stuff the wins, give the kids a chance and do a proper rebuild. Is Hooker the long term option at FF? Dunno. But worsfold needs to work it out quick and then give it to Stewart to make it or break it… Hooker then moves back. Likewise Bellchambers… more upside than Leuny so give him the opportunity. Gleeson, Mckenna, et al… give them three or four games and give them the ball. Stop d&cking around with thinking we’re too big to rebuild. Crows, GWS, Dogs… they’re all young and peaking at the right time. Window opens for worsfold in 18 months to two years… Play the kids and everyone gets off his back unless theres no sign of improvement in 12 months.

I’ll never be on the ‘stuff the wins’ bandwagon.
Wins matter.
Belief matters.
It’s the difference between digging deep and going again, and rolling your eyes and saying ‘here we go again.’
I don;t want at least one of Stewart, Francis or Langford playing as a third tall because they need the games, I want them playing because it makes us better.

14 Likes