John Worsfold

**'We’ve got 4 coaches who’ve all been AFL senior coaches at some point, they all are very experienced.strong text

That’s really my point - are they any good or are they just yes men?

Oh dear. I hope you are being deliberately provocative with this ridiculous false dichotomy. Reeling off "Ashby over ‘insert gun’ drafted 20 picks later in the draft as if it was a binary decision is utter nonsense. But I suspect you know this.

Mason Wood wasn’t picked that far after Ashby, out of curiosity if love to go back over recruiters notes and see what players we were after at each draft and if guys like Wood ever even came up in discussion or made the short list.

1 Like

I have no concerns with coaching group. Harvey is far from a yes man, McKenna would have no issue saying what he wants to Worsfold.

Neeld is a development coach and proven to be very good at that and at the analysis side of coaching. Man management left a little to be desired in top job only.

As mentioned above Woosh is clearly trying to balance building chemistry in a team just newly together whilst also seeing who is worth persisting with and who isn’t.

Much of our team is not up to it be that talent, experience, pace, work rate, defensive intent.

We have a lot of work to do and probably a period of going further back as the older players transition out of team, as we don’t have a core of 24-28yr olds coming through together. Its 24 and younger.

On this I agree whole-heartedly. It would be fascinating to see those decisions playing out.

100%
It’s the only real way to see any sense in what he’s done this year.

3 Likes

I would rather Myers back than Zerrett.

Can’t believe a bloke that has coached this side for 7 games is losing.

3 Likes
Exciting glimpses enthuse Coach Simon Conway - @SimonConway12 8 May 2017 11:43 AM

Essendon Coach John Worsfold says he was excited by the football his team produced in the opening half against Fremantle.

The side was unable to maintain their form, as the Dockers charged home in hot conditions to eventually run out comfortable winners.

But it was the Bombers who started best with the lead getting out to 27 points during the second quarter, before the home side recorded 11 of the last 12 inside 50s for the half, to reduce the margin at the main break to 13 points.

The Bombers record now stands at three wins and four losses.

“It’s a hard road when you’re trying to practice and learn in the heat of a season, which is the reality for us,” Essendon Coach John Worsfold said.

“We’re prepared to do the hard work.

“That the question I want to ask the players, ‘are they going to enjoy the challenge of knuckling down and going through this phase?’

“All the indications are they are, they’re ready to work hard, they are working hard.

“We’re seeing some really good things happening.

“We couldn’t sustain it today but I thought in that first half some of the footy we played was really testing Freo out on their home ground.

“The way we moved the ball, they were really struggling to stop us so we were pretty excited about that.”

Joe Daniher was the Bombers leading goal kicker. He finished with three goals while also recording 20 disposals, seven marks and five inside 50s.

“Joey is a very good footballer and he’s going to continue to improve,” Worsfold said.

“He’s still in his development phase as a tall forward and there is plenty of upside still.

“He’s a good player, he’s got areas to improve on, there is no doubt.

“He’s a developing player, but he’s a very talented developing player.

“It’s exciting to watch.”

The match also marked the return of David Myers who played across half back in his first senior match since 2015.

“’Myersy’ fought out pretty well,” Worsfold said.

“It was great to have him back, he’s worked really hard, he’s had some serious injuries throughout his career, so it was great to see him back and he’s got through the game which is awesome.

“Hopefully he can build now and show what he’s capable of which we’ve only ever seen glimpses of.”

1 Like

When mistakes were made when Hird was coach, it was all Hird’s fault, so now it must be all Woosha’s fault.
This is our getting to know you better year. I hope it works!!!

And when things went right, Thompson did them.

Knights copped it, Hird copped it, Thompson copped it, time for Worsfold to get some heat too.

2 Likes

Huge cop out. He’s done a lot right too, we are just a ordinary side

The only people who think Myers is a defender are the idiots who watched us 6 years ago and now don’t give 2 fks about us because we’ve become that irrelevant. It was one of the most bizarre coaching moves I’ve seen.

1 Like

Perhaps Wooshas way of integrating Myers back into AFL pace was on the backline rather than the middle?

Fark I thought we needed his big body to win some clearances in the 3rd as we started to tire and out tackles just slipped off.

No he couldn’t have won with blitz. Who cares. He needed to do what was best by the team, and currently a number of players are performing worse than 2016. That is on him.

I was calling for the backline to be kept stable with last year before the season started. So I’m not sure why this is called ‘hindsight’.

And what is this ‘we’ on Zaha? I’m on the record saying he’s been what he is and am fine with him in the side.

In light of their continued inability to produce anything close to a credible performance under any level of expectation, as evidenced by their ■■■■ weak display against Hardball Hawthorn on the weekend, I’m gonna say if they’re better than us it aint by much. They are however best in the comp at getting unjustifiably ahead of themselves.

Woosh has proven to be 100% correct that they “hit the wall”, still irks me that Heppell downplayed/disagreed with the statement.

3 Likes

Yeah…sure you did.

Ho humm,
Scratch my bumm,
Here we go again.
What a joke,
Blame the coach,
Keyboard peanuts are so lame.

What!!! Worsfold has lost the players??!?

{I probably shouldn’t make jokes like this, as someone i,s take it lik!ely to lyn1 seriously}

I am biased but having watched him closely as a junior over here I wanted Daniel Menzel as our first pick. As it turns out we got more out of Melksham than what Menzel has done currently so I got that wrong

1 Like