John Worsfold

That’s an interesting position to take… yeah Menzel has missed bulk footy but I’d contend that the footy he has played has been better than anything Melksham has produced even if there was only half of it. I’d also reckon Geelong will get a metric ■■■■ tonne more out of Menzel than Melbourne will get out of Melksham from this point on.

He gives you just enough at the selection table this week to think he may just not be completely blind to what’s going on.

You ■■■■■■■ woosh now I don’t know what to think

Funny isn’t it. Woosh isn’t under pressure so there’s no controversy, but imagine if Buckley said his team hit the wall and Pendles spent the week doing media saying he didn’t think that was correct? He’d be sacked before the next round.

The thing about assessing Worsfold, like any reasonable assessment you need to step back from the emotion and the noise and be truly objective. Hard to do as a football fan, especially after losing to Carlton or being flogged by Melbourne, harder to do still when you consider the cards he/we have been dealt. Once you get over the romantic thought that we might be a finals winning side this year as everyone will come back with 2000 like fire, Jobe is still elite and Hooker will kick 60… it’s much easier to understand what is driving his decisions. This is a guy in his first real year looking at the list. He wants to build a game plan built on a hard press, quick transition, skill full kicking game, for mine I think it’s great. I like the fact that you can recognise the brand of football we want to play and it’s a modern and exciting game plan. I’m sure knowing Worsfold the player and coach he will want to instil a hard contested ball edge, I’m equally sure it will come.

• I was losing my mind at Myers being played in defence last week but now it seems pretty obvious that he needs to understand what else Myers can do. If he can’t play a role away from the contest should he be played at all, does he stay on the list next year?
  • Francis in and out based on fitness and not breaking down. From a long term perspective they feel it’s in his best interest to be introduced to AFL this way
  • They clearly have a long term view on Langford being an inside mid, that said he is going to get some VFL time to work on that rather than playing small minutes in the centre in the 1s
  • They want to give the Irishman a good run and see if there is a player there and are accepting of the mistakes
  • They want to build a forward line around Hooker, Daniher. Tippa, Fantasia, Green so a mix of Ambrose, Dea, Gleeson, Brown, Hurley needs to continue to be tried in defence
  • has a preference for a third tall over Stewart but now is going to give it a look
  • doesn’t want to play two rucks, so Daniher is the obvious number 2
  • in terms of ‘playing the kids’ with Laverde, Ridley and Morgan injured and the relatively average form of everyone else he doesn’t have a lot of options. I’m sure Mutch, Begley and Redman will get a go this year. I’m sure Worsfold is looking for an opportunity to pick them.

I think the coaching group and the club is well aware of where this team is at and that is it is predominately building a team around Daniher, Heppel, Merrett, Fantasia, parish, McGrath, Langford, Laverde, Tippa, Francis, Hurley, Colyer, Hartley, Green and hopefully a few others. As a fan you want the club to communicate where they are at so you can realign expectations which were far too high after round 1. Well, factor this against a large debt and a strong desire to grow membership and a who the fark knows how these guys will come back scenario. To be honest I really don’t think that anything isn’t really going to plan. We need to continue to try things this year and hopefully start bedding down the game plan and hit the draft and turn over the list. Going and getting free agents and trading for guns isn’t where we are at because in simple terms we are at this stage in our genesis a reasonably undesirable destination and need to improve our position organically and we will, it’s just not a quick road.

42 Likes

:+1:Please post more.

4 Likes

Well ■■■■ me. A sensible, realistic, considered opinion based in fact and/or sound logical arguments. Well played sir, you just smashed the internerd dichotomy to pieces. Bravo!

Post of the mother flippin century. Frame it, put on a wall.

2 Likes

If it was me, I’d be stopping right then and there. High water mark reached. Work here is done.

Onya Sugar_winton!

It’s a postition that’s easier to take a week after a loss. I can certainly foam like a champ when the blood is up.

4 Likes

You’d think after such a humbling year as we had last year that a few more might’ve taken a more pragmatic view about where we’re at. Evidently not.

BOMBERS 'ONE WIN DOWN'

ESSENDON coach John Worsfold says he had hoped to be one win better off at this stage of the season but knew it would take time for the club’s returning stars to find their feet.

The Bombers sit 12th on the ladder with a 3-4 record but have lost four of their past five matches in a disappointing period after scoring two wins to start the season.

“One more win I would have been rapt with,” Worsfold said on RSN 927.

“So (we’re) maybe one win down. But it’s so hard to predict. Everything I was looking at throughout the summer was, how talented is our list? But the bigger question was how quickly can we bring it all together (and) get everyone back to playing at their absolute best? That has taken a while.

“There’s no doubt that we’ve seen that Michael Hurley in his last two weeks has started to play the footy that we know he’s capable of and Cale Hooker probably similar. Then it’s just bringing the whole group together.”

Essendon meets Geelong at the MCG tomorrow night for its Country Game.

3 Likes

Sugar Winton what a fantastic opinion, coupled with facts, that has given me some relief!

I mean fark, if Woosha was just concerned about wins, he’d know we are slowing down in second halves and switch to a more defensive game plan.

He’d get Bird in to negate a key mid, because he would see the midfield is struggling so much.

I reckon when he said ‘we will be better off in the 2nd half of the year’, it was not only because of the players getting to know each other’s games more.

But more importantly it is probably Woosha himself, knowing the strengths and limitations of each player.

If I watch the games and assess selection from the perspective you presented, it actually makes sense!

Thank you.

It certainly isn’t…

Great post.
Now we need something equally good from Lyn1; just for balance

4 Likes

Was a good interview on SEN earlier on. Explained what they’re up to in regards to managing certain players.

What was said?

JOHN SAID FOR YOU TO SHUT UP.

About the wall

6 Likes

So… they clicked tonight?

He could be having the end of a Thai massage in the coaches box and you wouldn’t know.

Iceman

2 Likes