John Worsfold

Threw Hooker back late in the quarters and then again in the last to try and slow the game down. Kept Stewart deep in attack to keep Taylor and Mackie honest.

Whoever is in charge of our plays from the kick in and center bounces needs to be sacked

4 Likes

The kick ins have been s h i t all year. Something needs to change, we just go to the same side everyvtime.

This bloke knows what he’s doing, have faith.

We haven’t got some inexperienced bloke in the role, we’ve got the best.

7 Likes

Hooray.

It’s not that we go to the same side.
It’s that we stack all our talls and a majority of our mids to one side of the field. It’s predictable because there is no one else on the other flank.

Don’t get why we don’t have at least one tall on the other flank just to keep the opposition honest.

I don’t know why we don’t stack one side like we did… and then try to run the space on the opposite side of the ground.

This game was a case in point, we were killed in clearances, but our strength is our running in space. So stack one side of the field and then use the space on the other side.

1 Like

Don’t tell Albert Thurgood this

1 Like

It’s pretty clear that our game plan involves wanting to go wide before cutting back through the middle from the half back line, and it looks fantastic when it works.

But with the kick outs it is almost impossible to do this as the opposition are set up to defend. We saw last night when we bomb it down the line, and we saw it Anzac Day. It’s obviously easy to defend and it puts our backline under immense pressure.

So we absolutely need some variety. Hurls kicks out often but why can’t he be a marking option? Why don’t we use Hartley to kick beyond the wall? Even that huddle that was in vogue about 10 years ago just to mix it up? But we are predictable and opponents are waking up to it

Woosh poached this bloke of Crows IIRC

Love watching these vids. And evident that we not only getting defensive pressure inside 50 but all players structured up as they should outside 50 as well.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking there’s probably a couple of reasons why they continue to go the long option to the flank for those kick ins and I reckon 1 is damage minimization. There’s big numbers there, so even if we don’t get a mark, any entry coming back in is hopefully going to be rushed or pressured resulting in a defensive mark or at worst not a mark conceded. and it’s the lowest risk option when you’re under pressure. I’d suggest the execution of it hasn’t been great, particularly numbers at the fall of the ball, but I can sort of see why they do it.

Absolutely it is.

Its the smalls/mids at the fall of the ball who should then turn the thing into a stoppage or just grunt it further down the field.
When the opposition is up and about and all over us, I’d rather that then trying to hit some insane cute kick that’s not on and give up a certain goal.

All that vid told me is Tippa covers 4x more distance than most of our players in contests.

■■■■■■ ripper player.

2 Likes

I had only really been focusing on Tippa’s tackle. But he did three things in that play. The kick off the ground, the pressure on Dangerfield and then the tackle on Selwood.

He had me until the Individual Brilliance comment.

Reminded me of this…

3 Likes

Hooker going back late in the quarters has saved my faith, bring on the rest of the year Woosha my faith is restored

5 Likes

That’s awesome!

Yep I think we only have gave up one red time shot for the whole game because of a jobe shank and we got several shots on of our own.

I certainly prefer the AA defender pushing back than Joe. Hooker still hasn’t quite got his hands back either, still dropped a few clunks I’d expect him to swallow. Still a lot of upside in this squad which is going to come out over the course of the year.

If we maintain consistency and reduce the error rate (which we did against the cats) I think we are a pretty dangerous team.

That said Essington will probably show up on Sunday and I’ll be singing the opposite tune.

2 Likes

And screw everyone (sorry Dys) who misinterpreted his ‘hit the wall’ comment.
Every sportsman hits the wall.
And then you break through it.

Colyer though…Colyer needs at least a week in the magoos.
Tell him it doesn’t matter what he does, as long as he hits his target.
His friggin’ training this week should entirely consist of thirty metre kicks to a teammate.
Every one he misses, he runs a friggin’ lap.

Could be elite.
But miles off that at the moment.

3 Likes

I was thinking about this today. The 3 players who are struggling with their kicking, are the 3 that struggled in their earlier days, and who have returned after an extended lay-off - Jobe, Hooker & Colyer. They may just have to relearn.

5 Likes

Has too much of an ego and doesn’t know what he is doing…allegedly.

1 Like