John Worsfold

I was referring to letting the players find the solutions.

As I said it won’t happen in a week, perhaps not even a year. But if it toughens them up and gives them the confidence in their ability to handle whatever a game may throw up at them then I’m all for it.

They players have been left to find the solution since the hird days. Haven’t found it.

That’s not true. James was a very ‘instructive’ coach.

I listed those players in particular because they are the ones who have been repeatedly singled out as driven individuals who hate losing by multiple sources within the club, and by their actions on the field.
Remember McGraths thumping the turf when an opponent got a cheap one?

It’s your pessimistic assumption that they are being “conditioned” in some way.
Perhaps if you accessed a broader range of sources and opinions, and could also make some coherent points about why nothing, in your opinion, has changed around the club in the last 7 years we might actually have a more interesting discussion.
My point is that a fair bit has changed.
Hopefully it will succeed.
This “culture” argument is beginning to stink almost as badly as racial stereotyping, gender roles, and athe divine right of kings.
Its only reality is in the mind of the one who believes it.

3 Likes

[quote=“Darli, post:3517, topic:2976, full:true”]I can’t think of one Essendon supporter from the Board down who wasn’t gutted by Sunday’s game.
[/quote]What about Aaron Francis?

I heard he supported us as a kid.

2 Likes

Lolz touché

Geelong’s triple premiership team was one side where the players dictated things on the field according to the state of the game themselves and they went ok.

It’s hardly an untried concept or one with a proven record of failure.

Our whole coaching team needs to be looked at. There needs to be major change at the end of 2017.

IMO the board needs to be looked at as well.

Interesting.

I’d like to hear your reasoning behind those statements.

If you don’t think Hurley is self-driven, I don’t think you know what the word means. He looks ready to thump someone every time he loses a contest, let alone a match.

I’m still impressed with Woosha as a coach; after last year we didn’t know what we would get this season. He has got us playing brilliant football at times and when we play well, it’s driven by the youth. I certainly think he has us on the right track, despite Sunday’s showing.

5 Likes

When Woosha came on board he lost half his team and most of the morale in the space of a few months. He then spent a year trying to rebuild morale and provide some hope to the masses, using young players and top-ups. It was actually quite successful.

In his second year he has got a very good forward line structure set up (when was the last time we had one of those?), a pretty decent backline (still some areas of improvement) but a faltering midfield. Still the signs are there that the game style is quite strong when it is being adhered to and we have some seriously good wins. Unfortunately when the players are not on mentally the game falls apart fairly quickly.

If you had asked me after Hird resigned that we would look the way we do this year then i would have been delighted. Not because I accept mediocrity but simply because I expected us to be gutted as a playing team (mentally/emotionally) with no forwards, no mids and a decent backline only. I thought we would bleed players like Brisbane has and would be left destroyed for many years.

Instead we have a pretty good side to build on and just need a fix for the midfield.

If Woosha has achieved that in 1 1/2 years, then I expect he can fix the midfield in the same time and have a really high quality side.

That’s right folks he has had 1 1/2 years to fix a broken side, and the reality is even less time than that in some respects (suspended players issue).

Some of you need to learn some patience.

17 Likes

Unfortunately there’s no communication b/w coach and players

Yeah I don’t think they’ve even met.

4 Likes

Troll alert

1 Like

The idea that the coaches don’t instruct and direct the players is a Blitz furphy. One that’s largely disproved by the many instances of coaches doing so on camera, or players and coaches openly describing plans and moves afterward.

Of course unless the club gives us a detailed breakdown of the entire gameplan, match day moves and list strategy there will always be idiots who think that they don’t exist.

1 Like

lol

1 Like

so you want me to access a broader range of opinions, while you sit there and say, player x is driven, because multiple (albeit unidentified sources in your OP) sources from inside the club, claim those players are driven ? right.

Maybe if you didn’t just regurgitate others opinions and assume the are right, maybe you’d be able to see what is becoming apparent to more of the supporter base, or not.
If you need to live in a bubble where we are just around the corner from success, , then i’ll wish you the best, you’ll need it.

You just did it again.
No reasons, no details, just sweeping opinions ignoring the points raised in my response.
Attack the person not the argument.
if it’ll keep you happy (not that anything will it seems)

Multiple sources include
Interviews with past and present coaches (including TAC coaches)
Testimonials, often unsolicited, from team mates in numerous interviews relating to how hard those particular blokes train, drive standards, undertake extra training and review sessions efc
Observations, not just mine, but from respected judges (Leigh Matthews and a handful of others) about how those players react to losing a contest on the field.

I could go on but I think I’ll go back to my happy, connected, bubble.
In parting, you’re another I’ll refer to my post about the physiology of pain ie bad losses, in the Bad Losses thread.
Your reptile brain is over stimulated.

2 Likes

Surely that works AFTER you’ve given them ways in which to succeed, and then they figure out which ways are best.

As an analogy, If you wanted to build a plane, would you go to a first day apprentice and say, here here’s some tools, go build me a plan, you’ll figure it out on your own ?

IMO leaving it to them at this stage of most of their development cycles is just setting them up for failure.
cos not only do they have to put up with all the stress’s of playing the game, let alone on the 2 hours every week it counts, when ■■■■■ hitting the fan they have to come up with their own solutions how to fix it ?

and as a coach i’d imagine that’d be fraught with danger. At the end of the day, If they haven’t worked it out by next year, the calls for his head will only get louder.
I doubt his job would be saved by the notion of, well i didn’t fail, the players failed due to not finding the right solutions when games were on the line.

Surely it’d make more sense for the coach to be absolutely crystal clear on what they want and expect from his players, set a solid foundation and then after they show for sustained amount of time they can start to be left to their own devices about how to manage the game when things aren’t going well.

Like Crazybomber, sorry if it seems like i’m having a go at you or picking on you, I just think this club and players need to be held on a tight lease UNTIL they can show they deserve not to be, not the other way around.

So the excellent wins we’ve had, the functioning forward & backline, weren’t showing them ways to succeed?

1 Like