John Worsfold

Haven’t heard anything about Solomon but mentioned a couple of weeks ago I’d heard about McVeigh. Maybe there was some truth in it

Would love mcveigh for a year.

We can just keep taking the best retiree each year, stick him at half back to add consistency and experience for our young kids.

Its the position we normally just give to mature-agers anyway.

Soloman, mcveigh and kelly?

And Mcveigh’s calf goes pop in rd 2,

1 Like

What’s the deal with Solomon, haven’t heard or read much on his coaching potential.

Been an assistant at Freo under Harvs then GC under Bluey and Rocket. It’s not a dream apprenticeship, never coached a team that’s played finals.

Does seem like an odd choice, seemingly we want an Essendon person? Why the ■■■■ would we care?

1 Like

Its the vibe

1 Like

Oh. My. Farkin. Lord.

McVeigh is actually gonna happen :frowning:

4 Likes

If we get McVeigh, both McVeigh and Jackets should get their heads checked.

2 Likes

Liked Solly in the early days, but boy he could do some dumb stuff at times. Can we get McPhee in as an assistant while we’re at it?

1 Like

McVeigh? Really?

This off-season is going to be yet another cluster-fark.

I hate “me too” football strategies before they’re proven. Are stevie J and Sam Mitchell actually going to be good coaches?

Remember when every young coach needed a mentor coach because Hird got one? That worked well.

2 Likes

Ryder and Hibberd are having their best seasons yet. Carlisle was probably better only in 2013. Melk has had a career best season (possibly bettered only by 2013), but is still a hack. Monfries is cooked and Crameri’s season was written off early due to injury.

I think reckon it’s fair to say that returning players at other clubs have faired better than those at ours. Makes me wonder if it’s management or some other reason. That Ryder, Hibberd, Carlisle and Melk have had career best seasons or close to it suggests that we could have done things better. Only Hurley has played career best footy from our lot, though Hooker has been more than credible playing a relatively unfamiliar role.

1 Like

The mentor coach won’t exist anymore because the young coach won’t exist anymore. Voss, Hird and a lesser extent Buckley have ensured that

1 Like

“We’d like to offer you an assistant coaching job when you retire.”

“Sure, but you have to gift me a season of footy first, despite me being pretty much done.”

“Sold!”

5 Likes

Just to add to Fogs rumour Ed dropped a similar hint this morning on Triple M about Solomon and Essendon.

Didn’t elaborate but the word must be about in the industry that he’ll be an assistant at Essendon next year.

In regards to succession planning, got no fkn interest. If Worsfold is our coach, that’s who I want as senior coach til he’s done at the club. I want him to be our next premiership coach.

8 Likes

McVeigh is massively important for Sydney still. Hes such a smart footballer. They were rubbish when he was injured. Id love to get his footy nouse to Essendon. We need good footy brains at the club. Id put him straight into coaching but if a season playing helps then so be it.

9 Likes

For those bagging Solly, he has been talked up in the media as a very smart coach.

Media eh?

5 Likes

Tough defenders do have a history of making good coaches.

I must say he never seemed like a ‘smart footballer’ but that doesn’t always mean much.