John Worsfold

It’s pretty simplistic to look at it in that way though.

What if Leuenberger had already played out longer in the quarter than he had normally would in a game that was a very hot contest. Remembering he’d only been playing VFL level intensity leading into the game.

If Leuey then pinged a hammy/Achilles as needed rest but couldn’t get to bench and was out for rest of game it would have been worse.

Robbed us of a rotation and meant JD had to spend rest of game in ruck and Hooker would have been double teamed.

The attacking of Worsfold I often am amused by when he has more experience than most AFLcoaches league wide.

1 Like

I’m…amused…at the suggestion this could possibly have any relevance whatsoever.
Maybe we should see what David Parkin’s up to.

Short-sighted.

Is Sheedy available? We’d be mad to not at least enquire about a 4 time premiership coach.

Relevant as he’s coached a flag before. He is someone who is very clear about why he goes about things and the method behind it.

On not tagging/ playing a solely defensive mid.

Perhaps it’s so that the players/midfield group learn to defend as a team together. And also not wanting to compromise the attacking ability of the team by having someone who isn’t having any impact offensively and thus our scoring ability.

He has his reasons for now and based on his experience you’d back him in. We are only two games outside top4 after all, in a year where no one knew how the team might mesh together.

3 Likes

Parkin’s won four.
Worsfold’s was eleven years ago.
Parkin’s last was eleven years before that.

So you’re saying that the team should have sorted this out themselves there and then?

Has to be something with McKenna, no way he lets a mate go unless he wanted to go. I reackon McKenna might have a better offer than being a midfield line assistant.

Either that or Woosha is far more ruthless than I thought.

1 Like

I think people over estimate the influence a coach has during the play of a game.

4 Likes

I think a coach with some sort of telepathic ability to control the players every move is what is needed, perhaps after season 8 of GoT is finished, someone like the Night King will be available.

7 Likes

If we need anything GOT style it’d be that we could just teleport to the club’s next successful period instantly.

6 Likes

well we are looking at bringing back Solomon so i guess we are trying to go back in time for success

Have to be a Red (and Black) Witch, for mine.

1 Like

Any chance we can stick to the topic? After all, Finals is coming

Sorry Surly.

1 Like

it was a word play joke dingus. ill wink next time

No need, The capital F was a good indicator. Any excuse for a simpsons crossover, man.

Lot of “what ifs” there. If you remember we kicked 3 quick goals at the start of the second quarter (2 in the first 3 mins), all off Joe’s boot - we were up and about. Leuenberger had ran back for the centre bounce but was then called off the ground and sprinted to the interchange bench. Joe had to run from the goal square to the centre bounce. Adelaide kicked the next 5 goals.

There may been lots of reasons for the change but removing our best forward threat seemed strange at that time.

I may have mentioned this in another thread but I was fortunate to be at a seminar in April at which Bomber Thompson was the keynote speaker. I spoke with him afterwards and asked his opinion of Worsfold. He commented that he was a good, strong leader but a shizen matchday coach. Bomber said he liked coaching against him because he was predictable and slow to react.

But my view is he provides leadership both on and off the field which is what we need given the past 4 years. And hopefully after Sunday he has managed us into the finals which is where Essendon belong.

4 Likes

Even though he’s coached forever he’s still pretty young.

Fagan, Hinkley, Richardson are older than him even though they are newish coaches.

He’s the same age as Don Pyke and Clarko

Even Leon Cameron a young coach to connect with the GWS kids is only 4 years younger. Bevos only 2 years younger.

He could be in his prime not an over the hill rocket eade.

5 Likes

Great post. I actually didnt realise that. He just seems 10 years older than them.

I’d love to get a little Swans IP into our club.

McVeigh has the nice cross over with his brother having been an Essendon champ.

I was surprised to be honest when I was looking at it.

He started coaching really young 32 or 33 probably due to the club legend angle. Then had pretty much immediate success, started in 2002 so the GF’s were only a couple of years later.

Seems to be a lot more common to do 10-15 year apprenticeship before a senior gig these days.