John Worsfold

Rocket is dead set bang average.

2 Likes

71-31 was the i50 count.

One of the reasons we’ve struggled to put away weak teams this year is because we’ve struggled to implement an effective forward press. This is unsurprising, given how rarely we’ve won the midfield battle over the 2 years, we haven’t exactly had huge amounts of opportunity to practice it.

On Saturday, particularly in the 2nd half, it was crushingly effective. Even Hartley was getting into position to take intercept marks (of course he dropped most of them).

The side becomes more cohesive by the week, and has done for the best part of 2 years. THAT is what we should be judging a coach on, not whether our fave fringe 22 player gets the nod that week.

4 Likes

I’m all for keeping woosha. At least until his contract ends and maybe a 2 year extension if we can change up the assistants. It seems like we’ve got coaches with good man management but not much tactical nouse. So I wouldn’t mind seeing McKenna and Harvey switched out for someone new with fresh ideas. It may backfire but there is a glaring lack of game day tactical ability. And the players can’t coach themselves when fatigued especially when some of them don’t make the best decisions that often.

2 Likes

Fark, I thought you were talking about Conor for a second. Don’t do that again please

13 Likes

Whoever can come in and teach the midfield to defend the ground is who I want as an assistant.

3 Likes

@smooth, i really rate you as a poster and love reading your stuff…but rodney eade as an assistant or coach of any sort…come on mate you are better than that

2 Likes

Using the Collingwood example needs to considered in the context of the influence of Eddie. We don’t have an Eddie.

I doubt anyone would question the credentials and experience that Luke Hodge brings. The same goes for James Kelly. 7 premierships between them all within the last 10 years.

We have 6 performance coaches and one performance manager. Mark Neeld failed as a coach, McKenna was out of his depth even with a hand-picked team and plenty of money from the AFL, the Corrigans I’m don’t know what they provide at the elite level. Jordan and Harding???

At the end of the day the club appoints the staff. If they are not performing then they come under scrutiny. If they don’t meet expectations they are replaced by a professional selection process and the best candidates are selected. It is the Head Coaches job to manage his support staff and allow them to perform at their best.

As a supporter I question if the tactical expertise, and match day performance of the coaching panel is as high as what is required for 2017 footy and beyond.

Ice Temple, I didn’t suggest “do something, any thing”. I would hope that after the last four years the club does have good HR procedures in place and that they are adhered to.

The quality of the retirees from AFL this year is high. A number, Kelly and Hodge amongst them, have expressed a desire to coach at AFL level. A club would negligent if they didn’t look at these guys. I would contend that big match experience and premiership success would be the number criteria for selection as an AFL Coach or assistant.

Ivan, very sage words indeed. Our defensive running is terrible and undisciplined.

You don’t want to know that we did tag, you only want to know why we didn’t tag who you believe we should have.

From your original post I’m convinced you have little understanding of game day coaching so any further explanation is a waste of both our times.

5 Likes

Now to get rid of Neeld aswell

1. Answer the question

2. “sticks and stones”

Don’t get me wrong I am supportive of Worsfold as Head coach. He is great with the media, and he is a strong leader. He was the right man for the job when he was appointed and he deserves more time. What I question is his, and the coaching panel’s, matchday performance/tactics on many occasions this season.

I expect we will have as many as 5 retirees at season’s end. The challenge then will be to bring in new talent and develop it. Josh Kelly has to be a target. You can’t get knocked back if you don’t ask.

1 Like

I doubt very much that the coach (i.e. Worsfold) makes the call on when every player comes on and off the field.

1 Like

You may be right, he might be past it now. The stuff I’ve heard about Eade is a very good strategist and exceptional on game day, but during the week not so good. Taking away being the front man and just being part of a coaching panel might be a better fit for him. Either way, I think we need to appoint someone along those lines to be a really good, sharp analytical mind to add to our game day intel. The successful clubs have that type of guy. Is it any coincidence that Port dropped off in 2015-16 when Phil Walsh left them, or that the Eagles have struggled since Don Pyke left West Coast to coach the Crows? Both guys were the head of strategy at those clubs, when they left they took that IP with them and it had a massive effect, Port having only just recovered and WCE off the mark since their 2015 GF appearance.

1 Like

Been saying for a long time we need a recently retired player on the coaching panel. The game has evolved rapidly and I’m not sure all of our assistants have fully kept up.

2 Likes

I presume you mean recently retired from a successful club

1 Like

that is the key. You need people from different clubs who have been successful. They all bring different ideas

Very harsh. And considering that in those 3 games we won them convincingly, it raises the question again, why don’t we tag more often?

1 Like

It does indeed raise that question. At last count, that question has been raised, and answered 157 times this year. The problem is that the answer isn’t one that satisfies the questioner so round and round we continue to go.

6 Likes

You may be right Fairybread but one has to recognise the state and trend of the game and react accordingly regardless of planned interchanges. Joe was on fire up forward and the team was lifting accordingly. And Luenberger was more than coping with the touted all-Australian ruckman, Jacobs.

A group of crows supporters in front of us were very glad when Joe moved from the goal square to the centre square.