John Worsfold

All sides noted as having backwards kicking gameplans. All in the bottom 6 on the ladder.

Having noted that I still actually like having close checking rough nuts. Id be happy to add one or two to our list who can rough up but actually still get the footy a bit. I wanted Ambrose to take that role a few years back. I reckon he would have been good at it.

But I dont know ■■■■. I can also imagine Ambrose being too slow and lost in the crazy ping the footy by hand midfield pinball that seems to happen these days. Taggers are an equal chance of being complete liabilities.

The ideal is to have gun mids who can defend and in particular defensively gut run. Hannebury and Jack. Seb Ross. Zerrett is a little in this mould.

This is what I hope we can land in the off season.

I dont think the Brent McAffers of this world are really relevant to modern midfield footy.

1 Like

Thank goodness and thank you for the info!

McVeigh would have been good, but oh well. Thanks Fogdog

Bugger but thanks for the post Fog.

What about Solomon returning?

Reports this morning saying it’s pretty unlikely McKenna is around next year

At first I thought you were talking about Conor. I was just about to Go Ape.

Phew!

1 Like

Looks like I wasted a fair share of my whinging quota on this.

2 Likes

Have you done Solomon yet?

Depends on who they are into, if McVeigh isn’t it.

Nah, I kinda like the Solly idea.

I do like Solly, but his style is a fair bit away from our current game plan.
What we’re lacking at the moment is midfield, and I reckon that is far more personnel than anything else.

I hear Solomon has a lot of wisdom

8 Likes

Ok but you don’t get frustrated on how easily in the middle we turnover the ball with stupid mistakes…that usually cost us a goal. Other teams mentioned don’t turn it over like we do, they’re usually the 1s that wait for the other team to turn it over. Or the opposing team slides a kick across their own backline creating an inside 50 for the opposing team the top side make it count! Takes alot less energy capitalising off a mistake in the opposing teams backline creating a goal than kicking a ball from a free kick in own backline to set up a goal. I think once we have our soon to be retired players go off with dignity, the team can form together better, some of their current mistakes will be part of last years Joey Loves funny list.

Absolutely, they also have a simplistic way of looking at things, they have no idea of the complexity’s of the game plan and the role on effects that tagging etc would make.

Do you think Sloane understands the “role on effects” of tagging?

Going off on a tangent - I think the worth of a good senior coach can be seen during trade week.

(You know, during the season, how every player will say how much they love the coach, and what a great job he is doing, but they can drop that facade come trade week)

If Woosha has established a good environment, then current players will be willing to stay for slightly less $$, and we might attract new players. I will be looking for some signs of a restored ‘Woosha/Essendon appeal factor’ during trade week.

3 Likes

I’ve been pretty vocal regarding my lack of enthusiasm for Worsfolds coaching.

However I’m set to retract that in the event we do make finals. For me, that was the goal. This squad is good enough, in my opinion, to play finals. The senior players deserved that opportunity.

So if we do get there, all the things that had me concerned throughout the year seem to be much less significant.

1 Like

Exactly and why I find it amusing when people judge coaches.

1 Like

Get Caracella in from the tigers, Is the reason for their big rise along with Leppitsch IMO.

3 Likes

Has my seal of approval