John Worsfold

Which article is this? The one in the where are we going next thread?

Looks like Geelong had a good look at Sydney and how to beat them. Went in with a game-plan and executed it to perfection. We had 2 weeks to prepare for the Swans, went in with a ■■■■ game-plan and got smashed. Woosh and his underlings need to accept responsibility for that. Do we have the cattle? Maybe not quite. But we sure as ■■■■ should’ve been more competitive than we were.

14 Likes

Just googled it, read it, and agreed with every word.

Our plan was “Lets out run them” and that’s it.

A ■■■■ house game plan that a coach from the bush league could probably stop.

I know thus sounds crazy , but that loss will propably be tge catalyst for change.

We went with the game plan we have been playing all year (without the deep marking target of Hooker), the same plan that should have beaten them their earlier in the year. As the list gets more time together under Worsfold then Im sure you’ll be able to see us execute variations to the plan which is what we saw last night from Geelong.

4 Likes

The Swans “autopsy” thread on Big Footy from last night reads a lot like Blitz over the last week or so. One dimensional game plans, lack of effort, players gone missing…

I know Sydney belted us and I’m not in any way going to ignore the pathetic second quarter effort.

BUT if we played them at the MCG I think it would have been a closer game. Our game style would have benefitted from the bigger ground and Sydney would have found it harder to shut down our outside pace.

I recently heard Malthouse speaking about leaders and Woosha was one of two people that he nominated as the most outstanding at implementing standards in his time in football. I believe that it will come together and I’m looking forward to seeing it.

4 Likes

I want to believe that

The club simply needs to freshen up the assistant coaching ranks - we need guys with more tactical nous and the introduction of a recently retired player would help but we need more than that.

James Kelly may well come on board but more change is needed - neeld as strategy coach simply isn’t the answer.

Harding who we acquired from Adelaide came with wraps - is his voice heard enough?

3 Likes

He’s factually not right. In fact he’s the exact opposite of right. Taken straight from the Abbott/Hanson playbook. Identify a group of disgruntleds, lock onto a key word and blow that dog whistle loud and strong.

The whole 15 years of accepting mediocrity thing is just a convenient stat for the overly emotional to draw on to try not to appear overly emotional.

Pretty much the only thing this club has in common with the club from 10 years ago hell even five years ago, is the colours.

The board’s new, the CEO’s new, the head of the footy department is new, the coach is new, the head of performance is new, most of the footy department staff are new, and in the past 3 years we’ve turned over 26 of a possible 45 players who were on our list at the end of 2014 - with that number set to grow by this offseason.

Guess what, that’s a rebuild, that’s a new club. If people are too stupid or emotional to notice that’s certainly not the club’s fault. This is not the club it has been for the past 13 years, as much as some may want us to believe otherwise.

You could argue that the saga happened because we refused to accept mediocrity. But that’s a whole other story.

16 Likes

Terrific article. And for all the apologists about yo fl a me away, despite all the rec e nt changes in personel on and off the field, the fact that the CEO hand to back down from his vomments after the Brissy game tells me that little has changed. I do add the caviet that non coach comments about team performance needs to be used carefully, however that principle aside, the response to the comments in question tells me, little has changed recently.

But apparently there is a disease that is passed down through the lists and staff over generations that infects all that come in contact with it and makes me sad.

Vomments?
I do believe you’ve just coined a spectacular new word!

10 Likes

photo 7e3.jpg

Maybe Morgan at a stretch. Poor bunch unfortuanately

That’s a new club? Is It, with the same ingrained culture I guess.

Have a look at the “new coaches” we hired. All failed coaches elsewhere. No trying to poach from a successful club, just get other people’s junk.
IN 2015 when we were goalless at HT X put out a tweet saying we will be ruthless this year. What happened? Sacked Hird, wow big cull.

And then on the other side of that, he puts out a tweet after the Brisbane debacle and then the leadership group get upset about it. Us losing to rubbish teams or losing games where we are clear favorites has been with us for a decade and for the players to get upset because a senior official said something that most of us thought was well measured and well delivered reeks of accepting mediocrity.

4 Likes

Funny though that when things are going well, the Essendon culture is passed down to the next generation.

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

So…you’re saying that it’s all a matter of perception?
hmmmmm