John Worsfold

Comments regarding our treatment of Xavier are a bit silly.

I would be quite surprised if there was anyone even remotely thinking that he isn’t up to the job and/or want him replaced. He has been exceptional in my view.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has suggested that.

He has been incredible

2 Likes

You know what I want?

All these guys that are meant to be of great character off field, to be of great character on it.

I don;t give a fark if a guy can’t spell count or speak properly.

Just have great character and skill on the field, and if you have to be guided completely by the coaches-well good.

Sorry, but I think the last 17 years have just farking sunk in.

It’s been ■■■■■ house.

3 Likes

Ironically you use an example of the one time pretty much to a tee all supporters were in favour of what campbell said originally, and moreso have taken a shot at the players being precious. The only thing they didnt like was he apologised.

And i donno logic eould dictatr that in that situation the main and only reason he would need to apologise , is if the playing group took offense, otherwise there would be no need for an apology, unless you think he is apologising for pr reasons, which im prwtty sure the media didnt hassle him about it at the time.

Exactly. If they cant handle the tweet that he put out they shouldnt be at the club. No wonder we have been rubbish on field when you have a bunch of ■■■■■■■ in the leadership group

They are getting paid a lot of money are given everything possible for them to succeed, if they cant deal with the criticism that comes their way- get rid of them and find guys who will get it done

4 Likes

I heard a very high profile NRL ex player explain it this way…

When teams lose the coach does everything but blame the players because they are too precious,as it may upset them. He said the way they address everything is from a you can do better softly softly approach…

He gave this example…

When someone drops the ball why do they put there hand up and apologise…of course everyone knows you made an error just get back into the line and get on with it!

Listening to the review im still not 100% sold on worsfold!

1 Like

The public message from the club is that some of the failures rest with the players. On the other hand, no public message from the players that the coaches might bear some responsibility.

Was he a successful ex player though ?

I know people around here love the xool and calm approach cos the assume it equates to being in control.

But you look at the most successful coaches across all sports , and prodominately they are all emotional angry ■■■■■ who hate losing.

Fear is one of the best motivators ever , and yet coaches dont wanna use it ,cos it might hurt some poor players lil feelings.

Players from mediocre clubs dont fear anything anymore. They turn up, they play badly and alot can still make a good living for long enough to set them up for life, if smart.

And then people wonder why we got smashed in yet another final. Cos they dont know how to handle pressure or adversity. They get a pat on the back after the game, get a well done , collect thwir pay check and told , sont worry son we will get em next year.

Anyone who qas offended by xavs words ahould have been marxhed the ■■■■ out the feont door , deagged to the feont gate and told to fuxk off and never come back.

5 Likes

Jesus, did he elaborate?

More details / context?

I would have thought something like that would get a bit more coverage and sounds quite bizarre.

1 Like

I’d get a whack by my boss if I did a ■■■■ job.

2 Likes

So either woosha didn’t send the right messages or the players ignored him… either way it reflects very poorly on his coaching. He is a bust, only question is how long we wait till making the change. GameDay tactician at an absolutely minimum next season.

The more ‘review insight’ we get, the worse it sounds.

2 Likes

Or he sent a message that the players tried to implement but couldn’t due to what the Swans were doing?

It didnt stop Bomber raising his voice at them at the training sessions i saw, lol. Pig in particular used to cop some fair old swear laden bollockings.

Man on man with 2 extra behind the ball was the required play, with ball control off HB. At no point in the 2nd did we do anything remotely close to that. We played zone for the whole qtr… so either he didn’t send the message or the team ignored it. Sydney can’t stop us playing man on man tactics!! I mean seriously?!! No change was made because he is a ■■■■ game day coach.

4 Likes

If you have two extras behind the ball then you’re not playing man on man. You’ll be leaving two opposition players unattended and you’ll have two players zoning or manning space.

That’s not to say that doing that wouldn’t have been a better option than putting one extra behind the ball and otherwise sticking with our system, which is what we did do.

But there are problems with playing man on man. One being that if you can’t get your hands on the ball the opposition can dictate where your players run as they will follow their opponent who can drag them to parts of the ground to exploit them and the team. This can affect the side’s ability to attack when it gets the ball as no one is in the positions they are expected to be or the team has practiced them being in. Secondly, man on man tends to work better when your players are beating their direct opponents. If you have few players winning their position it’s unlikely to be successful.

Of course, we’ll never know if it would have been a better option in that 2nd quarter as we didn’t try it. However, it could hardly have gone worse and might have been worth a shot.

2 Likes

Fair enough, agree with you on the weaknesses of man-man. I guess there is only so many times you watch us trail in 5m behind before you find yourself screaming for someone, anyone to play ‘back shoulder’

2 Likes

The Raging Bull

Gordon Tallis…

Scotty Lucas mentioned on the podcast put out by the club that BJ went back as an extra behind the ball.

There was debate that he might have been better served as an extra man around the clearances instead.

Until I heard the pod, I didn’t know that move happened as I was watching on TV. Assuming you didn’t know either, given your rant?