John Worsfold

Its funny but I seem to remember that Hird copped plenty of criticism on here for poor game day coaching.

I also seem to remember him having this stunned mullet look on his face a fair amount on the time.
hird

4 Likes

I think everyone expects all of our coaches to be like Sheedy in the 84 grand final, except every week.
The game is different now and I reckon the moves they make to try and shift momentum are more subtle or they are tactical rather than positional.
Didn’t @benfti allude to this after he sat near a reserves coach or something at the Gold Coast game?

4 Likes

Yes. From memory most of the criticism was how late Hird was at making the moves at times, and that the ship had sailed by the time he did; not disimilar to most of the views on Woosh.

I’d rather the coach didn’t make a move at all than do it with 3-4 minutes to go because that is just a farken kick to the teeth

1 Like

… to the Waiting Room.

4 Likes

My only wish is for Ambrose to line up on Kennedy when we play the Swans. I don’t give a rat’s ■■■ about out backline matchups, I just want to see him actually work for his possessions.

2 Likes

Fixed.

2 Likes

Brad Hill?

1 Like

In 2015, yeah. (And nice of you to get a screen grab from his last game as coach… Of course he looked like a stunned mullet that day)

2013 though, his game day coaching was as good as we’ve had since vintage Sheedy. He didn’t just switch Hurley / Carlisle every few games, he made changes to match ups as soon as they were a problem. He’d put a defensive forward on a half back that was carving us up, and he’d do it before the quarter ended. He made the required moves, and he made them at the perfect times. Gosh he could read the flow of a game.

Game day coaching is only one part of a coaches job though, and probably a less important part than it used to be. (So much more work is done pre-game now.) It’s not Woosha’s strength, it certainly wasn’t Bomba’s strength either, but it was Hird’s.

How much that matters is an open debate I guess, but despite the way teams now defend / zone / rotate, there is still room in the modern game for moving a guy off an opponent who is destroying him, and doing it before the game is lost.

8 Likes

So what you’re saying is that bomber should have been the head coach and hirdy in charge of game day tactics?

1 Like

pffft…what would they know.

2 Likes

Hird was widely criticised ad nauseum on this forum for not making enough changes through the game.

The Hurley/ Carlisle switch was basically the only drastic change he would make during a game.

I mostly agree here it was his one go to move but was very effective. I always got annoyed under the hird coaching regime that we always had that +1 at the contest. We use to kick it forward and have it picked off by the oppositions +1 in defence and over time it became harder and harder for us to score.

1 Like

That was a Bomber Thompson thing. He loved +1 at the contest.

1 Like

That set up would probably work well with our team now.

Bomber should’ve been in charge of catering instead of recruitment.

At the cats he could do it because they were overloaded with talent and could work through congestion by hand and sheer brute force using their spare well. We would just hoof it and bypass our own spare in favour of our opponent’s.

The only game I remember our plus one at the contest being effective was in the fark carlton ‘monstering’ game.

2 Likes

He is not going anywhere. Wife is completing a work project for 3-6 months in Perth and she is the one commuting. Both daughters currently working in Melbourne. Relax everyone

23 Likes

Was about to fully invest panic BLITZCOIN in this matter. Now, I will have to find something else to panic about.

1 Like

People have a tendency to pick and choose when a coach is responsible for team success, good or bad. It is why, at the end of the day if a club is performing poorly then a coach gets sacked, even though there are a multitude of factors that affect a team’s performance. By this logic Worsfold deserves far more credit than he gets, he has been at the forefront of this clubs’ rapid turnaround in just 2 seasons since the player bans. I agree that this season is massive in showing if he can lead us further up the ladder, but to this point he has exceeded all expectations thus far.

6 Likes

Imagine if this was a legit crypto currency that could only be bought and sold on match day and team selection.

3 Likes