John Worsfold

ESSENDON coach John Worsfold is confident there is an easy way to address the confusion his team encountered on Saturday after their game plan came unstuck against the reigning premiers.

The Bombers were thumped at Wangaratta’s Norm Minns Oval, failing to handle Richmond’s defensive pressure on their way to an 87-point loss that raises questions about their progress 27 days out from a round one clash against Adelaide.

Worsfold said the problem was two-fold, with the players over-correcting with new aspects of the game plan, and then a lack of pressure at the contest when the ball spilled free.

Full match coverage and stats

“There’s a lot of areas where we’ve been trying to implement some new things, and I could just see some confusion amongst the players, and probably just over-correcting some areas of play,” the coach said.

"The good part about that is that’s a fairly easy thing to address with them.

JLT Community Series: When’s your team playing?

"We know [the game plan] is new and it’s not going to be perfect straight up … and we’re trialling it against a team that’s up and going.

“But the good part of that is we get the opportunity to learn why things weren’t going the way we would like them to go.”

Worsfold said the loss would make his players think they have work to do before round one, but a stronger line-up in the next pre-season game against Geelong would help their preparation.

Of the three new recruits, Devon Smith (26 possessions) and Adam Saad, who kicked a brilliant 60m goal, pleased the coach, while Jake Stringer struggled after a head knock and had six possessions.

“I thought he started OK but just didn’t get much of a chance after that,” Worsfold said of Stringer.

"He was OK initially, but he was pretty crook and vague afterwards, so they thought let’s get him out of the game just for precautionary reasons.

“Smith and Saad I was pretty pleased with the way they went about it.”

CONFUSED. Obviously he and Neeld have no idea how to communicate. Dumb and dumber. The player’s were getting more confused as the game went on. Holy ■■■■.

1 Like

Hawks had the Clarko cluster = Flags
Eagles have the Eagles web = GF
Dogs used pressure and quick handballs around stoppages = Flag
Tigers play with manaic pressure = Flag

Where is our system?

All those teams had how many years building their squad and fine tuning game plan towards where they got to?

Tigers made and lost finals two years in a row then missed them altogether IIRC before finally winning a GF. The squad was continually being improved as required. They brought in Prestia, Caddy & Nank… had Rioli 2nd year and Castagna/Butler first year as pressure players.

1 Like

For dima it was a clearout of the support staff.

2 Likes

Tigers changed the way they played in 1 friggin pre season. Hardwick reliased that attacking footy dosen’t win finals and flags applying manaic pressure and defense is what wins flag they trained that all summer and win a flag the following year.

It can happen if you have the right players and systems in place

2 Likes

Personally have very little idea how Neeld remains - this has been my view for some time.

4 Likes

He had the same 4-5 stars for 7 years, for 0 finals wins. Then a support staff clearout. Then it clicked.
They played 3 ■■■■■■ good games at the right end of the year. But they’d had the bulk of that squad together for a looong while.

1 Like

Personally I also don’t see the need to rush to re-sign Woosha at the point. He will not be poached and still has this season to run.

Let things unfold.

8 Likes

Yeah but it had been building towards it for years.

Their team was always terrible at tackling & pressure so they made it a focus and had the list changes accordingly. They still already had the basis of a very good squad there.

It’s nuts how many people are losing plot over one practice match in which we had effectively 12 best 22 players missing, some of team been very effected by illness mid week and the whole squad flogged on track leading up to the game.

2 Likes

We have been building for years too.

Imo all the pieces are there just need to play to a system that works.

1 Like

I don’t think that really refutes my statement.

I just kinda don’t rate a lot of our assistant coaches. My distaste of skipworth is pretty documented here. I think harvey is beyond it, neeld, seems broken as a coach.

It doesn’t, but they’re in a very different list position to us.

I should probably actually state a point. I think it highlights how important assistant coaches actually are.

1 Like

More or less important than shafting all their slow outside/fringe players who kept getting exposed for pace for quick ones who started exposing other sides? I reckon less.

But without being there we’re all just throwing darts re: coaches and assistants.

1 Like

Woosha already cleared out 1 non performing line coach, in a home and away season we finished 7th . He promoted a line coach who turned a basket case forward line into one of the best in the AFL. Harves stayed, because he could not be blamed for the mids failure last year. The list is tale nted and young. Some are calling for a coach cleanout . Wtf.

2 Likes

There was no structure to the forward line other than kick it over the top and let joe/raz/walla run onto it on the slingshot or on top of hookers head. stellar strategy…

So the player’s are taking a mini break. How the hell are they supposed to get “unconfused” about the game plan? Woosha probably wants to go visit his family in W.A?

The kickouts is what I don’t get.

We always kick to a contest in the pocket which makes it pridictable for the oposistion to defend If we don’t win the contest/stoppage the oposistion gets an inside 50.

Didn’t we also have the most efficient forward line in the league after years of struggling to score? Tactics don’t have to look complicated to be effective.

3 Likes