John Worsfold

100% infuriating.

Also, whenever there was a pressure situation in the backline, the amount of times we’d ■■■■ ourselves and give the opposition an easy goal

1 Like

Love our forward line when it clicks we can score really quickly it’s just defense/contest work that needs fixing.

2 Likes

The Essington excuses = finals week 1 exit

1 Like

Was he smiling as he said all this I wonder?

That you think our forward line is one of the best in the AFL says more about the players than the coaching.
They appear to have very little movement nor system and as someone else said it seems to be kick it to someones head and hope they mark it.
The list might be talented and I do think there is some talent there but we certainly dont seem to be getting the best out of them. Any of them.
Langford and Francis cases in point. Long hasnt come on.
These are all (Long Included) talented kids. There are half a dozen coaches around that you think would have been able to get a better result with those kids than what we have.

But we seem to accept mediocrity. From the players, and from the coaches.

Most of our coaching panel are failed senior coaches. That says something in itself.

2 Likes

Have to poach Caracella as an assistant success seems to follow everywhere he goes,

1 Like

The pitch could start with… “We have a head coach position available soon. If you want it, it’s yours.”

2 Likes

We can do a succesion plan Worsfold to sign for 2 more with Caracella taking over

Caracella has been an assistant for close to a decade now.
He deserves a bit more than a ‘succession plan’ arrangement.

If we want him, he deserves the head coach position from the start.

1 Like

Forward line functioning well due to personnel change

Midfield in a state of transition due to personnel changes…

We didn’t have our first choice midfield (who also I might add themselves haven’t had any games all playing together to build cohesion) as such backline was under pump and forward line didn’t get enough opportunity nor quality of entry

Amount of over reaction going on laughable

2 Likes

Fair point.

I’ll attempt to describe an example of player confusion / over correcting that occurred on multiple occasions and frustrated the heck out of me on Saturday.

Loose ball is rolling Richmond’s way, with a pack of mids chasing it.
Our backman has done the right thing, is ahead of his man and looks likely to be first to the ball, albeit with his opponent hot on his hammer.
What happens -
BOTH our mids stream past the actual contest and assume defensive positions behind the contest.
So our back, if he takes clean possession is confronted by two Richmond mids in his face, and no one to give the ball to, and under pressure from behind.
If he even just stops the ball going forward he has no options. - he’s in a three on one contest for a ground ball.

What should have happened, and what Richmond’s system let them do repeatedly, was for only one mid at most to run defensively, the other ( if not both) to spread wider and level with the back.
This gives him options to handball / knock the ball sideways ro a teammate in more space, and set up a counter attack / possession chain under less .pressure.

We’ve been drilled supposedly in greater defensive efforts.
The problem & confusion is when no ones sure who is in the best spot to do it so they all do it, and no ones at the contest or providing options.

4 Likes

delist

But this is not what happens at training. How we train needs to transfer to how we play. That will come together.

Things do not always work as planned/designed. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the plan/design is flawed. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. Sometimes it’s a combination. People close to the coal face should be able to recognise which it is.

Maybe our plan is confusion.

We play snakes and ladders again. We get the number draft pick this year and who knows who else goes? Joke!!!

But it doesn’t, that’s the problem.
We train one way and play like we did on the weekend.
And if we can’t translate training to playing, which we seem unable to do on a regular basis, then it’s either lack of cattle, or a coaching problem.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with most of our players. However I think there is a real problem with their development.

There are quite a few that just dont seem to be improving.

That’s just my opinion.

4 Likes

For the first time in about 15 years we had multiple methods of scoring working more often than not - lead ups (Stewart, Lang, Joe); over the backs (Raz, Tippa, Green, Joe); contested mark (Hooker, Joe); and long bombs (Joe and others).

Childish to write it off as a fluke, and hard not to conclude it’s purely because you don’t like the line coach.

11 Likes

Woosha seen in W.A. apparently visiting his family.

Oh no!

4 Likes

Thought he got paid the big bucks to coach a team that are confused about the game plan he created not going on a holiday.