Kefir Milk

The soury goodness is an acquired taste. Any tips/recipes on how I can get the probiotic goodness with bordering on spewing up?

without spewing up.

Damn. That sounded like a great name for our next top-up player.

Racist

Yoghurt, sauerkraut, other fermented veg.

Whether or not it’s a “superfood” is debatable but more veg certainly isn’t going to harm.

Thank you.

The studies on the importance of gut bacteria to overall well being is interesting.

Oasis bakery in Bentleigh sells a few good flavored kefir milks (may be a yoghurt this one). I think one is coconut and is not as harsh as your run of the mill ones.

this doesn’t help because you live in another country.

Bentleigh sounds nice.

Great stuff. The consumption of any probiotic foods is a good thing and your body will thank you for it.

We used to keep ours in a mason jar going and feed it raw milk from the dairy. Grew like crazy and we couldn’t keep up with consuming all the kefir so used to give it away to friends. Eventually I broke it up and gave it away in pieces as we were about to travel and I haven’t started one back up in the year since we returned.

Getting used to the taste of your kefir can certainly take some time. It does depend on your palate. It can range from unflavoured yogurt to something akin to a fizzy slightly alcoholic sour milk. The longer you leave it the more sour and fizzy it will be, but byjingos it will be teaming with good bacteria. It is worth tasting each day and then picking what stage you prefer it at and then draining the kefir away from the SCOBY. Put the kefir into a jar and seal it and keep it in the fridge. It will slow down the fermentation process and it is also a bit nicer to drink cold. Just keep adding to this jar in the fridge as you make it. Give it a shake before you drink it as it does settle in the jar. Don’t wash the SCOBY, just keep it in a jar until you have washed and cleaned the jar. Then put is back in the jar and refill it with milk.

To use it you can just drink it straight, which is how I like it. Or you an add some fruit and blend it up to make like a small smoothy to sweeten it. Add it to another smoothy, put it in with your museli or oats. Use something else to mask the flavour if it is too strong.

Thought this was about bevvies for the infidel

Thank you.

The studies on the importance of gut bacteria to overall well being is interesting.

Yeah, gut bacteria is the new “fad” but at least there’s some research behind it. But it’s all so new to recommend it straight out for everyone.
Great stuff. The consumption of any probiotic foods is a good thing and your body will thank you for it.

We used to keep ours in a mason jar going and feed it raw milk from the dairy. Grew like crazy and we couldn’t keep up with consuming all the kefir so used to give it away to friends. Eventually I broke it up and gave it away in pieces as we were about to travel and I haven’t started one back up in the year since we returned.

Getting used to the taste of your kefir can certainly take some time. It does depend on your palate. It can range from unflavoured yogurt to something akin to a fizzy slightly alcoholic sour milk. The longer you leave it the more sour and fizzy it will be, but byjingos it will be teaming with good bacteria. It is worth tasting each day and then picking what stage you prefer it at and then draining the kefir away from the SCOBY. Put the kefir into a jar and seal it and keep it in the fridge. It will slow down the fermentation process and it is also a bit nicer to drink cold. Just keep adding to this jar in the fridge as you make it. Give it a shake before you drink it as it does settle in the jar. Don’t wash the SCOBY, just keep it in a jar until you have washed and cleaned the jar. Then put is back in the jar and refill it with milk.

To use it you can just drink it straight, which is how I like it. Or you an add some fruit and blend it up to make like a small smoothy to sweeten it. Add it to another smoothy, put it in with your museli or oats. Use something else to mask the flavour if it is too strong.

The one I have is a little different from making kefir juice from scratch with grains.

You add a small amount of bacteria to 1ltr of milk (or water, juice atc) warmed to 30c, mix and let it fester for 12-24 hours then there you have it. Put in fridge and consume within 10 days. Makes around 100ltrs.

Haha. Ferment, not fester.
Yeah, that is very different to the way I have done it and normally seen it done.
Is this a product you bought from a shop? Is it in liquid or powder form? Do you know what bacteria/yeasts are in it?

Check out this page. Aussie page with a ton of info.
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Yes, store bought. It’s called ‘Maintenance Free Kefir Culture’ by an outfit called Green Living Australia. They supply the kefir culture of which you sprinkle a little into your milk or other liquid and after a few hours in the pantry, bingo. It is said to contain:

Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis
Lactococcus lactis ssp. cremoris
Lactococcus lactis spp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
Lactobacilluys brevis
Leuconostoc spp.
and the yeast
Saccharomyces cerevisiae

You keep the kefir culture in the freezer until required. So far so good.

I have goat kefir milk, love it.

You make it yourself or buy it?

Buy it

I was tipping you’d have your own goat.

I was tipping you'd have your own goat.

Judging by the mad monk avatar I thought that perhaps he danced around them chanting verses from the necronomicon.

Spoiler - can make your kefir go off! :wink:

Yes, store bought. It's called 'Maintenance Free Kefir Culture' by an outfit called Green Living Australia. They supply the kefir culture of which you sprinkle a little into your milk or other liquid and after a few hours in the pantry, bingo. It is said to contain:

Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis
Lactococcus lactis ssp. cremoris
Lactococcus lactis spp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
Lactobacilluys brevis
Leuconostoc spp.
and the yeast
Saccharomyces cerevisiae

You keep the kefir culture in the freezer until required. So far so good.

wow, that is a lot simpler than keeping a live SCOBY on the go.

Might get some and try it to see what it is like. I don’t have the time or patience to keep a SCOBY on the go so this may be a good alternative.

That site has some interesting stuff. I think it may be where MrsWP got her Cheese starter kits from. We made some fantastic Halumi with the raw milk from the dairy. Yummy!