**KEVIN SHEEDY’S BEST BOMBERS TEAM OF PLAYERS HE COACHED **
1981 - 2007

B: Gavin Wanganeen, Dustin Fletcher, Paul Weston
HB: Bill Duckworth, Neale Daniher, Mark Thompson
C: Michael Long, Leon Baker, Merv Neagle
HF: Terry Daniher, Roger Merrett, Tim Watson
F: Paul Salmon, Matthew Lloyd, Mark Harvey
FOLL: Simon Madden, James Hird, Darren Williams
Inter: Scott Lucas, Mark Mercuri, Gary O’Donnell, Glen Hawker, Jason Johnson, Paul Vander Haar

A couple of surprises, but it’s hard to argue against many of the inclusions though. For me the most unlucky person is Darren Bewick. It is also evident that no one since 2007 other than Jobe would go close to getting a spot in this team.

12 Likes

Yeah no Bewick?

Dean Rioli?(not the longest career but deanos best footy was pretty special).

Jobe Watson went on to win a brownlow?

2 Likes

I think Sheeds can leave Jobe out given he didn’t play much good footy until after 2007.

Rioli probably didn’t have the tenure.

Smoking Joe stiff. His longevity and 2 flags is probably a better career with lesser highs than JJ who was an All Australian and a 2 time BnF winner.

5 Likes

Jobe didn’t reach top drawer until post Sheedy

1 Like

Best team of 1981-2007 but instructive that it has no-one who debuted after 1995.

1 Like

JJ debuted in 1997

4 Likes

Sheeds still overlooks Derek Kickett.

12 Likes

Alan Ezard probably could have made it on the bench but otherwise it’s pretty fair I reckon.

1 Like

I knew I would miss one ;-( I need to wear glasses when posting at night…
It’s still instructive that only one player good enough to make that side was recruited in the last 12 seasons of Sheedy’s reign, and for the first however many of Dodoro’s time as recruiter.

Would there be any non father-son players since 2007 that would get selected into a “best of the last 42 years” side?

3 Likes

Geez the last 20 years hasnt been kind, not one player would be worth team of the Century.

Mark Bolton stiff.

5 Likes

We need a “other” best 22 under Sheedy with Bolton, Henneman, Cransberg etc

9 Likes

I was legit surprised he left Walshy out.

3 Likes

I would argue that Smokin Joe Misiti could replace Daisy, JJ or even GO’D and Sean Wellman would have to consider himself stiff. Would probably replace Weston with Wellman and move Bomber to the BP.

2 Likes

Marc Bullen, James Davies, Ken Hall etc

Daniel McAlister

2 Likes

I have this weird memory of us nearly trialling an Ethiopian player one time but it never eventuated.

Lost at selection

hmm i wonder why

1 Like

Think it was one of Sheedy’s ideas to develop African talent. At one stage EFC had a quasi aid arrangement with somewhere in Southern Africa

1 Like