Kevin Sheedy’s Greatest ever Essendon side he coached

Yeah I can remember reading it in the herald sun at the time. Was there also something to do with Japan? Maybe through Yakult? With Sheedy, not the Melksham and Zaharakis trip.

Don’t remember the Japan one, but after Australia started taking refugees from the Sudan and Somalia, I think the direct links with Africa stalled.

I’m interested to know what you consider “surprises”?

I’m a big fan of Paul Weston, but if I was to make a change, it would be Harvey to his position in the backline, and Bewick to the forward pocket.

I guess while cases can be made for a number of players going in, it’s pretty tough making cases to remove any of those named.

5 Likes

Who would any of them displace? He’s already gone the cop out with 6 on the bench!

2 Likes

You leave Goaner Tutlan out of this… And Dwayne Armstrong as well…and even Daniel McAlliater…oh…

3 Likes

Misiti maybe over Johnson, but if you draw a line at 4 on the bench then I doubt that spot’s there.

No one replaces Daisy.

Weston vs Wellman is a reasonable argument.

3 Likes

Then replace Gary O’Donell with Misiti. O’Donell and Bomber very similar Players in a lot of respects, no-one in that side like Joe.

1 Like

Misiti deserved a guernsey that’s for sure. Still remember his goal from the half forward flank in the ’93 GF.

1 Like

Ty Zantuk very unlucky

5 Likes

Dwayne Armstrong would make the Cat B list.

Surely Ricky dyson makes the wing ahead of long and neagle.

But do you have him ahead of Paul Hills? What about ahead of Kepler Bradley?

No Lalich.

Club can go ■■■■ itself.

2 Likes

Question for those old enough to remember players from the 80s: were Paul Weston and Bill Duckworth better players than Sean Wellman? Because Wellman was damn good.

And no Darren Bewick? Hmm.

Yes, Paul Weston was the best full back not only in the comp but in the best team of that decade, winning back-to-back flags. He left in 1986, and that combined with injuries saw the decline of that champion team of champions.
We all love Fletch, but Weston was probably the better full back.

4 Likes

Duckworth was also an enforcer, giving protection to the playmakers, as Hird acknowledged re Wallis up the other end.
As did Roger
IDK whether Weston played that role as well as being more skilful.

1 Like

And both could play as forwards very effectively, Billy famously winning the Norm Smith doing so. I can’t recall Wellman ever doing that.

3 Likes

That’s another common factor in Sheedy’s selected players.
Almost all of them, except for Lloyd, could, and did, play multiple positions.
Which is no surprise in a Sheedy selection.
May also partly explain why Bewick was omitted- assuming Sheeds had some sort of coherent selection criteria going on.

2 Likes

I might be wrong about this, but didn’t Bewick come second in the b&f in 1991 playing primarily as a rover?

1 Like