Kevin Sheedy’s Greatest ever Essendon side he coached

Hawker and jj are the only ones you can take out to fit bewick.

1 Like

Dunno- I’d left the country after the GF loss in 1990. Missed the 91 season.

Backfired when Salmon went to Hawthorn.

They were different players. Weston the traditional full back. Duckworth the backline enforcer.

Different players in a different time, it’s really hard to compare. A lot depends on how you rate the 00 team vs the 85 team. It’s almost inconceivable to those too young to have seen the 85 side, but you could argue that it was even better than the 00 side.

3 Likes

Well they at least did for a half once :slight_smile:

That’s my thinking as well.

imagine what a joy it would be to watch that side play

3 Likes

Think the team needs more Solly and Dimma!:wink:

2 Likes

He would be nowhere near a best ever side.

The big omission for me is Scott Lucas.

Scotty is first named on the interchange bench @Shelton10

1 Like

Oh. Um. My bad, as they say.

My goodness that is a very good side And a bunch of names that didn’t make it that would make a very good side as others have noted.

2 Likes

I think he should name a team of Sheedy favourites. Minimum 10 games. Blokes like Kevin Walsh, Dean Wallis and Shane Heard would be the leaders.

1 Like

Geez Boris is definitely stiff as is Jobe! Maybe an extended bench…! Loved both JJ and MJ but I would have Boris ahead of JJ. I dont think we’ve EVER had a better small forward since Boris. The game against Geelong with the old jumpers and smoke still lingering around the G after the pre game was unreal - coming back after a knee reco IIRC as well. What a talent - could not miss!

7 Likes

Darren Bewick and Garry Foulds are my unlucky ones.
Jobe’s best was post-Sheedy for mine, so I have no issue with that.

Edit: Joe Misiti stiff too!

3 Likes

I loved reading that team in the herald scum this morning when I got my coffee this morning. My only change would be Harvey out and Bewick in. That side needs a crumbing forward and Bewick is the best Essendon has had in my life time.

1 Like

We could pick a seconds lineup with the ones he left out that wouldn’t be half bad either.

Drop the last two names off the interchange and go from there.

Would still be a gun line up

Ty Zantuck & Richie Cole pretty stiff to miss out

Misiti has to be in that team. Mecuri has to be in the starting 18 too. Bewick an obvious omission as well.

Slightly before my time but were daisy williams, merv neagle and duckworth good enough to get in that team?

I know merv was runner up in the brownlow and dilly got a norm smith. I just didnt see enough of them.

One thing an excercise like this shows you is how ■■■■ we have been since 2007 onwards.

4 Likes

Doing the interchange as per the traditional four man (no cop outs):
I’d go: Scott Lucas, Mark Mercuri, Paul Vander Haar, Darren Bewick

edit: as per post below I’d change Vander Haar for Misiti

2 Likes