Kevin Sheedy’s Greatest ever Essendon side he coached

^Interesting bench, choosing two centre half forwards and two “small forwards”. (Yes they all could play in other positions but those were where they were most often named).

Lucas won a Crichton from CHB

They were all pretty damn good…and remember, this is Sheedy’s team…not anyone else’s so he would have his reasons for picking each and every player…and would be able to explain in detail why others missed out.

3 Likes

i was reflecting on my post and came to edit it, as i wanted Misiti in.

As special as Vander Haar was, I think there’s enough marking power in that side and i’d swap him out for Misiti.

It gets tough with those you have to leave out.

Bewick 52 goals 1993, Harvey 48 in 1985. Both high quality forwards at their best. Understand the desire for a genuine small forward, but Harvey needs to be in the team somewhere.

Yes they were

5 Likes

Yep easily.

That 85 side had about 6 Centre Half forwards. After Salmon at FF there was Merrett at CHF, and both Terry Daniher and VanderHaar would have been CHFs in other sides And Harvey would be CHF in our current side. I know TD could and would go back at times, but you already had Weston, Walsh and Duckworth in defence.

One thing that the best Sheedy side had (and which we seem to have forgotten) is size.

2 Likes

And options

1 Like

And versatility…
And outstanding talent…
And instilling fear in the opposition…

Amongst the things that side had are such elements as fear, surprise, …

2 Likes

Wheras today’s side is most likely to poke the opposition with the SOFT CUSHIONS!

1 Like

Though you have to admit that side would never play together again these days after a theoretical Round 1.
The number of suspensions each week would mean we would be naming Sheedy’s third best 18 by about Round 5.

6 Likes

Harvey, Neagle and Hawker are absolute locks, for mine.
Watson doesn’t get close when you’re talking about players in the period Sheedy coached.
Bewick is stiff.

In fact, the easiest fix for mine is to move Harvey back, drop either Duckworth or Weston, and put Bewick in the forward pocket.

4 Likes

Should have named Kickett for the lulz.

2 Likes

I assume you mean Jobe not Tim?

3 Likes

I was surprised Lucas was on the bench but heard him on SEN last night saying he didn’t know what he’d done wrong in the last few years. He said Sheedy picked his best ever team a few years ago and he was in the team and not on the bench. I guess with so many good options you might not have an “absolute” best team.

4 Likes

At the end of 99, Sheedy bought out his Dream team (1981-1999).
4 man bench to a 6 man bench meant another 2 players added.
Out went Foulds and in came JJ, Lucas and Hawker.
Misfit and Bewick unlucky from the start but as mentioned above, who would you remove?

I’ve got that team on my wall - bit hard to see but they’re all there.

4 Likes