Latest Bomber Magazine

They must've stopped them for adults only.
Maybe they don't want to remind us about how old we're getting.

There's an adults only version?
I need to update my membership!

An adults only version of the Bomber mag. Team poster would be pretty awesome!

An adults only version of the Bomber mag. Team poster would be pretty awesome!
Lol. Not so much from my point of view

hi Ryan.

my 2 cents worth...

the DVD is a good idea but is really a copy of already accessible inf,ormation. It would however be great viewing for members who do not log onto the website or have foxtel.

the magazine is a nice touch, but like most publications, the club has to decide if it is all in for a top quality product or not.

I would be happy with one bumper mag at annual report time with all the season reviews etc.

I would also enjoy a DVD of preseason to build the hype and hope in February.

as for the posters in the mag, perhaps a team poster or player poster with the membership pack would satisfy that matter.

the postage issue would be minimized by piggy backing off the membership pack and annual report mail outs.

the content issue would be reduced by enabling the staff the accumulate the articles over the season.

one other idea on the content, perhaps you could have option for members to submit content over the season.

An Adults Only DVD is something StKilda would do.

To be honest I give the magazine a quick flick through, I read the massages form the coaches and players, read up on the new kids to see who they are and then have a squiz at the team summary to see how tall/heavy players are now and what numbers they are.

I don't throw it out but I never really go back and read them because the content is so redundant.

Actually it's basically just "fluff". There's never anything we don't already know and they completely ignore the more interesting issues. If they wanted to write about what fans care about they should have a look at the issues people are discussing on Blitz ad nauseum and then give us some real insight into the issues.

- Why couldn't Jetta get a game? Was he just lazy? What are the coaches opinions on him?

- What's the real story behind why Ryder left?

- What's the story with Stanton's injury/poor form? Was he playing injured?

- Why wasn't Hird at the Chrichton? How close was he to being sacked and who leaked it to Wilson?

I guess it's just a fluffy magazine for kids, so maybe give members a discount if they don't want it, and lower the production value since it's just for kids.

Ryan, can you advise us why Hird didn't get a mention in the latest magazine?

The reason I'm going with is that the club is/was pretty certain he wouldn't/won't be around in 2015. Even if the mag is just a reflection on 2014 then it would have been nice to hear from Hird what he thought of the list, what he was up to in France, whether he was able to step away from the saga or if it was pretty constant etc.

As a way of feedback I respect the decision of not using Hird to promote the 2015 season in the magazine if they don't think he's going to be around. Personally I'm wating to see him coach a game before I'm #BackIn so I wouldn't be happy if they were using him to promote the season and I bought my membership and then they fed him to the wolves.

It's not a good look him not being in there, so some clarification from the club would be appreciated.

I love the Bomber Magazine!  I regularly look back at past issues i.e what did the recruiting staff have to say about player X when he first joined the club 4 years ago etc.
For me, it's a much better magazine to read then the Footy Record or Inside Football because it's only about the Bombers!

ok dvd sucks, no 2 ways about it. Final year of highschool the book was a dvd, it was ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ nowhere for signatures, no prestige just a ■■■■■■■ cd that won't be usable in 10 years.

I think the mag's main value is as a bit of a time capsule. I flick through them and then put them on a shelf; but I do sometimes look through the old ones and find that rewarding. The move to semi-annual a few years back rather than multiple issues a year made sense from that point of view. So I personally would miss the magazine if it went.

That said I think the suggestion of a year-in-review DVD that collected together Hangar content is a good one and would be a pretty good substitute. Seems like a great way of maximising the value of content the club has already produced, and providing a little extra benefit for members. Members should be able to select a download-only option too. The idea that over time I could have a collection of old hangar vids (and things like game highlights if rights allowed) sitting in my itunes to revisit is pretty compelling.

Opt-in for the magazine makes sense for members but I assume the problem for the club is that the per-mag costs start to skyrocket if too many opt out.

(Off topic but the scarfs / caps etc should be opt out as well, as I think some other clubs do, to reduce wastage and let fans with enough paraphernalia divert the money straight back to the club).

I've got all the magazines since inception, so for me they are memorabilia.

However, most are still in pristine condition (some not even read), so they idea of an annual DVD presentation is very appealing...... include as much stuff as you can fit on it - match highlights, Hangar epidodes, game highlights of B&F winner and runners up, Goal of the year, Mark of the year, Coach's summary of year, Presidents summary, plenty of options - I think it would be a great watch and for the tragics like me, once you've watched it (hopefully a few times) chuck it in with the old magazines.

And thanks for asking Ryan!

Curious as to thoughts on the future of the Bomber Mag here. I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. The current mag takes up weeks of our designers and writers time (most magazines have whole depts producing them whilst we have a couple of staff that have to squeeze it into their already busy workload). The printing cost is high as well and postage is a cost that goes straight from the club to Aus Post (instead of members).

We did the e-version which saves printing/postage but not designer/writer time and also aliennates those that don't have a tablet (or don't like e-reading). I've thought about instead a DVD of all Hangar episodes plus some bonus content, behind the scenes, etc. We'd still have the postage but staff time would be reduced and its cheaper to produce. Plus better for the environment, if you care about that stuff (I do, as a proud Vancouverite!) Members may find more value in it too, particularly the behind the scenes (plus, so much is posted on BTV, you can often miss some great stuff).

But I can also appreciate the value in getting something tangible in the mail, collecting them over the years, etc.

Thoughts?

Let me add that my point isn't to take something away from members. I would never want to outrightly remove it from members without replacing it with something better and of more value. So this isn't coming from a need to cut costs, but rather maximising value.

Legit surprised that there's a magazine this year. Outdated format that must cost a fortune to produce.

Would it be cheaper to do less articles but more photos?

IMO EFC should have a full time photographer.

Ryan I am still for the physical Bomber Mag. I am big on collectables and I think that sort of thing is highly collectible.

Personally as well, being a WA member and not having any rights to seats, just doing it for supporting the club and being a part of the club it's good to get the Mag(s) and membership keyring each year just to feel like you're getting SOMETHING back for your $140. If you made it opt in that'd be a decent idea. 

DVD's = Button Up Boots.

+1 for the Physical Bomber Magazine. Essentially it's mostly filled with Sponsor ads these days, but I would like to be able to re-read these magazines in a few years and see how much has changed, and the players we had etc. NOSTALGIA

I just flicked through the mag and won’t look at it again.

I enjoy the mag. Señora Humberta shows little interest unless there are photos of players with their footy jumpers removed. I’ve never understood this - what’s wrong with our footy jumpers … doesn’t she love ‘the sash’??

[quote name=“Humbert Humbert” post=“411381” timestamp=“1416823712”]I enjoy the mag. Señora Humberta shows little interest unless there are photos of players with their footy jumpers removed. I’ve never understood this - what’s wrong with our footy jumpers … doesn’t she love ‘the sash’??[/quote

Of course she does…but…like every good woman…she greatly appreciated what is behind the sash :wink:

I enjoy the mag. Señora Humberta shows little interest unless there are photos of players with their footy jumpers removed. I've never understood this - what's wrong with our footy jumpers ... doesn't she love 'the sash'??

Of course she does....but...like every good woman....she greatly appreciated what is behind the sash ;)
2015 Membership campaign: Remove The Sash

FWIW there's probably a bit of a generational thing happening here. If I get a physical mag I give it attention, if I get an email I dump it. Bear with me a moment. The Wangaratta Jazz and Blues Festival downgraded their program to a tissue paper version this year after over 2 decades of glossy collectables that I personally treasure and continue to consult and the result was that even though the festival had lots to admire one of the major topics was how ■■■■■■ off patrons were at the crappy program and some people ventured the opinion that if they shifted to a download version that might be it for them. Membership is a fragile vessel, careful how you treat it. Plenty of aging fossils like me appreciate their mag. Cost cutting can sometimes degenerate into throat cutting.

I enjoy the mag. Señora Humberta shows little interest unless there are photos of players with their footy jumpers removed. I've never understood this - what's wrong with our footy jumpers ... doesn't she love 'the sash'??

Of course she does....but...like every good woman....she greatly appreciated what is behind the sash ;)
2015 Membership campaign: Remove The Sash

"Under The Sash"