Leadership Group 2016 - Jobe remains captain

Jobe Watson will Captain the Essendon Football Club for a seventh consecutive season.

Throughout the toughest period in the Club’s history, Jobe’s leadership has withstood immense pressure and provided inspiration for his teammates and the extended Essendon family.

The 30 year-old said he feels re-invigorated and excited about resuming the Captaincy next season.
“To Captain the Essendon Football Club for a seventh season is an honour, and it’s a responsibility that I take extremely seriously,” Watson said.

“Last season was challenging for everyone involved at the Club, but everyone’s had a good break, we feel rejuvenated and the team’s attitude and ambition provides us with great excitement about what we can achieve next season and beyond.

“Whenever you bring in new people there’s always a sense of excitement, John has been fantastic in outlining his vision and method for how we’re going to play in 2016, and we’ve added some experience and youth to our list which generates competition for spots and naturally raises the intensity at training.”

Senior Coach John Worsfold introduced a new process to select the team’s Leadership Group, with the players, Football Executive and Board voting on the makeup of the group.

Joining Jobe in the Leadership Group this season is Dyson Heppell, David Myers, Brendon Goddard, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley and Mark Baguley.

Worsfold said the Leadership Group boasts a wealth of experience and personalities that will uphold the team’s values.

“Jobe returned in a really positive frame of mind and his actions on the training track and in the dressing room spoke volumes, his teammates and the key stakeholders at the Club were left with no doubt he is the right person to lead the team in 2016,” Worsfold said.

“Jobe was the standout person for the role, he was very keen to continue as Captain and do an even better job in the wake of the experience he has gained over the past few years.

“When you look at the people who make up our Leadership Group, they’re outstanding people and players, there’s great depth amongst those seven members.”

Heppell’s strong leadership qualities has seen him installed as the Club’s Vice-Captain, while Hurley and Baguley’s care and professionalism saw them elevated to the group.

“I think it’s fantastic to see the youngest member of the group in Dyson elevated to the Vice-Captaincy, Dyson shows outstanding leadership traits and importantly, this was recognised by his teammates,” Worsfold said.

“Michael Hurley’s return to the Leadership Group is a reflection of his development as a player and person in 2015. Both Michael and Mark Baguley show concern and empathy for their teammates as well as being both extremely competitive and great performers on game-day."

“While these seven players hold an official title, we expect every player on the list to show leadership, and I’m confident the players will hold one another accountable to the standards and values we agreed upon at last week’s training camp in Healesville.”

For comprehensive coverage of today’s Leadership Group announcement, head to essendonfc.com.au

Terrific to see Hooksey, Bags and Hurls in there along with the others.

JOBE! Best club captain in the AFL.

Some changes in the leadership group. Jobe is a given. But I am especially pleased to see Hurls and even more pleased to see Baggers in there.

What I am seeing is the guys that did not give in last year. the ones you could see were still giving their all, Baggers, Hurls and Hooksey are in the leadership group.

Great to see Bags in there.

Having defenders in the leadership group is like letting a bowler captain a cricket team.

That’s how damn good those three are.

Who is missing from last years group?

In: Hurley, Bags Out: Zaka, Stanton, Chappy. Happy with that

Spot on about the blokes who didnt give in when we were getting belted every week.
So happy for Bags, he’s carved out a ripper career for a mature aged recruit.

Very happy.

Very happy.

Harsh on Stants. Zaka’s a leadership yo-yo, in one year out the next.

Freaking Jobe is a champ.

While these seven players hold an official title, we expect every player on the list to show leadership.

If every player is to “show leadership” who is left to follow the lead ?

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians ?

That said, congratulations to Captain Jobe and the six others in the leadership group.

Very happy.

Harsh on Stants. Zaka’s a leadership yo-yo, in one year out the next.

Disagree, think it’s time to send the message our leaders need to be influential on the field.

Stanton might train the house down but when push comes to shove, he doesn’t change and influence games as much as he should. He’s the cream on top of the cake, but he’s not the cake mix… harsh, but true…and delicious.

Well done Bags! Great to see him there.

Terrific reward for Bags’s consistent and continual improvement since he began his career.

Speaks volumes of the guy that he’s been able to achieve a leadership mantle in a relatively short amount of time.

Glad to see Hurley in there too. This guy just leads by example on the field without needing to be vocal about it.

Very happy to see Jobe keep the captaincy. He tear it up next season.

I find Hurley to be quite vocal on the field… Not the loudest trainer but he’s always communicating on game day

Having defenders in the leadership group is like letting a bowler captain a cricket team.

That’s how damn good those three are.

Forget about those three, as a perennial former captain of club and school seconds sides as Full Back I take that as a huge personal compliment.

Game day and training aspect of captaincy, good. Meeting jerkholes, public speaking and having to be nice to stalker supporters, bad.

It is as l predicted, and for the reasons l outlined in the Jobe thread. Didn’t take much to come up with the conclusion, simply Jobe is the best person for the job.

That’s a yaco level self lick right there.

Great leadership group. I guess from a pure performance aspect Myers seems lucky to be there but he is a fine young man apparently.

Distinct lack of forward line leadership (apart from hooker but I still get the feeling he is there because we have no other option)

Cmon Langford that spots got your name on it in 2017.