Leadership Group 2020 - Who is "Highly Rated Internally"?

Wasn’t it the opposite? Players picked Hooker and Hurley but management/coaches over ruled.

I may have my wires crossed, but I remember a bit of fallout that those two were not reappointed.

I thought the players picked the leadership group.

I do vaguely recall reading what you are suggesting though.

I will have a look for the article.

To be fair neither the players or coaches can be trusted at the moment.

The shock overrule that lead to Essendon discontent: Matthew Lloyd

By Chris De Silva

Aug 12th, 2019

Lloyd discusses Essendon leaders

Essendon club legend Matthew Lloyd has suggested that an overrule by the club’s management on the selection of the leadership group led to discontent among the players.

Speaking on Footy Classified, in the wake of the Bombers’ calamitous 104-point loss to the Western Bulldogs, Lloyd took aim at the club’s current leadership group, namely Orazio Fantasia, Joe Daniher and David Myers.

“I look at this leadership group, I’ve been hard on them before,” he said.

"Fantasia should nearly be playing VFL football, that’s how poorly he’s going. I haven’t seen him lead this year.

“David Myers has been a VFL footballer questioning whether he should still be playing AFL football. Daniher is meeting with an opposition club’s CEO.”

“They let Michael Hurley down and they let Cale Hooker down, that’s who players would love to be leading their team.”

Essendon coach John Worsfold has come under immense pressure since the Bombers’ last two heavy defeats at the hands of the Bulldogs and Port Adelaide, with a widespread belief that he will be relieved of his duties if the club fails to make the finals.

Veteran defender Michael Hurley was omitted from the Bombers’ leadership group for 2019 (AAP)

Lloyd questioned the veteran coach’s game plan once again, saying it didn’t stack up against the AFL’s true premiership contenders.

“I hear John talk a lot about brands and building towards a premiership, but I don’t actually know what that is,” he said.

"What are we seeing on the field to back that up? Yes they won five in a row, but they were very much band-aid type of performances, putting paper over the cracks.

"They’re getting what they deserve right now, so I don’t think the brand is that good in terms of winning a premiership. That’s where John needs to be under pressure.

“That’s what John is going to live or die by in my opinion over the next couple of weeks.”

1 Like

Was definitely a failure in hindsight

You can see in part what they were trying to do to bring young leaders through for next wave.

Myers was a joke selection for someone who was going to be phased out of team anyway

A leadership group that want to play the rest of their career at EFC please

1 Like

I wonder it was coaches.

Or our leadership wunderkids of Xavier and Luke Ball.

1 Like

Next years leadership group is pretty much the photo shoot for Under Armour the other day

Heppell
Merrett
McGrath
Shiel
Hooker

Dev Smith is a must include!!!

1 Like

Smith is a must.

Xavier would be my no. 1 to go.

Leadership starts at the top and I reckon we lack culture and identity.

1 Like

You must have Smith

Unless he wants to focus on getting himself right and up and running. He may not want to take on extra at this stage. Just another view, not saying I am right.

1 Like

Wasn’t he there in front of Heppell?

given the injury concerns of Fantasia and Daniher…hope Smith is right ready to go for pre season.

that was a chick …lol

Yeah I kinda feel that’s right. Let him focus on his fitness and footy.

1 Like

Especially as we picked two injured guys for a leadership team this year, and that did not work out so well.

Wasn’t it rumoured Hep preferred having younger lieutenants as didnt get as much push back than did from Hooker and Hurls?

Either way it should never have happened

The leaders of the club which they are should be in the LG.

And whilst Myers a leader it was time for him to step aside in his final year of footy. IIRC he wasn’t even in the LG in previous years.

1 Like

Fake news that one. Hepps regularly chats to the young guys to get their input, that is out of the mouth of McGrath.

1 Like

One doesn’t disprove the other though.