Leadership Group 2020 - Who is "Highly Rated Internally"?

For context.

The GWS game

Myers = 12 touches
Bags = 8 touches
Belly = 7 touches and zero marks
Hurley = 17 touches

Hooker didn’t play.

The senior players, played like trash in a thrashing and deserved scorn.

But no, let’s play semantics on a 3 month old post.

Zerrett, Fanta and JD - actual members of the leadership group - had 16 touches between them.

If we’re in a thread titled “leadership group 2019”, that probably should be included for completeness’ sake, if nothing else.

Also, to be fair to me, I’m replying to davo, not you

Anyone got a fork lift they can loan the leadership group? Its so we can lift the team.

1 Like

Didn’t want to start a new thread just for this so picked in here.

I have noticed a lot of teams seem to be trying to bully/intimidate our players lately.

Our guys seem to be copping it without too much reaction, apart from the Hawks game with Belly and the little poop. Last night we just stood quiet whenever something was dished out. Is this a direction from the coaches or are just not biting back? I can gaurantee Parker and Jones will be pushing our guys around this week.
Our 2000 squad wouldn’t have copped it and I can’t see why this mob is. We have some strong guys with enough agro but rarely see us push back.
While i would definitely take the win however it comes, I also want other teams to respect us, even fear us a little.

Anyway, just random musings…

Hooker should be put back in the leadership group ASAP.

5 Likes

Don’t need to be to be a Leader, he proves that.

It’s really a nothing “Honorary” thing, & he’s big enough and team orientated enough to not give a shitt about that and fully agree a spot in there will aid a younger players psyche and development, and be of much more benefit to the side.

With the flat external vibe during the week I went into the game fearful of the possibility that we might give a flat throw in the towel type performance.

The brand we are playing has addressed the leaking like a sieve issues of prior years. We are defensively decent now and I feel like there is the potential to wreak some damage if we were to make the finals.

The leaders stepped up last night and played very good games. TBC was smashing in in the ruck. Hooker was obviously immense. Heppell, Merrett and Shiel were good. Hurley was good I thought. Fantasia lifted himself when we needed it too despite whatever he is carrying. Im so glad he played rather than resting.

Our leadership has to keep finding ways to lift through the flat spots in games and keep dragging this club forward.

The loyal supporters should get behind that because even if things aint perfect the club is served far better to fight on and find something in the here and now. A quitter energy from anyone around the place should be fought against.

For example Lloyd. Never coached a day in his life except when he quit on Joe Danihers goal coaching.

Well done to the leaders. I was impressed. Heppell has a massive heart. Well done captain. Keep pushing all the kids forward.

Reckon that is a bit harsh on Matty Lloyd.

He always showed strong leadership and there is a bloke from Hawthorn who knows how hard he hits.

As I understand he didn’t quit on Joey, it was more that the Club prevented Matty doing what he wanted to do.

1 Like

I can’t see us minimising our leadership group so who steps up?
Myers is gone.
Daniher less than a qtr of football for 2 years.
Do they bring back Hurley and or Hooker?
McGrath and Smith seem like good candidates but I’m not sure who else.

Shiel.

I also think Saad could or should get a gig. Hes been immense

I imagine they’ve just ditched the idea of a leadership group.
And back to Captain & Vice Captain.

You don’t need to be inducted into a ‘committee’ to be a leader.

If you had no idea who the official team leaders are… you’d guess that Hooker, Hurley & Stringer were in that leadership group.

Why would the club stop Lloyd from teaching him properly? Don’t they want JD to kick straight?

it was a high performance issue. they would only allow him a certain amount of training and kicking practice which Lloydy said was what made him as good a goalkicker as he was.

■■■■■■■ phys-edders…

Lloyd stopped working with JD because he (Lloyd) thought there was a conflict between him working at a club and in the media. He felt he couldn’t be involved with a club or players on the one hand and then be able to comment or criticise that club or player when in his role as a commentator.

Very principled man is Lloyd.

It had nothing to do with club restrictions on JD.

1 Like

Not sure if srs, …

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Lloyd may have been miffed that JD wasn’t allowed to practice as much as he thought (knew) Joe needed and felt he was in a bind not being able to criticise those restrictions whenever he was asked to discuss the hot topic of Joe’s wayward kicking.

So how about the 2019 leadership group.

One played vfl most of the year.

Two injured players did jack and now want to leave.

The VC through no fault of his own can’t take a hit without getting concussed. Not having a digg at Merret here, just it’s going to be hard for him to lead when he can’t and shouldn’t go in hard anymore.

Inspiring choice to pick this group and weren’t the players over ruled in who they wanted.

1 Like

I remember calling out our leadership group at the start of the year and the typical blitz nazi’s propped up as usual.

Maybe we don’t leave it in the hands of the players to pick the leadership group because they cant be trusted.

2 Likes

Clear out the whole leadership group.
From captain and vice captain to the rest of them