Learnings

We’ve become a club that is happy to do Just enough l, so that nobody loses their job. That has become the culture.
From the board, all the way down to the players.

2 Likes

Need a Neil Balme

Fks sake can people please stop trying to project their emotions on to Worsfold then getting upset when it doesn’t work.

The man has shown no other emotion than an occasional wry smile in his 35 years in the sport. He’s not going to start now and it’s silly hold an expectation that he will.

4 Likes

Or Goddard

1 Like

I would get him back at club in some type of role miss the blokes passion guy hated losing

so he doesn’t bring out any emotion…except for the time we draw and he smiles… hmm

1 Like

Yes, but he wasn’t liked tho.

This clubs goal is to be the most liked & respected club in the competition.

1 Like

You can’t teach Learnings to dumb footballers.

Ol’ Pretzels would be great. I’d have him training with the group pushing them every step of the way.

I don’t think it’s working.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/deep-dive-13-reasons-why-essendon-is-mired-in-mediocrity/news-story/8ae577ec451d2ab681d55265030186e2

Ya know we are stuffed when this boof head chimes in,
But the real issue is,I agree with alot of it.Gulp!

Cant read article blocked by the pay wall

What ever he says will probably be spot on

Pfft, only 13 reasons!

1 Like

Balme yes. Not Goddard. We need a strong mind, not strong emotion.

3 Likes

Woosha was a calming stable influence after the on-going drama of the supplements saga and for that, I give him credit. Credit earned where credit is due. So, to say Woosha has done nothing, is false.

However, many of the players development seems to have gone backwards not so far backwards they are out the door but; backwards nevertheless. I wonder if Rutten and Caracella every think what the hell have we got ourselves into here??? We are certainly a long way from putting another piece of hardware in the glass cabinet and many of us hunger for it. 20 years is a long time in footy and a week can be too and this feels like a b1oody long season.

Injuries and a heap of other stuff, including the essendon malaise, can a new team lift us out the quicksand in 2021??? Can we once again be a powerhouse within the AFL???

1 Like

any chance you could post the article text?

We don’t have a one year ban hanging over the heads of our best players. That’s an improvement.

This isn’t a minor thing.

Stringer, Saad, Smith wouldn’t have considered us as an option without it.

I disagreed with some of the coaching hires in 2016-17, but it was unlikely the elite assistants would considered us. Why would they?

We are at least now in a position where players want to come play for us and coaches leave top 4 teams to be part of the staff. That wasn’t happening in the aftermath of the saga that’s for sure.

1 Like

First thought when looking at this was that infamous photo of heppell and myers sharing a laugh after we lost…

You don’t think the personality of a coach matters? In 2016 a lot were happy with Woosha’s ability to be calm etc… and I agree it was the right approach but I was worried. I still felt there wasn’t a killer instinct in there. This was a coach that coasted on the back of one of the best midfields ever assembled and a huge home field advantage to just scrape in for a flag… and claims he was unaware that half the team was coked up to the eyeballs.

Woosha has never, ever, shown me anything that would indicate that a desire to win a flag burns deep into his soul and the players have followed. Many didn’t like it… but I want a Goddard type… I want to see Pretzels flying when you have played a kaka first half… I want to see some very animated hands in the qtr time huddle when you have only had 2 tackles and are down by 3 goals…

Modern footballers are modern kids… I agree the fire and brimstone approach isn’t going to work… those days are done. However there is a MIDDLE ground… a coach that makes winning a priority and that is the minimum standard. Losing is not something to laugh at. A draw should never be time to smile… ever.

We need to find a winning culture… I’d be keen if Woosha left the hub today and lets see what Truck has. I want to hear him at press conferences… I want to see exactly what messaging he is bringing to the squad. I want every EFC player to feel the burning desire of unfulfilled business.

The problem that we are now in, and teams like Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton et al have been through it… is we are so far removed from success that our players don’t even know what it farking feels like to win finals. They don’t actually have a real sense that there is a point beyond playing well enough to keep the pay cheques coming. They can ‘talk’ of wanting success but I don’t think many of them really WANT it… like hit a golf ball with a stump against a water tank until you have blisters kind of WANTING it. Until we recruit kids who live and breath it… and have leaders that live and breath it and have a coach that would sell both his nuts to get it… then we won’t ever get to the summit.

I just don’t see it happening in my lifetime.

6 Likes