Lets Go Surfin' Now , Everybody's Learnin' How ......... C'mon A Safari With The Bombers!

A few more weeks into it now. Still love the thing.

Went for a ride and didn’t have to touch down a foot or stop for around 15 minutes due to luck with traffic. Up a few gentle hills, down a few gentle hills.

Absolutely burned up my legs.

It has definitely confirmed that I have a bit of a technical flaw on my forehand top turn.

If you didn’t like the Carver, hambo, then I imagine the Smoothstar is even more unstable at speed, but it is really optimised for slow speed turn refinement. Put out some witches hats and you can simulate some fundamentals.

Davethedon, they cost around $370.

Feel for any blitzers in vicco who can’t go surfing atm. That would drive me into craziness. Seriously. I’d be hard to live with

1 Like

Hmm I’ll have to think about that. I’m a terrible surfer (a bit old slow and tubby, and with shot shoulders so I paddle like a drowning beetle) but I enjoy wallowing around and falling to my feet occasionally! What I’ve found for dry land is that if I use a rip stik, NOT in the scissoring motion you use to propel it, but instead both heels down and then both toes down, you can mimic a surfing turn somewhat. So I can do that on a flat or slight downslope indefinitely (until knacjered) and on a slight upslope I can revert to the twisting/scissoring that most people use a rip Stik for. If you bend your knees and stay low like you should, your thighs burn up pretty quick doing the ‘slalom’ turns… We have a tennis court nearby where I can scissor up and ‘slalom’ surf-turn down. I’ve tried to explain how to do this to a mate who had one but he can’t get away from the scissoring motion.

2 Likes

Yes missing it. My kids have never been big on winter but they’re both pining for a paddle. SWMBO is happy to wait for warmer water in late spring, assuming we can get there by then! Some colleagues from the surf coast are able to get out although reporting it been a lake last week.

1 Like

I’ve got mates who order boards off me down near the Island who give me updates on the conditions. Sounds like a lot of wild weather days this winter. Hang in there, hopefully u guys are in the clear soon

1 Like

I would say definitely give one a go, but err on the side of getting a larger one than you think you need if you are uncertain about what is suitable.

1 Like

Hopefully mate, it’s not the most important thing but it sure would be nice. I’m not fussed in the slightest if I have to wear a mask for the next 5 years, but I would like to have a few surfs.

2 Likes

I still can’t surf but can I order custom surfboards. It’s time to do just that.

Is this a question for me?

1 Like

Ha, sorry Lennoxbomber, I forgot that you shape.

No I’m just raging into… not the wind, because I am stuck indoors… raging into the ducted central heating.

But of lockdown madness I’m guessing

1 Like

Bit

Just a minor explosion.

Tell me about the boards you shape please, I’m intrigued.

“Butt of lockdown madness” seems appropriate

1 Like

I don’t shape em. I’m a glassing company for DHD, LSD an Woodsurfboards but make em in Lennox Head

1 Like

Ah, got you!

A “glassing company” in another context could be a group of gentleman you did not want to meet in a pub, in Liverpool, late on a Friday night.

Haha true

Watch out for those boys, they are the 3rd Liverpudlian Glassers. Fierce reputation, preferred weapon is the Pint. Strongest on offence in a first strike attack. Some limited skill in wielding a bar towel in the off-hand as a defensive measure.

Back to the original post on the wave park. The guy that designed the surf section of the park lives about 5 houses past Dangerfields house at Moggs Creek.{Muggs Creek to those that don’t live there}.He always wore a red Gaff helmet so we called him Mr Tomato Head he bought a white one so he became Mr Potato Head.

2 Likes

Moggs Creek