Lid on 2016 - even tippa can't save this ship

What’s the scoreboard now? 10-0 between lid on and lid off.

New coach, same crap.

Although I think in 2016 we may make it to late June before the inevitable failure begins.

I hope not. Providing there are no more surprises from CAS/WADA/ASADA/AFL.

I think the clean out has begun, Woosha was bought in for many things and one was to clean out the dead wood without any attachment to names, blood lines etc. There is still more to be done but it will take a couple of years. He is getting the team premiership ready that is the plan and it will look a bit different to the team now. There is much more to do and we shouldn’t expect too many miracles in his first year as SENIOR COACH. Woosha would be well aware of what Essendon Family do to their senior coaches.

I think providing there are no more hidden surprises, the players ought to be ready to play some footy without all the crap hanging over their heads and ducking the knife throwing from big brother in the big house or bending over from the boys in high places at Tullamarine. Let’s at least give them the opportunity to perform with a clean slate.

All depends on Watson, Hocking and Myers for me. If we can get at least two of those guys up and running for most of the season it will solve the clearance differential we had last year. I’m hoping that Jobe’s shoulder and ab/groin issues are fixed and he can start distributing again.

We certainly have a talented list, but it’s not performing to capabilities

What's the scoreboard now? 10-0 between lid on and lid off.

New coach, same crap.

Although I think in 2016 we may make it to late June before the inevitable failure begins.

You’ve got to stop listening to your Leonard Cohen records in the mornings.

Yeah, nah.

Save me from tomorrow

New coach, same crap.

You're right, I like him too but some of his stuff is wrist slashing material.

2015 was a salutary year: Where you have to treasure the wins but get your ( vicarious) pleasure from watching players develop, because it enables you to enrich the list with a long term benefit and no impact on the cap. If we have another bad year in 2016 , it will just make 2017-2020 better

New coach, same crap.

You're right, I like him too but some of his stuff is wrist slashing material.

We used to refer to it as Music to Slash your Wrists by…like the songs at Molly Blooms in the 90s was Music to Blow up Pubs by

The “Pro-Hirders*” are going to go absolutely spaz when our developing, rebuilding list is getting rightfully belted week in week out next year. CLEAN AIR etc.

*deliberately flippant term

FWIW, I find that offensive.

When I stop starting the sentence with ’ I hope…’ about how most of even the best 22 might go next year, we might actually be a good side.
To illustrate:
I hope Jobe recaptures his hunger and form.
I hope Myers stays injury free.
I hope zaharakis can get a bit tougher and injury free.
I hope TBell AND Luey have injury free seasons.
I hope Fantasia can improve again.
I hope McKenna can improve.
Etc…etc, u can keep going.

Either I’m wanting something different to what has been the norm, or the player in question is around the 15-50 game mark and so there’s not enough evidence to feel entirely sure that some good form shown in the past will be done consistently next year.

I just don’t know if my hope is just wishful thinking most of the time!

The "Pro-Hirders*" are going to go absolutely spaz when our developing, rebuilding list is getting rightfully belted week in week out next year. CLEAN AIR etc.

What makes you think it would only be the "pro-=hirders’ or anyone for that matter? We might even surprise ourselves.
The "Pro-Hirders*" are going to go absolutely spaz when our developing, rebuilding list is getting rightfully belted week in week out next year. CLEAN AIR etc.

If we go well, they’ll spout Hird would have done the same if given the opportunity.
If we go poorly, lots will be questioning where we’re going.

For me, I just want to see effort. This past season the effort was worse than some of the games under Knights and some of the games under Sheeds, but it started after round 2, continued through to WADA appeal and nose dived four or five other times after it.
If we replicate this seasons effort under Worsfold, then he must be critiqued and analysed (internally and externally). I believe we can do that subjectively. With Hird, such discussion/critique could not be achieved.

What does “rightfully belted” mean? No Essendon supporter thinks the club should be belted - on the field or off. We have had enough of that from every quarter over the last three years so there is no need to bring it from within.

We all want to see the club do well. Even the derided “Pro-Hirders”.

When I stop starting the sentence with ' I hope.....' about how each player might go next year, we might actually be a good side

Unfortunately at this time of the year ‘I hope…’ is all you can say. Long way to go before any of them take to the park so anything can happen.

I think next year will be an interesting one. As per every year there is a lot that needs to go right for any footy club to be able to have a successful season and make the 8, top 4 or win the big one.

1. If we are cleared, finally, by WADA, then there is no reason why we can’t push for a spot in the eight. We have the talent, there is no doubt, the mental pressure will be relieved and so long as number 2 is also positive for us we should go alright. On the negative side if we are found guilty then kiss another season goodbye. Even without any games suspension, if that is what the deal, the players would not have their hearts in the game. I think they would be spent and it would not be good. Then again there is a silver lining to that and we get high picks in the draft again. Unless the AFL wants to slap us with another penalty.

2. If we are lucky and have a better run with injuries, to our better players, then there is no reason why we can’t push for a spot in the eight. Every team has injuries, but it is to whom they occur that causes the biggest impacts, of course. On the negative side, if we are unlucky, and we have a year like this one, then our depth will again be heavily tested and we could well be in the bottom 4. Unless, of course, number 3 is positive for us.

3. Our younger players take another step forward and we get instant impact from picks 4 and 5 and our more mature new recruits, who knows what is possible. But then we go back to numbers 1 and 2….

There is no doubt that the last three years have cost us dearly in so many ways, but the mental one is hugely underestimated by a lot of people. The ridiculous media hype and pressure that is put upon these young men, who both play the game and coach the players will destroy the very game that they believe they are, somehow, upholding.

I love footy and the EFC, but this last three years has seen me turn off from any footy news and I no longer check out any media sites, other than EFC ones. I live in the country and we have no ‘free to air’ tv reception and being in northern NSW I don’t have to contend with the crap that is spewed out on the Vic radio stations. It is a saving grace as I am sure I would have just spent my time thumping people who made stupid comments about the Bombers.

I just want to enjoy watching the footy again and seeing the players get a fair crack at their careers.

(Not sure if “Lid On” enough, but had to off load it.)

Yeah I’m usually lid off so, that’s all I had!

Let’s not forget James Hird wants the club to go well too.

Sorry I thought this was the thread where we got to be over the top pessimistic

And I mean “rightfully belted” in that it’s very likely we field a young side most weeks that is likely to lose more games than we win.