Lid on 2016 - even tippa can't save this ship

who knows what will happen next year, with a new coach, new ish players and all of the like.

who’d have thought in 2011 they’d make finals ?

For me the basis for judging a success next year is not about making finals persay (sorry AT :p).
It’s about finding the right mix of players across the whole ground
and
developing the list for the next 2-4 years

If they fall into finals playing the same old players and aren’t aiming for beyond next year then IMO it’ll be a waste of another year.

But again they’ve only just started pre season training so no one really knows what Worsfold WILL do.
either way it’ll be one year closer to removing the dead wood out of the club. I’ve waited this long i guess a year or 2 more won’t hurt to much, hopefully.

4th oldest list in the competition.

Is that post drafts?

Couldn’t be, we were 4th oldest last year.
Since then we’ve cut 4-5 old blokes and about 8 of 21-23 year olds and replaced with most of them with younger guys.

North were oldest last year and they’ve added exciting “young” talent like Farren Ray.

4th oldest list in the competition.

Is that post drafts?

Couldn’t be, we were 4th oldest last year.
Since then we’ve cut 4-5 old blokes and about 8 of 21-23 year olds and replaced with most of them with younger guys.

North were oldest last year and they’ve added exciting “young” talent like Farren Ray.

Champion Data AFL ‏@championdata Nov 24
Despite a 40 year old retiring, Essendon still has the 4th oldest list in the competition #2016aflprospectus http://www.championdata.com.au

List age is one of those rubbish stats that doesn’t mean anything though.

List ‘age’ probably skewed by a high number in the 27+ category, yet our youth stocks are still pretty reasonable

List 'age' probably skewed by a high number in the 27+ category, yet our youth stocks are still pretty reasonable
We seem to have had this problem a few times in recent years. Our best players are 27+ and we have good players under 21-22 but the ones between 23 and 26 are average at best.

Given we only recruited a couple in the last couple of drafts, we still probably doing have as many 18-21 as other lists.

But it doesn’t matter.

List 'age' probably skewed by a high number in the 27+ category, yet our youth stocks are still pretty reasonable
We seem to have had this problem a few times in recent years. Our best players are 27+ and we have good players under 21-22 but the ones between 23 and 26 are average at best.
Hibberd 26 at start of next season and Hurley 25 are average at best?

Was referring to mainly in the past as a general rule. Who else do we have in that bracket though? How old is Hooker?

You have to admit (assuming they are only 2 that came to mind) that’s pretty thin.

Checked it up. Between 23 and 26
Howlett (27 by 2016 season)
Myers (as above)
Hooker (as above)
Hurley
Zaka
Smack
Hibbo
TBell
Pears
Hep
Colyer
Ambrose
Merrett (23 by next season)

Of that list, how many would you say are A grade? 3 (including Hooker). It’s pretty thin. But worse is that it drops away quickly. Myers (injury) and Hibbo could probably get to A but I wouldn’t expect it now. Colyer maybe in a couple of years.

We are relying alot on Z Merrett, Laverde and Francis and Parish to really come through and we really really need them to come through and be A grade as quick as Hep has.

The "Pro-Hirders*" are going to go absolutely spaz when our developing, rebuilding list is getting rightfully belted week in week out next year. CLEAN AIR etc.

*deliberately flippant term

If we go well, they’ll spout Hird would have done the same if given the opportunity.
If we go poorly, lots will be questioning where we’re going.

For me, I just want to see effort. This past season the effort was worse than some of the games under Knights and some of the games under Sheeds, but it started after round 2, continued through to WADA appeal and nose dived four or five other times after it.
If we replicate this seasons effort under Worsfold, then he must be critiqued and analysed (internally and externally). I believe we can do that subjectively. With Hird, such discussion/critique could not be achieved.

Its very simple really, impossible to judge Hird on his efforts this year, what ■■■■■■ me off the most is the deluded people thinking WADA had nothing to do with it. There is simply no point trying to even compare coaches, no matter how poorly or good we perform next year. Its like comparing apples to oranges. Completely different situations.

Easy way is two equals signs separated by a slash:

=/=

You had two thirds of it…

Get a Mac for obvious typography.

(option =)

There’s no alt-code for it because it’s a unicode character.You can find it in character map …

start>all programs>accessories>system tools>character map.

Search for not equal to

Not all have to become a grade, but it’s important that most become very good consistent players. We’ve got very few of either at the moment.

Was referring to mainly in the past as a general rule. Who else do we have in that bracket though? How old is Hooker?

You have to admit (assuming they are only 2 that came to mind) that’s pretty thin.

Myers (as above)
Hooker (as above)
Hurley
Zaka
Smack
Hibbo
TBell
Pears
Hep
Colyer
Ambrose

Of that list, how many would you say are A grade? 3 (including Hooker). It’s pretty thin. But worse is that it drops away quickly. Myers (injury) and Hibbo could probably get to A but I wouldn’t expect it now. Colyer maybe in a couple of years.

We are relying alot on Z Merrett, Laverde and Francis and Parish to really come through and we really really need them to come through and be A grade as quick as Hep has.

All of that list, with the exception of Pears and Ambrose, could be A grade next year.

All depends on Watson, Hocking and Myers for me. If we can get at least two of those guys up and running for most of the season it will solve the clearance differential we had last year. I'm hoping that Jobe's shoulder and ab/groin issues are fixed and he can start distributing again.

We certainly have a talented list, but it’s not performing to capabilities

the form/fitness of berger, tbell and smack will have a pretty big say in things too

fark it, lid off

full mig-29 vid if you’re interested

Myers (as above)
Hooker (as above)
Hurley
Zaka
Smack
Hibbo
TBell
Pears
Hep
Colyer
Ambrose

All of that list, with the exception of Pears and Ambrose, could be A grade next year.

Wrong thread for you then.

Howlett won’t be A Grade and I think Myers has missed his chance due to injuries (and being played out of position for his first 5 years).
Don’t think Smack has the tools to get to A grade and TBell doesn’t have the heart to get to it. Zaka, well he would want to do it soon.

The only one I disagree with is Smack. Too early to say I reckon. Made such big gains last year in a side where most were poor.

Just maybe he does make a very good player.

Very good player /= A grade. How about a minus - equals =???

Does anyone know how to do the “does not equal” sign?

Myers (as above)
Hooker (as above)
Hurley
Zaka
Smack
Hibbo
TBell
Pears
Hep
Colyer
Ambrose

Wrong thread for you then.

Howlett won’t be A Grade and I think Myers has missed his chance due to injuries (and being played out of position for his first 5 years).
Don’t think Smack has the tools to get to A grade and TBell doesn’t have the heart to get to it. Zaka, well he would want to do it soon.

Definitely the wrong thread for me.

And I overlooked Howlett.

But anyway, I think this is the critical point isn’t it. Get development and improvement out of a whole bunch of guys who haven’t quite got there yet due to any number of factors (injuries, saga, whatever).

They don’t need to be career A grade players, but one or two years at A grade standard from a few of them will make a massive difference to the results in those years.