Lid on 2021

What’s that got to do with my point? It’s exactly my point, in fact. We won’t get what we want on a game by game basis many many times this year.

The plan is to get what we want out of the season. By playing Jones Cahill Caldwell Cox Ham Wright (and hopefully soon Perkins) we are succeeding.

The point is it wasn’t just a 1-pt loss.

It was a 1-pt loss after being up by 40 in the second quarter, and then blowing it to a team who has a much worse list than we do.

It’s bad. It’s really bad.

6 Likes

It’s the sort of frustration you get with a young team in a rebuild with a new coach and 2 debutants, 3 first time players, 4 players under 15 games and a host of positional changes all trying to learn a new system.

Its not that we lost

Its the way we lost specifically that has people ■■■■■■ off. Its just more of the same ■■■■ we have been subject to for too long now.

If they had of come from half time and clamped down and slowly ate away at our lead and won I think most on here would agree that its just a rebuild year and young players get fatigued.

But as usual, we got a lead and went into half time with our heads so far up our arses and come out applying no effort. These players havnt won anything, and they let this happen. Its worrying.
Its such a stark stark difference to Richmond who have won 3 out of 4 but practice and preach staying humble and true to the game.

Its just so disappointing.

8 Likes

When has that happened in the past though? This felt a new kind of loss.

A new kind of loss and a new kind of win for Clarkson who in all his years has never coached a win from 39 points down at half time

Essington

3 Likes

you watched the game yet?

I watched it when I got home late last night. YIKES!!!

What don’t you understand about what I’m saying?

This sort of ■■■■ is what happens when you’re in our position. And no, I’m not just talking about losing. I’m talking about exactly what you’re saying.

i reckon its time for us to not trade out first or 2nd round picks for 2 years.

1 Like

Thats no excuse Hawks are rebuilding too

1 Like

First time in 22 years Hawks have come back and won from that margin

This loss is beyond peak Essington it’s a disgrace

1 Like

Because what you’re saying is wrong.

Losing is fine. Showing 0 effort and refusing to run defensively because we had 1 good quarter is a disgrace.

In the grand scheme of things this loss doesnt even matter, so I dont care about that. But Id prefer to lose every game this year but show great discipline and signs for the future than lose like we did yesterday.

1 Like

Yep where is the blue collar? I saw nothing different… flashy ball movement for a quarter and then capitulation.

Story of Essendon been like that for decades and it ain’t changing

Club needs an exorcist to get rid of the shitness that’s plagued the club for decades

Will they drop their heads and attitudes as we go 0-5 possibly?

If they do,first chance of a win might not be till round 10 vs North!!!

Its disappointing but there certainly are still positives to take out of last night.

Mcgrath, Caldwell and Draper are going to be super stars for the next 7 years at least.
Ditto Parish if he is given the opportunity.

Cox and Jones both look great and by all accounts Perkins looks fantastic so far too.
Our list really is starting to come together, ive been a fan since I moved to the country in 2003 and If all goes well over the next 3 years we will have a better list than Ive had the privilege of seeing.

This will be a big test for Truck moving forward. He HAS to be stern with this group if he wants to get the best out of them. We’ll soon find out if he has it in him.

How is it wrong? By definition it’s right - what happened last night happened to a team in our position.

What’s your actual argument? That we shouldn’t have shithouse losses? Or that we’re not rebuilding?

My arguement is that regardless of a rebuild there are non negotiables that cant be crossed, like running both ways and not being lazy with effort.

Theres a big difference to running out of legs because the team is young to what happened to us. And for the record our midfield isnt even that young.

how is it wrong, because you’re quantifying success in this instance as playing the kids as the only measure of success in a “development year” (it was not branded a rebuild).

It is one aspect of a variety of variables that need to be measured against. Cos there’s no ■■■■■■■ point pumping games into kids, just so in 3-4 years time, they still don’t know how to hold a 40 odd point lead at half time.

it’s also the first game, so you can’t be saying with young sides this is the fluctuation in form you get. If they came out and had a good showing against port, win or loss and then were flat against the saints, then you could justify your comment.
But again it was one game, that they were 40 odd points up, and they like previous essington teams switched off at half time.

There is a big ■■■■■■■ difference between not being good enough and or simply the opposition being too good and giving your all versus actively switching off from what got you 40 points up. and that is a trait and habit this club has picked up.
They put in one good qtr and think the job is done.

So again unless you actively coach them not to switch off from qtr to qtr, it is ■■■■■■■ pointless simply pumping games into kids and claiming it as a success, because you’re simply giving them games and teaching them bad habits.

and all bar 5 players from last night (caldwall, cahill, ham,jones, cox) are into their 5th season and beyond in the afl and or football in general system.

you realise by default you’re blaming them for the loss right ? because they are young and their form and effort fluctuates right ?
Are any of them the actual reason why we lost last night ?
cahill and cox had quiet nights, Jones is a twig and shouldn’t have any real expectations on what he can do yet.
caldwall had 22, ham had it 17.

so again by default you’re saying it’s their fault that the team dropped a 40 point lead in a qtr, because they dropped off their form and effort that exponentially that it was always one of them doing something wrong that lead the opposition to score.

For someone who is excited about pumping games into kids and measuring it as a success, you sure are again by default laying a hell of alot of blame at their feet.

See i’d have said it was others dropping off their intensity, like they have known to do in the past, guys like hepp, smith, shiel, merret, hooker etc etc.

the 5 guys i mentioned earlier don’t have any expectations on them, other than to compete, and they did. they aren’t the ones who cost us the game.

2 Likes