Live pick trading

It’s not for the viewer’s benefit: it’s to prop up PayTV membership and hence AFL coffers.

And if it helps the AFL dominate the media for one extra day, all the better.

Their IT systems can’t seem to handle draft as it is now. Imagine them trying to handle draft picks being swapped around.

1 Like

Let’s do it

As long as only picks and the kids drafted are traded not contracted players then it should be allowed

Imagine say cassidy parish is picked just before 48

We then offer 48 and a late pick to secure our man while the other team gets a similar ranked player and something extra for their troubles.

Or hypothetically last year say GWS gives us pick 2 and their next for Andy McGrath

Will you be able to trade future picks? This may be a way to get a club to “downgrade” a pick.

Not sold on the idea. Sounds like an added complication. But happy for clubs to trade picks between trade week and draft day.

The suggestion on afl.com.au is that it would be trade month, not trade week, or trade 9-days

I think you’re the first to suggest the right to trade for a player just drafted, which is not (to my knowledge) how the US systems work. IF it was introduced, that might be a go. It might also help interstate kids get to their home states. Obviously it would only work if the club who picked said player had another option they were just as happy with, so still unlikely to occur very often.

It’s a thing that happens in the NBA draft. You can draft a guy and then trade him out during the draft.

2 Likes

GWS didnr have Pick 2, did they?
Only were able to magic it up because of zoning.

They had pick 2. They traded it in from brisbane (upgraded from pick 3 which they got for McCarthy).

2 Likes

Yep, my bad, had Taranto (Pick 2) and setterfield (Pick 5, magic fantasy points) confused.

1 Like

I think you’d find out how true “we couldn’t believe he was still available at our pick” is compared to “well we had to pick someone”

Maybe 16 people. It’s not many.

What if we are not really interested in “buzz” and “positive spin.”
What if we just want football.
Why should players be shuffled around to the highest bidder? We wouldn’t allow it to happen to lawyers, or waiters, why should we allow players to be sent to the other side of the country against their will?
Because that’s where this is headed.

I’m going off on a tangent…but earlier this year, I heard an interesting suggestion on radio… what if teams just bid for players using purely their points?

I hadn’t bothered thinking about it until now, but here goes:

• We could get rid of the draft order altogether. Teams simply go into draft period with a total pool of points to spend. This eliminates the need for pick swaps.
  • Just like a blind auction at the Crichton, you simultaneously distribute your bid points across your preferred mix of players.
  • If you are under bidder for a player, you get to reassign those points in the next round of bidding.
  • Academy clubs get the 20% uplift to any points bid on relevant academy players.

This system could be more efficient overall…because the draft order is actually an inflexibility that prevents clubs from getting the player mix that is optimal, at minimum cost…currently, the draft order can result in a club being shocked by the oversupply/undersupply of a certain type of player when it reaches their pick. That’s inefficient. John Nash relevant to this whole topic?

There would still be many details that need to be worked out…eg. How many iterations of the bidding need to be run? How to avoid gaming of the system?

The only downside I see is that Carlton might realise that no one else wants Boekhorst.

How about we ■■■■ off the Northern academies and also FA compo picks, and go back to every club has 1 pick per round?

1 Like

That sort of system doesn’t allow for much flexibility when head office needs to bend the rules to suit their agenda

I don’t agree with player live trading…

One will lead to the other. It will be what the AFL wants. They like excitement, they like all things American, they like to promote their product.

Probably won’t be long before they introduce a random lion to the MCG on match day to add “excitement” and improve the “experience” for the TV fans.

You may have something there - that random pig on the SCG generated some excitement.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a thing in the NBA

Obviously those players don’t get a say who they a traded to so it doesn’t matter as much

But let’s say if a kid was drafted and had to leave his home state,

Let’s say the new draftee can nominate 3 teams he can be traded to and the club can only trade him to those teams.

Otherwise it’s gonna get too confusing maybe just leave it at draft picks for now and down the road adjustments can be made