Local Cricket

Pretty sure we’ll be playing. Warrnambool only had 14mm to noon yesterday, 5mm the day before, nothing since. Full cloud cover, but covered wickets.

Did something today I’ve haven’t done in over 30 years of playing cricket. Pinged my first calf today. We got the win though.

1 Like

So Endeavour Hills CC have the following players playing for them this season.

• Dimuth Karunatatna (current Sri Lanka Test Captain)
  • Shohaib Malik
  • Fidel Edwards
  • Chris Gayle
  • Suranga Lakmal
  • Tillakaratne Dilshan
  • Lahiru Thirimanne
  • Matt Forde (West Indian u19)

Good effort fitting them into the 22 point player point system.

Chris Gayle? Fk, hope they aren’t playing on any ovals in a residential area.

1 Like

Endeavour Hills can’t be bothered developing the local youth? It’s subbies for God’s sake.

Add Dawid Malan to the list at EHCC:

How much money do they have, and who is bankrolling this?

1 Like

It reminds me of a country footy club. It is like they are having one last crack before shutting up shop. No idea if that’s the case in this example.

Back before the BBL was a franchise based comp, Gayle played for WA. I played a game out at Balcatta’s ground, which was used by the WA Warriors for pre-season games because the deck out there was similar to the WACA in terms of pace and bounce. Anyway WA played an intra-club there and apparently GC hit a straight six that actually didn’t just go into someone’s backyard, but went OVER the first house and into the property behind!

There was an article in the paper this morning suggesting that the Port Fairy Folk Festival be permanently moved away from Avery’s Paddock and Southcombe Park. They pay a $4,000 bond every year, but this year it’s been forfeited. The claim is that it will take $100,000 worth of work (all by volunteers, and most of them are 70 plus) to repair the field and that Avery’s Paddock may not be available for the 2022-23 season. A pity because it’s the best ground and pitch in the WDCA competition. It can be a bugger to umpire there with the wind coming straight out of the south, the beach being only about 150m from the pitch, and the wind takes the sound of faint nicks away from you.

Not sure what’s actually happened but I know they normally protect the centre wicket area. We haven’t had a huge amount of rain, but it did rain heavily at the end of the Festival. Recently just a dozen sharp showers a day, adding to about 4mm daily.

Our local synthetic comp in the eastern suburbs has just called this weekends Round 1 a washout due to too many grounds not being fit to play.

Burvale should officially sponsor round 1.

Warrnambool comp is hybrid…Div 1 all turf, Div 2 mostly turf but some hard wickets, Div 3 and 4 all hard wickets.

First 4 weeks are all played on hard wickets, Divs 3 and 4 start a fortnight later but on Sundays.

Anyhow, all games off for next Saturday.

Our comp has been called off for Round 1, and I’d say that Round 2 would be under jeopardy as well.

Our decks after I went down to the ground Tuesday night:

Top dressing is all rubble. Will be doing well to get on at all in October…

We played today and the weather was magnificent. Bowled first and restricted them to 7/120 after there overs and passed them one down. I had an easy day. Bowled 5 overs and took 3 catches. Wasn’t needed with the bat.

It was great to be back out playing.

2 Likes

No play for us but a good training session this morning. Nice to bat in sunlight and get a few in the middle of the bat. Fingers crossed we get on next week but it’s probably still a bit dicey given how grounds are looking and of course Wednesday to Friday looks like a fair bit of rain, which will hamper pitch preparation…

Ran into the association president this morning.

Next week’s Div 1 and Div 2 matches (14 games) are to be spread over both days of the weekend, because simply not enough grounds (hard wicket, at that) will be ready.

And we’re expecting rain from Wednesday on.

You should look where you’re going.

1 Like

We’re off for today, and they’ll be meeting re tomorrow at 10am.

Rained off last week, rained off this week, bye for cup weekend next week, our teams scheduled bye the weekend after!

1 Like

All our Saturday teams have had games cancelled. I’m playing tomorrow and at this stage still on, but depends on how the ground/deck is. We are away. Went down to the club and helped with the covers on our 2 grounds which will be in action tomorrow. One the wicket for the match is ■■■■■■ but the rest of the square is OK. On the other, the pitch for the game is great but the rest of the square is slush.