Local Cricket

Our first 3 weeks were abandoned in the whole comp but Round 2 is going ahead this weekend as a one dayer.
By all reports it’s sounds like less than half the turf decks got up. Our home deck for the A1’s looked like no chance on Thursday night but several of the players and committee worked around the clock to get it up.
Bit of controversy in the A2’s as our opponents couldn’t field a side so were not too interested in getting a deck up and hoping to take the draw but being on the exec committee of the association I made sure I had arranged for umpires and a committee member to check out the ground on Friday and they said the game could go ahead and basically ordered them to prepare the deck to which they duly forefeited last night and gave us maximum points

Our lot are talking about changing the fixture to one-dayers all season. I remember it happened in Melbourne around 1991. We were running 50 over games finishing at 7.30 after Christmas, because we missed nearly every week before Christmas.

We’ll be getting a call about 10.30 tomorrow about the Div 3 and 4 games. They all play on hard wickets regardless…40 overs a side, overs bowled in clumps of 5 overs, no marked lines for wides, no field restrictions.

Delayed start time for us. T20 game at 2PM.

Only U18’s but still not a single run off the bat

2 Likes

Played yesterday, T20 game. Batted first and we made just 87 on a deck that to be fair was pretty decent given all the rain, but the outfield was slow. Opened and made 7, the opposition had a guy playing for them that played Essendon CC 1s last year and he was a very good bowler. My first game in over 18 months so would’ve preferred some more docile bowling fair to say! They were cruising at 2/65 and needed just 23 runs from the last 5 overs before they collapsed in a heap to have them all out 79 in the last over. First game for the new club, win, very happy!

3 Likes

Who are you playing for now?

We had all of Saturday’s games washed out, but Div 3 and Div 4 went ahead yesterday. I was out at Yambuk, about 15km west of PF…nice big ground. Light drizzle started after 25 overs and persisted until game finished just before 5. Home team batted first for 91…mizzle from 25 overs. Visiting captain asked if conditions were right for them to start their innings. I just said it was no worse than 15 overs in the first innings, and if they didn’t start now, it was unlikely for conditions to improve so there’d be no more play. He changed his view at that, and they passed the score after 26 overs for 4 down.

Very quick drive home and into a hot shower.

Youlden Parkville, in the Mercantile Cricket Association.

1 Like

Aren’t they in the VTCA any more?

Nup. Dropped out several years ago. Not the only club to have done that. Flemington left the VTCA for the MCA and of course all the south and south-east clubs that were in the VTCA broke away and formed the Southern Bayside comp. Mercantile has the advantage of umpires right through the grades, whereas VTCA you’ll be lucky to get any outside of the 1st XI grades.

It was Flemington-Kensington CC in my day. They played on a ground at the Flemington end of Racecourse Rd IIRC.

When I played VJCA, we had umpires down about 4 or 5 grades, but my last game vs Springvale, we went without and they were diabolical…so bad that instructions on the second day were that the LBW law had been scrapped.

Just a little wet at Windy Hill!

1 Like

This weather is ridiculous. I can’t remember a season like this. Hopefully we’ll get some play in next week.

2 Likes

Forecast looks positive.

I’m sure we had a season like this early 90s.

I remember the VTCA went to all 50-over one-dayers after Christmas… 1.30-7pm

All games called off for the weekend here.

Sounds like some of our lower grades got away today as they are mainly hard wicket but not sure if any turf decks got up. The executives had a meeting last night in which I voiced my opinion and it was unanimously decided to scrap the 3 weeks of finals and go back to a 2 week finals series aswell as to fixture in a couple of Saturday/Sunday games in the top grade to try and still fit in as close to a full season as possible

The Mercantile Cricket Association dances to the best of its down drum. We are due to play tomorrow, a T20 game at 11AM. Only one of 2 matches to take place across ALL grades, Saturday and Sunday, in the competition. Same ground as last week, different opponent.

UPDATE: Just got called off.

The FTGCA have scrapped today and next Saturday and are going to reset as all one dayers starting 12th Nov.

Wow, big call to put a line through next weekend a week out. Mind you looking at the 7-day forecast another washout is looking likely…

It was a start of a two day game today. And in terms of game weeks I think it lines up to start it the week after with all one dayers.

The MCA have decided in order to get an extra game into the season proper that they will revert to a 2 weeks finals format, straight elimination semis (1 v 4, 2 v 3) and winners advance to GF. Previously was the 3 week format with top 2 getting double chance and a prelim final before the GF.