Local Cricket Thread 2013/14

Got pantsed by undefeated Whitfords yesterday in a 40-over game. Have to say we played on the worst wicket I've ever seen, not helped by the fact that Under 12s had scuffed it up all morning. It was falling to pieces by the time we got on it. We won the toss and batted under the rationale that it would only get worse as the day progressed. We were all-out 97, I got just 5, bowled by a short of a length ball that didn't get above shin height. We only batted 10 as our curator who usually plays in our side was busy renovating the wicket of out 1st Grade ground. He was told to be at our game by 2, enough time to clean up and get his gear, but as the wickets fell he was still a no-show. One of the boys knew where he lived and dropped into his house down the road, doors wide open and found him on the couch... how do I put this... having a "self love" session whilst watching a "Paul Bongiorno"!!!
Anyway he made it back to open the bowling and we had them 4/30-odd, but this guy came out swinging, took 16 and 22 off consecutive overs and they passed us without further loss. Unfortunately we have another game on that ground next week, can only hope the pitch is better than what we had yesterday...

was he hoping for his missus to rock and join in? christ. Lock the ■■■■■■ doors

Got pantsed by undefeated Whitfords yesterday in a 40-over game. Have to say we played on the worst wicket I've ever seen, not helped by the fact that Under 12s had scuffed it up all morning. It was falling to pieces by the time we got on it. We won the toss and batted under the rationale that it would only get worse as the day progressed. We were all-out 97, I got just 5, bowled by a short of a length ball that didn't get above shin height. We only batted 10 as our curator who usually plays in our side was busy renovating the wicket of out 1st Grade ground. He was told to be at our game by 2, enough time to clean up and get his gear, but as the wickets fell he was still a no-show. One of the boys knew where he lived and dropped into his house down the road, doors wide open and found him on the couch... how do I put this... having a "self love" session whilst watching a "Paul Bongiorno"!!!
Anyway he made it back to open the bowling and we had them 4/30-odd, but this guy came out swinging, took 16 and 22 off consecutive overs and they passed us without further loss. Unfortunately we have another game on that ground next week, can only hope the pitch is better than what we had yesterday...

He racked up a pretty hefty fine for yesterday, $1 for every 5 minutes he was late (40 mins = $8) plus the reason for being late...

He racked up a pretty hefty fine for yesterday, $1 for every 5 minutes he was late (40 mins = $8) plus the reason for being late...

lol...fines, one thing i don't miss from playing 2 day cricket.....get fined for saying nothing, get fined for opening your mouth. Used to pay our A grade scorer.....then fine the hell out of him.....(we saved it all and gave it to him at the end of the year)

You shouldn't have told him to clean out his gear

Have now filled in for 4 vets games, 1 last season, 3 this season. Tally stands at one fifth ball duck ( I walked after being given not out - batting team supplies ump) , three compulsory retirements (40,42,43) , one bad hamstring (last year) and one very unwell calf muscle (yesterday). Really good fun, but I’m feeling physically very fragile, lol. Which is some concern as a self employed tradie. Paperwork day today…

Sal, 

i know the feeling. I couldn't move yesterday and i am still struggling today. Glutes, thighs, shoulders, calves, back all stiff and sore. 

I won the toss and elected to bat. 1 for 0 quickly became 2 for 62 and we finished 3 for 224 after our 40 overs. I got 111 of 109 and another lad finished with 67 not out. They had a really good batting line up, that saw them race to 2 for 139, before a mini collapse left them 7 for 149. 3 out of the first 4 wickets that we took were horrendous. 2 were leg side full tosses that they managed to hit straight to square leg and the 3rd was a rank long hop, that was sliced to cover. It was hideous. After that, we just ran through them. A run out, one guy was on a hat-trick twice....he finished with 5fa. We restricted them to 8 for 180 off their 40. Still undefeated at the top of the table.

Played Norths this week, bowled us out on a very good batting deck for 121. To many blokes getting a head of themselves, play across the line to early in their innings. they betted for 6 overs and are 14 for no loss, before the rains came and hopefully it rains even harder this week.

filled in for my old club Exeter a couple of weekends ago. was trying to get out so I could put my feet up when suddenly the missus turned up with my recently gone cricket potty 3 year old in tow. knuckled down and played a reasonable little knock until caught going the heave ho in the latter stages.

bowled a couple of overs later on before thankfully they left. I didn't want for him to see the sticky tape bought out for the old man at such a tender stage of life.

we got up anyway and im still crippled.

Two half-centuries in 3 digs and I'm back in the magoos, but we are bot playing today!! We were due to play Swan Valley away (was champing at the bit given it's just about the best batting track in the comp, quick outfield, sensational arvo teas and Emu Export on tap) but there were isolated showers in the Perth area and out 1st Grade ground got washed out, so 1s are now playing at Swan Valley and we have a one-dayer at Rosalie Park next week. Given we have clear blue skies this morning, it is hard to fathom...

This is my 3rd game of the year, been missing with weddings & such all year so far.

Playing some weird, annoying split innings format in the doldrums.

We bowled first*, had the (un-defeated, not-been-bowled-out-yet) top side. Took a couple early, then they shut up shop after we got one of their good bats out pretty cheaply off a pretty sharp catch pumelled to square leg. Had 7 overs myself, 1 tough-ish dropped keeper chance, inside edge so he threw himself down leg then went back out off the pad - 0/10 or so, good to get a bit of an extended bowl & knock off a bit of rust.

3/90 after the first 32 over session, not too bad a result.

Then we had a bat after tea, lost 1 very early, then a couple of OK partnerships, ended up on a relatively uneventful 4/100 after our 32, roughly even half-way through - pretty happy about, against a relatively handy side.

So we resume yesterday on 4/100, couple of avoidable stupid wickets early, then a couple of unfortunately unavoidable stupid wickets. I headed in at 9 about 7/150 after a mini-collapse, 20 overs left if we got there. Again just (selfishly) took it as an opportunity to spend some time in the middle early in (my) season. They had reasonably consistent bowling we had to work through, one kid left arm medium who'll end up being pretty handy, bowling a pretty good line coming back into the right handers. another kid getting good away shape but a bit wayward, one kid bowling a good shape but a bit short, and one of their crafty old blokes nipping it around. The ground was pinging around, good value for shots. Had a good partnership of 20 or 30 with the number 8 before he went out, had to try and keep our #10, who's a classic old lower-grade tail-end tonker to playing along the ground, which we did pretty comfortably for a while before he got a good yorker, leaving me & the #11, who's a pretty clear-cut #11 but does have the advantage of batting the wrong way around.

By that stage I was feeling pretty comfortable, so it became a game of farming strike a bit & letting him getting his eye in, pushing singles around when & where we could. Which we managed to do pretty successfully, keeping them in the field, not giving them any chances & making them work. Sure enough their heads started to drop a bit, made more & more fielding errors and got a few more runs than we should have. Really let the arms free with about 4-5 overs left, let my partner know there was no harm in having a crack, he managed to hit a couple as well, and we ended up taking 15 or so off their last two overs, and held onto our wickets for a #10 partnership of 63 and a total of 9/248. Ended up on 65 not out myself, he was on a pretty handy 15

Which then left us to hold them to under about 155 off their 32. Took a while to get the first, but that became two as both the not-out batsmen overnight went within about 2 overs, to a good diving keeper catch and a pretty unexpected runout from one of our older blokes. They fought back a bit, a good partnership of 40 or so where their other good bat took to my bowling a bit, but I got him out to a clever plan (OK...may not be true) holing out at deep square.Then another good partnership, another two wickets in quick succession, then one of their kids came in & absolutely heaved a couple to all points, pushing them along to about 210 with 5-6 overs left and a few nerves on our part. At which point we hd him run out, two steps and a bat in the air from his crease, unbelievably given (well, maybe not) not out. Two balls later, I had him slicing one straight up in the air to about 4 steps off the pitch, keeper made good position, and somehow dropped it. Got him a ball or two later, clean bowled which took the wind out of them, and we rolled them about 20 short for a pretty tense, very enjoyable win.

Lost our last two games in the last over and the one before that by 8 runs. Cricket stinks.

We demolished the Valley at home. One dayer after being rained out the precious week, lost the toss and bowled first on a flat deck, got them all out 124 and passed them one down, I got 77*. Last game before Xmas so was happy to get a good score after being promoted. Hopefully it keeps me my spot although I also miss the first one after Xmas due to coming home for holidays. 2s are sitting top of the table so finals and a chance at a flag would be great!

Lost our last two games in the last over and the one before that by 8 runs. Cricket stinks.

It could be worse. You could be Alastair Cook, or an English tailender facing Johnson. 

Started back playing this year as my 13yo son is now playing seniors ( just F Grade).

only batted once for a "Torn hamstring" affected 35. But batted with the young bloke and we put on 40 odd... Also kept to his bowling and got a catch and a stumping. he has 7 wickets @ 12.7 in 3 games

Now get to sit on the sidelines until after Xmas.

Started back playing this year as my 13yo son is now playing seniors ( just F Grade).

only batted once for a "Torn hamstring" affected 35. But batted with the young bloke and we put on 40 odd... Also kept to his bowling and got a catch and a stumping. he has 7 wickets @ 12.7 in 3 games

Now get to sit on the sidelines until after Xmas.

Sounds like fun. Shame about the hammie.

Played a vets game yesterday. Held the opposition to 140, which was about par. Could have been a few less, we had a mixed day in the field (including two stuff ups by me). But with a couple of key players unavailable, I’d have taken that. We started well, I cracked a pretty rapid 40 ( compulsory retired) batting at three to put us well ahead of the curve. But the middle and lower order stalled badly. Really badly. Really really badly, lol. We took just 34 runs from the final 13 overs to finish 6 down (effectively 7 down) for 120 !! The two lads who missed would have added the needed hitting power down the order, but it wasn’t to be. disappointing, and costly, as it was against a team on the same points and we now probably need to win both games after Christmas to make the final four. I’ve learnt so far that player availability is Everything in this comp. The dynamics of a team can shift more dramatically on couple of players than in traditional grade cricket.

Had a trundle, against the top side - playing 4ths grade against a freaking 2nds side, but from a pretty poxy club.

We started OK, 1/40 or so just before drinks, then fell over, dug out again from 5 for not much (60? ish) to get to 6/105, then 7/170, then our little bloke who'd made all the runs went out on 47, and we couldn't get started again & posted 191 all out off about 63 (65 over comp)

Not far off competitive, and a fair reflection from an innings which swung both ways at times, but I think they'll make it.

210 or 220, which was looking likely at times, would've been good to bowl at.

We were right on top early.

Really good opening spell got the early breakthrough.

Then they hit a 4 and a 6 off the 2nd & 3rd balls of the innings and that was about the end of that.

We were right on top early.
Really good opening spell got the early breakthrough.
Then they hit a 4 and a 6 off the 2nd & 3rd balls of the innings and that was about the end of that.

Had a school game last year where we posted about 175 in 35 overs batting first, decent total, but the second their opener hit our number one quick straight down the ground for six off each of the first three balls of their innings we knew we were in strife. 

Yeah we were playing a 2nds side (of a pretty cruddy club), our 4ths.

Our 2s used to pound them, but their 1s got relegated & they dropped from Shield 2 to D grade (!).