Local Cricket Thread 2013/14

Smooth were you ex Chirnside Park?

we are still undefeated after 10 rounds. We made 248 today..(i'm at work...my week off cricket)..we rolled them for 21. One guy took 7 for 4. 

…are you even enjoying that?

our only enjoyment at the moment is winning the toss, means we get to bat the full 40 overs. We have been lucky this year. A couple of A graders have retired from 2 day cricket, a couple have made comebacks, but only to 1 day cricket due to younger families and work. There are a couple of teams that have pushed us. One team batted there full 40 overs for 134, we got the runs 2 down, but there bowling was pretty good. We had a good side that week, 3 out of our top 4 were A graders and one ex district A grader. (It was that clubs 2nd side and our 5th)

Yeah. First couple of years of juniors I was in similar sides, and a couple of clubs had similar sides of ex-1s players still at a decent playing age. They'd go through undefeated every year but wouldn't play any juniors; we'd have 2-3 juniors drop off every year.

Don't really get what's in it for them, ex-decent level cricketers demolishing 14-15 y.o sons of guys they used to play against.

that would suck. being an old scholars club, we don't have any juniors. We don't play any "juniors" often. We did play a side that was so depleted their skipper had to get his son and 3 of his mates to play. They were only 14. Needless to say we won, but we tried to make it fun for them. I bowled our spinners, the keeper "fluffed" a few stumping chances, we dropped catches etc. The kids made some runs and their parents were grateful that we did that. 

Lost our third vets game in a row. Season on knife edge. Tbh, we aren’t quite good enough against the top 4. My decent form continued though, top scored, dismissed for 39 trying to reach at least 43 retired, lol.

that would suck. being an old scholars club, we don't have any juniors. We don't play any "juniors" often. We did play a side that was so depleted their skipper had to get his son and 3 of his mates to play. They were only 14. Needless to say we won, but we tried to make it fun for them. I bowled our spinners, the keeper "fluffed" a few stumping chances, we dropped catches etc. The kids made some runs and their parents were grateful that we did that.

I reckon thats great. If I return to grade cricket when my son is a bit older, my main aim will be helping the kids of all sides develop. Cricket can be a tough game and too many youngsters choose other paths now.

Played in a huge win today. We made 4/352 off our 40 overs and rolled them for 160. We had a very very handy team with a number of former district 1st XI players in our team.

Standout performance was from a guy who had played for 3 years. He was a lower order batsmen, sometimes as low as no 11, promoted to open the batting. He made 147 and then took 4/16 with the ball. His amazing all round performance was capped off by taking the final catch. To think another guy scored 60 off 29 balls and took 4 wickets yet wasn't the stand out performer on the day. 

Smooth were you ex Chirnside Park?

No but close, Lilydale. I'm moving back to Melbourne so will be on the lookout for a new club next season. Depends where I end up living, if I go back to where I grew up I'll more than likely head back to the Dales, if not wouldn't mind getting on turf...

third fill in game this weekend. everybody's hopeless. the 11 in batting order is;

1. captain, got 6 for two years ago wicketless since. has nice gf. 

2. bloke who didn't turn up last week cause in jail.

3. me, asthmatic fill in who knows 40 is coming (not runs)

4. 14 yo kid with awesome technique but cant get it off the square

5. complete know all who sets retarded fields for himself completely ignoring fielding restrictions.

6. happy guy who doesn't say much that would be happy if he got 1 or 100 (doesn't get 100s)

7. enthusiastic boxer who does it for fitness and only one that gets in line. this means hes always lbw for fark all.

8. opening bowler who lives for cricket and has a suspicion he might be Glenn McGrath. similar batting effectiveness.

9. other opening bowler who always does just enough when fielding to look like he'll stop it but will somehow just miss it if its going too fast

10. guy from milk bar who found out I played cricket and came down. batted in make up last week cause he went to goth party night before. bowls leggies.

11. 8's little brother. also suspects big bro might be Glenn McGrath.

bush cricket is the melting pot!

oh, and 2 sells pot.

sounds not dissimilar to lower grade park cricket…

1. Old bloke who was apparently handy in his teens and twenties, switched to umpiring in his thirties & forties then when his eyes went he retired from that and he’s back here. Has one shot, dab cut to gully. and he keeps.
  2. My best mate and gawd I love him but has one shot. Foot down the wicket, full blooded straight drive over mid-on/off; or after about 4 overs straight down their throat.
  3. Chunky left arm spinner, clean hitter, correct technique, easily the slowest bloke across the ground in the side and that includes two blokes wrong side of 50. Favours the continental method (Marcel frigging Marceau) of calls between the wickets.
  4. Talented 15 year old keeper with every shot in the book, and likes to prove it within 4 overs. His older brother’s just cracked 1s and he’s probably better at the same age, so there’s hope yet
  5. the other other keeper, 16, hits a good shot.

I am not sure if he is mute and I’m a bit afraid to ask.
  6. Wendell Borton from the Simpsons, and he’s lost a bit of weight. Suddenly 6’1" this year and suddenly decided he can bowl offies, both of which were pretty surprising.

7 is me. I’ve been playing cricket 13 years and soon I’ll have an attacking shot.
  7. Bats, bowls, and also keeps (helpfully as we’re short of options) like an absolute star. Unfortunately for about an over of each before he starts getting ideas. Trademark is the lofted pull shot when we’re 6/85.
  8. Is, just for a bit of variety, another keeper. Athletic and bats pretty well but he dropped two catches off me so he’ll enjoy a spell at fine leg to fine leg.
  9. Old warhorse, moushtacka like a star & bowls donkey drops. Thousands of career wickets and hundreds of kiloes. Bishan Bedi lookalike.
  10. Somehow manages to bowl seam up mediums with an odd twisty action. Either 5/40 or 0/85, and what you’d call a “safe” #11 in that there’s no danger he’ll move up the order, at any point ever.

Yep...sounds like my old team, except for the keeping bit. We had one...at a pinch.

I thought guys take up umpiring when their eyesight and hearing goes. I'm planning on going back to it.

We had all these guys who fancied themselves as bowlers because they're good net bowlers. Good net bowlers, by definition, are those that can land it on the pitch and in the same postcode as the stumps pretty regularly. They're also fairly unlikely to ever take a wicket in the real game. Reserved for second innings that don't matter.

And we had the odd Cinderella...who runs away from the ball...only available when they're not driving taxis or working at servos.

And the guy who make 150 in an hour when we're under no pressure, but if we're 5-70 chasing 140, we're likely to be 6-76 two balls later. But that's the way he plays...biggest cop-out in sporting history.

Should add that that batting order is basically random, anyone from 1-9 is pretty much equally unlikely to make runs, only some of us are slower.

Got back into local cricket this summer after 3-4 years out. Started slowly with 97 from my first 7 innings @ 19 but starting to come back into form. Bought a nice new Puma bat and went back to the familiar opener's spot and the last 6 innings read 208 @ 41. Let a century go begging on the weekend falling 19 short on a bit of a road.

People played last weekend?

We were called off for the heat, on the Friday night. Not sure any of the other local comps went on.

Was great up here in Qld...

Was great up here in Qld...

QUEENSLANDAH

Yeah we played on Saturday, wasn’t that bad, I’ve played on days that felt hotter. Naturally we lost the toss and fielded too.

Did the hamstring with three overs to go so that’s pretty much my season done.

2 weeks in a row with no play due to heat, this week is looking like a wash out......but, still top, undefeated...so meh...enjoying my weekends actually lol