Local Cricket Thread 2018/19

Looks like it is compulsory. That’s me done as well

Doesn’t affect me, I’ve always worn a lid except for one time it was stinking hot, was about 70* and spin from both ends. Got the cap out and proceeded to top edge a sweep into my chin. Still have the scar! But there’s a few guys at my club who have always batted in a cap, and this ruling might be enough for them to retire too, which is unfortunate. Once you get to open age cricket it should be your choice when you bat, maybe not when you field close to the bat…

1 Like

Assume this has something to do with Cricket Australia sourcing insurance for all players through JLT. Shouldn’t there be an option to sign a waiver or source your own insurance should you wish to not use a helmet. Surely a workaround is needed to ensure players aren’t lost from the game. Bureaucracy gone mad.

1 Like

My team’s captain in my first year of seniors about 10 years ago got a pull shot to the cheek fielding at short leg without a helmet. Hirdy-esque facial injuries IIRC. And to make things worse, because he went straight to hospital and spent the night there, his car got robbed in the club car park that night.

I had a meeting with someone from Masuri re some business stuff that I am doing in the cricket space. We spoke about these new rules and he mentioned that they ran some trials in a number of different leagues where helmets were mandatory. Despite a number of players indicating that they would not play, they saw no drop off in playing numbers.

I don’t think it will have the negative impact that some think it will (then again I wear a helmet and have no issues with the rule).

1 Like

Just on cricket 2019/20 - If your club is looking to recruit an overseas player, feel free to check out www.cricketerexchange.com. I started the site about 7 years ago. It now has over 3k players looking for clubs from around the world and is free to use. We get rough 8k visitors to the site so its a good way to promote your club.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

That’s what I would expect!
I’ve never worn a helmet but I’m not walking away from a game I love just because it becomes compulsory to wear one…