Local Cricket Thread 2018/19

It doesn’t get any easier. 36 in a couple of weeks. Fine fielding in the gully but anywhere else I feel like a fish out of water. Got moved to cover and got peppered, then mid-wicket and had a lot of ground to cover. Very sore today!

Yep, I’m 44 but feel 74 at times. I had a strange feeling that something might happen yesterday as I had been up since 3am to go to work and finished at 11:30 which meant a mad dash to the ground and only arrived 10 minutes before the start of play so no decent warm up. To top it off whilst fielding in the covers I copped a ball in the mouth after a wicked deflection from a sprinkler hole and now sport a fat lip. We had a club function last night and I had bar duty so with my fat lip and iced up calf I managed to soldier on until 11pm.

2 Likes

Haha, ever get that feeling it’s just not your day?

I’ll get through this season but to be honest I’m done with 1st XI cricket. It’s probably half a grade too much for my ability anyway, plus the fact I feel like a liability more and more in the field (although not as bad as some others who are younger than me), it’s starting to become a bit of a drag. I average in the 40s playing 2s, much rather drop down a grade and score far more runs than I have at the minute and help some of the kids we have coming through…

Firsts made over 400 with the runs shared. Greenvale faced 6 overs before stumps last night and are already 4/17!

Seconds played Tullamarine. Tulla batted first and made 7/194 from 35 overs.

We made 7/154 off our overs.

The dangers of umpiring the home town team. Had the appointment changed midweek because fourth (Port Fairy) playing fifth (Woodford) had no umpire. Saved me the hour-each-way drive to Nirranda (near Port Campbell).

Port batted first (with 3 of their better footballers playing) and made 6/209 with the town butcher, the footy coach and one of the publicans making 50’s.

Woodford were then 4/14 with their best bats out. One of the footballers bowled a couple of beamers so got the sack. Another bowled a beamer first ball…all seemingly unintentional. They struggled along to 9/129.

Yesterday i fronted up at my usual coffee shop to get assailed by one of the waitresses telling me I’d sent off her boyfriend (only from bowling). Naturally i asked her if she’d spat in my coffee…all good!

I don’t expect to be there again next week. A pity because their arvo teas are sensational. Great party sausage rolls from the butcher shop.

2 Likes

What was the candlestick maker up to?

Does the Bakery provide top quality steaks?

Good butcher shop. Yes, they do.

Getting on my wick.

2 day side had an outright win over Greenvale.

1 day side won over St. Albans by 9 wickets.

Possibly the heaviest defeat I’ve been involved in. Bowled out for 88 chasing 400 on a belter of a pitch. I got yet another start and threw it away, out for 13, skied a pull shot and was caught and bowled. Annoying because I’d played a couple of nice pull shots to the boundary off that bowler so had it in my mind that I’d go after him if he dropped short. Last game before finals next week. We can’t finish any lower than 3rd but a win guarantees us a home semi final so there’s a bit on the line.

We played Gellibrand today, 2nd v 3rd, winner finishes 2nd and gets the home semi final. We won the toss and batted on a good pitch. Change to the batting order, I was demoted to #7. Came in just before tea with spin at both ends and the score at 5/80. Batted 15 overs and made just 9, hit a full toss of a leg spinner straight to mid-wicket. Another frustrating innings to add to the collection this year! We ended up getting bowled out in the final over for 194.

A controversial moment happened today when one of our batsmen was given out Obstructing the Field whilst running between the wickets. Whilst coming back for a 2nd a throw at the stumps hit the bat as he was sliding into the crease and then deflected onto the stumps, batsman well within his ground, in fact he was nearly level with the stumps by the time the wicket was broken. Appeal, umpire takes about 5 seconds to raise the finger. He has adjudged that our batsman deliberately got in the way of the ball. It took us a few minutes to realise he wasn’t run out but out Obstructing the Field.

Unable to play due to injury but free grog today for Ladies and Life members day.
Was great watching our A grade smash the opposition and have a few drinks with some guys who I haven’t seen in years. A couple of guys even made the trek from interstate.
All 3 senior sides and 4 or our junior sides got up so was a good day

We had a shocker. It was 4th v 5th. We made 215 last week. I was batting well until I missed one and got bowled. Probably the worst shot to the worst ball I have ever played.
Today we just weren’t near it. Fielded terribly, bowled way too short. They passed us 5 down with about 10 overs left.
I think we still may be 4th but we are purely making up the numbers if we make it with one game to go.

That sounds wrong, not controversial.
(Of course that’s without knowing where the batsman ran, if he deviated massively off his line or swung his bat to do it, it may be correct)

The rule says if the batsman “wilfully” obstructs the path between ball and the stumps, and certainly it wasn’t intentional. The ball was played behind square on the legside, and the batsman was coming back for the 2nd at the bowler’s end, so had his back to the ball. Had he looked over his shoulder and then decided to deviate then I get it, but that wasn’t the case at all. Plus he was well and truly in his ground. At the time we were 2/70 after losing early wickets and that partnership was going well, so it did have an effect on momentum in the game…

The law FWIW…

1 dayers have lost the semi-final by 74 runs.

However there might be some issues with the winners playing blokes who haven’t qualified. Who knows where this is going to end up

In the other 1 day semi final, there is a dispute also.

We know that Tullamarine and Avondale Heights will host next week’s Preliminary Finals.

But, the NWMCA will have to determine the results of the Gowanbrae v St. Albans and Oak Park v Shakti Lions semi-finals.

Meanwhile Oak Park’s 2 day side are taking on the top side Darebin Chargers at Lalor. At the close of play yesterday, the home side had piled on 590 from 70 overs. A staggering run rate of well over 8 in 70 overs.