Local Cricket Thread 2018/19

Donnybrook bowled out for 192.

At stumps we are 3/39.

First loss of the season yesterday. Won the toss and batted, I failed to trouble the scorers, chopped one on. We recovered from 4/20 to post 171 in our 40, a pretty competitive total. However the opposition got off to the proverbial flyer, 0/55 after 5, and from there they did it without much trouble, passed us 3 down with about 12 overs to spare.

Noticed D Hussey pulled on the whites for Mooroolbark the other day.
Only made 20 but took 3/22

1 Like

I played in the 2nds in a one day game. We batted first and got 164. Should have been more. We were 1/80 at the halfway point. I got 20. Batted well until I chopped one on.
We started off really well with the ball. We had them 7/80. It fell apart after that. We bowled terribly and let them back in. They passed us with 3 overs to go and were 8 down.

Both teams lost by similar margins…around the 30 run mark.

Personally had my first bat for season at #9. Improved my highest ever score from 2 to 4 with a top edged boundary to 3rd man. Then I got run out - slightly embarrassed that I have the turning circle of the Queen Mary.

We had a great, backs to the wall win against Jacana at home yesterday to shore up our position at the top of the table. Won the toss and batted. I only got six (should have been 8 but the umpire missed a leg glance that I got 2 off, adjudged it as leg byes), given out lbw despite the ball pitching about 6 inches outside leg stump. Our first 3 wickets were leg before, all stinking decisions. We managed to scrape 161 off our 40, about 30-40 short on a quick ground. They started quite briskly with bat in hand and probably only needed about 3 an over for most of it until we put the screws on. I thought our only chance to win was to bowl them out but we put the squeeze on once they lost their best bat. They needed 7 off the last over and managed just 3, meaning we got gome by 3 runs.

Good @thegradecricketer stuff right here!!

1 Like

All batsmen know when they’ve been dudded of runs don’t they?

1 Like

I finally got a local game. Port Fairy vs Koroit.

Big ground in great nick, but a cow paddock compared to the turf ground next door.

Koroit only had 8 players, and apparently the tail started at 4, not that they got to show it. Lost one on the last ball of the 2nd, then the last ball of the 40th, when the opener got bowled for 102. ■■■■■■■ nearly pinged me a couple of times with straight drives.

Port had a 15 or 16 year old girl playing. She bowled quite well, and fielded enthusiastically. They only have u/14 and u/17 girls’ teams.

With 6 in the field, plus bowler and keeper,
dropping to 5 when the opening bowler left for work, Port got there with 6 overs to spare and only 2 down. Pretty clear that the footballers have the skills, as the No 1 ruckman took 1/9 off his 8 and unbeaten on 37.

Two more home games in Port before the 2 grounds get taken over for the Folk Festival, but 5 more one-dayers.

How are you playing cricket? People on here talk like you’re about 120 years old.

Umpiring.

Ahh right… that makes sense. Old and probably blind. Perfect fit

1 Like

Not to mention grumpy and no mates

Hi @Alan_Noonan_10 hi!

You forgot deaf!

1 Like

Do you leave the Zimmer frame at the gate or take it with you out to the middle?

Needed it greased up. One batsmen nearly got me twice - once head-high, one at the ankles - and then when he was bowling dropped a c&b that then flew straight at my scone. Dodged all three.

1 Like

Long day in the field today, we are chasing 400 next week. The SL import for the opposition tonned up before the first drinks break. Just kept hitting good length balls over mid wicket for 6. It was absolutely insane, made even worse by the fact he was dropped twice (one tough and the other a well struck but fairly straightforward chance) before he’d reached 25. At least it was a coolish day, if it was a scorcher I don’t know how we’d have coped, probably would be staring at 500+…

Ouch. That is a long day.

I wasn’t playing as I was away last weekend but the side I usually play in got washed out today. We were chasing 330 so we were more than happy to take the draw.

2 Likes

Filled in for our LO side and pinged a calf fielding in the 24th over.
Rolled the top team for 120 and then struggled at 5/40 before passing them 8 down with a couple overs to go. I had the pads on but was seriously hoping it didn’t come to that as I could barely stand

Old man injury!!

2 Likes