Local Cricket Thread 2019/20

Warrnambool off. I think the lower placed finalists won both semis, so third would be premiers.

Nope…top and third won, so top team are premiers. Got beaten by 9 runs last year.

VTCA now called off.

Apparently Steve McNamara (VTCA President) got absolutely roasted on SEN this morning. I dare say he got it from both barrels from CA and CV, as @Aceman mentioned the threat of having funding pulled, etc, hence their about face. It’s the only decision that could’ve been made, however CA/CV should have been more explicit, rather than issuing a “strong recommendation”…

2 Likes

Cricket presentation cancelled… hope they can scrub my batting average from this season from the records.

1 Like

Mercantile still looking to play their Grand Finals tomorrow:

Found out last night due to our GF being cancelled, we were awarded premiers as the highest ranked team. A slightly anti-climactic way to win back-to-back flags, but I’ll take it. Reward for being by far the best side all season.

2 Likes

Aaaaand day 2 is called off.
3 peat for the Zebs.

Still feels… nothing.

From having dealt with the MCA in the past this decision doesn’t surprise me one bit. They would play cricket in snow under gunfire if they could.

Nearly time again.

I’ve just gone out and bought a GN Atomic 1200 long blade … apart from sounding like a sex toy, I am keen to give it a jolly good hammering this summer.

Having a hit is part of my plan to get the young bloke away from the video games. My club Exeter recently redeveloped it’s ground - it was originally a bike track which made it this really cool postage stamp type ground where I’ve seen a few 200s made. They’ve ripped up the track so it’s a bit bigger but it’s such a quaint ground and club.

But I forgot how exciting it was to get a new stick, oil it, knock it in slowly… actually it may as well be a sex toy.

1 Like

Warrnambool District due to start 31 October.

Few little changes…no celebrations involving high fives etc. Umpire doesn’t hold bowler’s gear - that’s placed in a circle behind the bowler (not subject to the 5-run penalty), but helmets placed behind the keeper (are subject to penalty).

Nice one mate!! Not sure if you’ve got a scuff sheet/extratec over the face or gone for a natural face and will just oil it, but I would put that extratec facing over the face of the bat. Helps stop surface cracks and holds the moisture into the blade. All you really have to oil is the back of the blade. I’ve had my bats for 4 seasons and they’re still going nicely.

For those of us in Melbourne, it’s a bit of a waiting game to see when we can start pre-season training and when we will return to play. Obviously COVID has had a massive impact. I know from the VTCA that they are targeting a start date of 14/11, which obviously is based upon us getting down to Stage 2 restrictions at the earliest opportunity so that non-contact community sport can re-commence. What I’m hearing is that they are wanting to squeeze the same amount of cricket into 5 less weeks. If so there’s going to be a lot of Sunday cricket. As much as I’m looking forward to getting back out on the field again, I’m not sure how much I, and fellow cricketers, will want to play on Sundays on a more regular basis. I haven’t seen my family since the middle of June, and I certainly won’t be knocking back a family BBQ on a Sunday to see my loved ones again for the sake of playing a Sunday game. I’ve also heard there could be the potential on playing Tuesday Night 40-over games split across 2 Tuesdays. Not sure the VTCA realise most of us work…

1 Like

I have always put Extratec on my bats. I totally recommend it.

I think 14/11 is very optimistic especially if you play on turf. It doesn’t give much time to get wickets ready. Thats less than 3 weeks after these current restrictions are “due” to be eased. It wouldn’t suprise me if there is no cricket until 2021 and a one day comp is played. There should be no Sunday cricket. As you have said peopl haven’t been able to see family and friends for months so there is no way that will work and it will drive people away from the game.
Like local footy, having social faciities being able to be open plays a massive part in the season being able to be played. Clubs need to be able to survive and you would assume sponsorship dollars will be down this year.

1 Like

Agree 100%. My club is down about $8K in sponsorship, so it’s left a significant hole for us to try and fill. We aren’t a big club either so it has even more of an impact, and it will be a difficult time to try and get new sponsorship in the door.

The VTCA seem to live in their own world. They seem hellbent on continuing to have the same number of days of cricket (20) despite having at best 5 less weeks available. I know for a fact that the RDCA have committed to a 14 days of cricket model (down from their usual 21) for this season. They have put it to clubs whether they’d prefer all 1-day games, 7 x 2-day games, or a mix of 1-day/2-day across those 14 days. They have been far more proactive in making a hard decision and engaging with their clubs. VTCA for whatever reason can’t seem to comprehend that we might just have to commit to a shorter schedule. As you say, getting started by 14/11 is very generous. I dare say we might get going at some point in December, if not then would have to start in the New Year.

Ouch, that hurts.
Our guys have been doing pre season for a bit over a month at indoor nets 2 nights per week but with this great weather they have snuck a couple of Sunday sessions in at our ground. Trial game scheduled for the last weekend in September and then first game the weekend after the long weekend. The association has copped plenty of sooking already and plenty are asking about having AFL grand final week off

Our local season is now set to start October 17.
My problem is I live just inside the metro bubble and my team is in the regional zone… so I can’t play.

That’s rough!! The VTCA have set a provisional season start date of the 21st November, obviously that’s dependant on us getting down to Stage 2 restrictions, which permits non-contact community sport to resume. It seems as if all games will be one-day matches, still some debating on whether that will be 40-over or 50-over games. If we are up and going by 21/11 that’s a great result.

Yeah it’s really disappointing.
There are about half the teams in the company in the metro lockdown and half out. I find it odd and a little unfair on the metro teams that they will start but only the regional teams will play the first few rounds

1 Like

Return to play guidelines released by CV over the weekend. No arvo tea.

I’m retiring.

3 Likes

Also, pay ya ■■■■■■■ subs. Now more than ever.

1 Like

Yeah, players will be responsible for their own food and drink on match days. Only positive to that is you only have to worry about yourself rather than catering for 2 teams! Not allowed to shine the ball on your pants, no sweat/salive on the ball, and I believe the ball will need to be cleaned every half an hour with sanitiser. Fielders will also have to clean their hands with sanitiser at regular intervals. There’s a whole heap of other stuff as well…

Better get the new rock then…