Local Cricket Thread 2019/20

It might not be a VCTA decision though. If someone who played over the weekend tests positive then Cricket Victoria will probably call it off.

The way it has moved in the last week worldwide who knows where we will be by the weekend.

i could imagine. had a guy over 50 play for my first country side but everybody allowed for his love of cricket and his cricket nous

50 is our average age. We have a 65 year old.

CA has advised all cricked to be scrapped so there goes our finals

The operative word is “advised”, that’s not a hard and fast cancelling of all cricket. The offical wording from CA is “strongly recommend”. It’s up to each cricket comp to decide what to do…

They will all tow the line and don’t want to be seen to be the comp that goes against the grain. Pretty much every league in SA has already pulled the pin

good one. glad to see the love of playing is still dtrong all the best

1 Like

VTCA will be one of the last to pull the pin. Mercantile is another that will try to push on.

1 Like

I’m hearing through our president that VTCA GFs are still likely to proceed.

Our comp has pulled the pin on the GF’s this weekend after confirming yesterday that they would be played.

If any comp continues to play on and a player contracts Corona then the league will be in a heap of trouble.

1 Like

Our comp still going ahead - only the 2nd day of the top grade left.

RDCA cancelled all games. WASTCA (Suburban turf comp I played in when I lived in Perth) have cancelled all finals.

What comp is that HAP?

I think Warrnambool will want to play. Woodford vs Brierley. Wouldn’t mind going to it but no can do. I had Woodford 2’s 3 times this year and Brierley twice. Brierley is up near the racecourse, Woodford north, on the Hopkins Hwy to Mortlake.

This from the VTCA.

Small huddles is an interesting one.

All our local comp has been canned. Semis were due this week and the GF next week.
Association has cancelled all presentation nights.
We had a meeting via phone conference calls this arvo and there was some resistance to it initially and some other plans were mentioned such as making both finals one sayers and playing Saturday and Sunday but the association and several clubs rely on CA funding via grants and these would be at risk if we went against CA’s recommendations.

1 Like

Yes. I wonder if that might get the VTCA in the end? Cricket Victoria sent out an email stating that “We expect local community cricket and school competitions to take the same leadership position and cancel all cricket playing and training activity for the remainder of the 2019/20 season”.

The absurd thing regarding the VTCA’s decision is that in the event that a first innings result can’t be reached that NO premiership would be awarded. Under normal circumstances, if it rained for the entire duration of the GF and it was a no result, the highest ranked side would be declared premiers, yet in a global pandemic and a completely unique situation there would be no premier!! They really are a “special” competition.

1 Like

GDCA finals cancelled, who ever was higher on the ladder wins the GF

1 Like

A sane decision! Absolutely correct.

1 Like