Local Cricket

Our lot look like turning the 4 or 5 2-dayers into one-dayers. They need 10 playing days in Div 1, and less in Div 2. I hope they don’t declare the fixture through to the finals, to allow for reserve days.

We’re more than likely to lose more days, probably starting next weekend. The grounds are sodden.

Our association are doing the same and reverting back to 2 weeks of finals

Just got notified that we’re off for this weekend.

As the Dunkeld races (in a fortnight) have been cancelled.

After Christmas, projected to be 100-over games, red ball, wearing whites, midday to 6.30. Games continue after a result to obtain bonus points. Division 1 only.

We got on today. For some reason our comp has made our grade a split innings game. We bowl 35 overs then bat 35 overs and the game continues next week.
We bowled first and kept them to 7/100 off 35 overs. I got a wicket with the worst ball of the day. As they say :poop: gets wickets.
In our 35 overs we ended up 1/145. I’m 35 not out and seeing them pretty well. They continue next week at 7/100 so hopefully we can knock them over quickly and either have an early day or go for an outright.

2 Likes

That’s a strange concept. Will be interested to hear how it goes over the course of the season.

We had that in our 5ths a few years back. I don’t really see the point.

I don’t get it either. Doesn’t make sense to me.

It was designed so youngsters and older players didn’t have to spend the whole day in the field.

1 Like

Certainly isn’t designed for someone too build an innings and get a big score!

A remember they did split innings 50 over games at state level about 15 years ago. Probably just before 20 over cricket became a thing. The timing may have coincided with the Victorian team playing in shorts.

1 Like

Played yesterday. Beaten soundly, chasing 270 (they scored 250 but we had 20 penalty runs added to the total for a slow over rate) we ended up 9/170 off our 45. I opened and got 30 before hitting a full toss off the spinner straight to mid-off. Very disappointed given it was a great batting deck and a reasonably quick outfield. Should’ve gone on and got a big score. But was great to be out there and it actually felt like cricket season!

2 Likes

We’re still having trouble with unfit grounds.

We need 14 tomorrow and 12 Sunday. I was originally scheduled to be at Mortlake, 72km away. Both of their grounds are unplayable, so they shifted it to their opponents, Koroit…only 17km.

But the Koroit Show is on tomorrow, on the hard wicket (the football ground), so that’s out.

Now we’re at Nirranda…on the way to Port Campbell…through Allansford and along the GOR. That’s only 63km.

And weather will be different all over the region. The last time I was at Nirranda, it was just under the heat-rule temperature of 39…although it felt 43 or 44. Nirranda is 55km from where the temperature is judged from. I was seeing spots and came off after 18 overs.

1 Like

Playing tomorrow, so at this stage the forecast isn’t looking great. Today’s games should be fine.

Got some photos of our ground sent to me today. Our U17’s played on it last night and then the storm came through in the morning

Drained remarkably well though as this was taken about 3hrs later after the game was called off

1 Like

We had a big win. With the 35 overs each week,they contend there innings at 7/100, we ended up getting them out for 134 so we had a lead of 10 runs already. Our plan was to bat for 20-25 overs and send them back in. We declared just after tea at 3/270. I made the most of a quick outfield and ended up 102*. It was my first hit since last season so I was pretty happy with how I saw them.
Going for the outright they shut up shop and we called an early stumps.

2 Likes

Game today at home. Start delayed to 12:30, 30 over game. Deck is bone dry but run-ups both ends very wet. This might be what stops us, or at least be delayed further…

Our ground a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Lost (9/119 chasing 170 in a 30 over game) and I made a golden duck, keeper claims a clear half-volley catch. I stand my ground and after about 30 secs of deliberation up goes the finger. I don’t usually lose my ■■■■ on a cricket field but I got perilously close. Why am I playing this game again? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

First game in 5? 6? years the other week

Bit of everything, a duck, a panicky dropped catch and a wicket.

Didn’t pull any muscles, which was a mild surprise.

1 Like

I’d send them in.

2 Likes

We were told at 10.25 that it was Report to Grounds, then at 11.15 that all today’s cricket was off. One umpire was halfway to Mortlake when he got the message, so, not happy, Jan.

I doubt we would have got started by 2 since rain stopped about 1.15 and you’d need to get started before 3 to get 25 overs a side in (minimum for a game). But just now, it’s started heavily again with accompanying thunder…so probably a good call.

Such a pity after the perfect weather this week. That’s now 2 games out of 8 Saturdays.