Local Footy 2020

Lancaster Wombats is a good one. I wonder if they shorten to ‘bats’ as well?

I played in the VAFA against Eltham and they are known as the Eltham TURTLES lol.

They beat us that day and I heard them singing the club song. It is to the Richmond tune and deadset, instead of saying ‘yellow and black’ they scream with gusto 'SHELLS ON OUR BACK".

5 Likes

HAHAHAHA!!! Oh We’re from Turtleland!! In Perth, Curtin-Vic Park CC are known as the Redbacks, and they sing “Oh we’re from Spiderland”. It’s so bad it’s good!

2 Likes

There are some good names out there. However there are some awful ones as well. I played a few years with the mighty Werrimul in the Millewa. Unfortunately we had to yell out ‘Carn Magpies’. Most embarrassing!

1 Like

There’s a few cricket clubs going around as the redbacks.

Super duper weird for a male sports team, given the sexual dimorphism of the species… the male redback is tiny, non descript and brown, carries his ■■■ around on his back looking for a big shiny lady to eat him.

Plus it’s the logo for the South Australian Shield team, and who’d want to be linked to that?

1 Like

League just cancelled the Super rules season in Vic.

It would seem that the SFL, WRFL, EDFL are the most notable Melb Metro leagues that will look to get going. A mate of mine is the SFL CEO and he’s aiming for a July 25th Round 1 date and a 10 game H&A season plus finals. There is talk that promotion/relegation might be off the table this season due to the shorter season. I know that the EDFL have had the temerity to demand clubs pay their full season affiliation fees despite the fact that they won’t play a full H&A season worth of games. I wonder how many clubs might decide not to participate given the costs required to play and a likely reduced or no income from bar sales/food sales and social functions depending on the crowds that might be permitted, or not permitted, to attend games?

Would send most clubs broke imo
My league (Outer East) won’t even try and pursue seniors if they can’t get 500 in the ground and have bars/canteens open.
Indoor restrictions also severely handicap raising money from bar sales/dinners after training, beers after the game and club functions and our major sponsor is a pub that handed over thousands to do a reno just before having to close for a couple of months so doubt we’ll see a cent from them.

4 Likes

VAFA are meeting next Monday. Can’t get an accurate call on it. Indications are players arew moving to the Ammos in anticipation however.

1 Like

Schoolboys footy is starting to get some traction in the media over here in the west. Without the WAFL there’s obviously capacity to look at other comps. Great to see, either way. Might even go along and have a look.

EDFL starting their senior footy on 1st August. 9 Round H&A season plus finals. Finish mid-October…

Ammos make sense as they’ve never relied on gate takings or bar sales, still wondering how EDFL clubs are gonna get the money to run a season.
9:games would be ~45000 for the season

2 Likes

Hampden League is off, and I think Warrnambool District is too.

Different footy code but we are still unsure what the Gippsland Soccer League is doing. We are back training and at worse we may have to run a cup style tournament with those clubs who could field a side.

2 Likes

A lot will depend on crowds being able to attend so they can at least get some bar/food revenue in the door. Players will be playing for free apparently, but there’s still association costs and insurance to factor in…

Gippsland? Weren’t you from out west somewhere?

Was. Moved out gippsland way bout 5 years back now.

Ah.
Whereabouts?

Drouin. Playing my Soccer at Drouin Dragons now.

1 Like

Drouin’s not as scummy as you think it’s going to be.

Close, but not quite.