Local Footy 2020

No NEAFL for 2020. From little bits and pieces I hear it was the AFL not wanting their players to participate. Many of the local clubs were keen.

Figure I’ve heard for EFL is $5-6K a week before any player payments.

1 Like

Lower Divisions are starting July 25. (Source is the Oak Park Football Club)

1 Like

Deer Park, the most successful team in the WRFL over the last 20 years, is pulling out. Suspect it’s money related.

2 Likes

Would be nice if Marsh (JLT) insurance could help clubs out by lowering insurance costs for the season. But when you have a monopoly position that is just wishful thinking.

1 Like

Even after EFL and NFL pulled the pin I thought ammos would get a season in.
After the announcements today I’m not so sure, unless community sport is given exemptions from social gathering restrictions.
10 til July 12.
We thinking 20 or 50 from July 13 to start of August unless cases continue to rise, then to 50 or 100 to begin with in August???
Would be starting to get really late in the year to get a season in.

Can also foresee juniors, netball, women’s footy and vets to only play 4-6 games or some sort of round robin as they all need 50+ adults to run a game.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s 100% money related. The WRFL agreed to have a $0 salary cap for 2020, and I really doubt most of the Deer Park guys are playing for free.

Leagues starting to drop like flies

33(?) now cancelled.
Only know of the following still in the running to kick off

• VAFA (most likely, though a few clubs have already pulled out)
  • AFL Outer East (have asked clubs to submit by Sunday whether they’ll field a side but still reckon they’ll struggle)
  • Southern (strong rumour that league HQ is in financial trouble and needs the clubs fees!)
  • Picola
  • Riddels
  • Mornington Peninsula
1 Like

Mornington starting depends on crowds of at least 500 being able to attend.

Edit, Mornington cancelled the season this morning

1 Like

Self interest aside in terms of wanting local footy canned so that cricket season won’t be affected (and the grounds will be in good nick for a change!) I actually wouldn’t mind going to watch a local game purely from the viewpoint of not being able to attend AFL matches yet here in Victoria. But the more you look at it the less feasible it is for clubs. Clearly there’s self interest from the comps as @Eastie_Boi1 said regarding getting club fees in to generate revenue.

1 Like

The MCU Eastlake Goannas that has been aligned to the Daniher clan for decades have their 1st game in July, they are on FB and Insta if you want a local club ( Riverina ) to follow. They have a rich history of success, not won a premiership since the mid 90s thou, but been there abouts most of the time. Looking the goods this year with lots of juniors coming home

No formal announcement form the Ammos until July 6. Be lucky to get on now.

Most of SA country leagues and Adelaide amateur leagues going ahead in the next few weeks. Only a few leagues have canned the season

Ring o’ ring o’ roses!

SFL Division 1 club Highett has decided not to play this season and fellow D1 club East Malvern likely to follow suit.

Apologies if already mentioned, but Ballarat league has now cancelled.

Outer East announced this morning they’ll be going ahead with a single division (Condensed from 3) commencing August 1.
As an OE player: wtf to that.

Interesting. If you had some Division 1 teams playing against Division 3/4 clubs that would make for some lopsided games…

We’re in the bottom division and would genuinely lose by 200 if we played a top premier side and they were at ~80% strength.

I’m also still of the opinion that the comp won’t finish this year (if it even gets off the ground).
Still don’t know if my club intends to field a senior side or not either.