Local Footy

I wish you all the best for your club. I usd to follow Illabarook at one stage , but you know their story, i’ll bet. Great Western is a good example of a struggling team who had a purple patch a couple of years’ ago and took out a flag. I follow Navarre and from a team who narrowly missed out on 5 premierships in a row, they are not the team they were. Good luck to you and your boys.

Take a look at some of Jacana’s scores this year. Percentage in single figures…

Reckon Jacana need a step back. I know they left a while ago but going back to the RDFL wouldn’t hurt them, Its helped Wallan.

Everyone else in the comp has a % of over 100 from rinsing Jacana

Unfortunately the mine closing at Stawell has hit Navarre. Always a great bunch of blokes after the game . And poor Illabrook nothing worse than watching your club fold

some of the small clubs in the EDFL are run attrociously, the sheer amount of middling nepotism is more impressive than big corporate. kids afraid of the ball are getting walk up starts to the age groups highest div team

Yeah , a mate played 200 games for them over many years at all levels and was later a volunteer and the son of one of our Blitzers here is a premiership player in the under 17’s from when they used to be in the Lexton Plains league and played at Illabarook and not Smythesdale . We could all see it coming. It`s a pity because the last coach they had was a great bloke who was full of enthusiasm . A new junior team started up in Haddon this year ,so that may be a kick start to eventually fielding a local club back in the Central highlands league. Chin up Tagger34. Hopefully things will pick up for Maryborough and you’ll have better days ahead. At the end of the day we are all just enjoying the footy ,no matter what team we follow. I have always said i prefer watching the country footy to the big league. The players aren’t on big bucks and have more heart and the umps are more lenient ,so the game flows a lot better than at the AFL level. Princes Park on Grand final day is always a day out for me.

1 Like

I see what you mean . I used to play under 13’s for Sunshine Juniors back in the early 80`s and we copped that every week. I don’t remember actually winning a game in my time there. It is heartbreaking getting beaten like that every week.

If they were a complete pack of ■■■■■ I’d feel sorry for them. My hate is cricket related mind you…

You know when you’re at the local footy when you’ve got a Jim Beam carton being used as a forearm splint haha

4 Likes

Give me a yell if you come over for the grand final this year would be great to have a beer with you

No worries Tagger34 . Will do.

5 Likes

That was hilarious, div 5 donkey league but hilarious nonetheless

iirc there’s about 4 games left of the H&A season for local footy.
Anyone think we’re in danger of not being able to play those games?
It’d be an interesting scenario heading into finals with no teams having played for ~month.

No crowds for at least another fortnight, and my comp only has 3 H&A games left.
Can’t see us playing this week and league likely to play shorter quarters given everyone won’t have played for nearly a month.
Reckon juniors will scrap finals in favour of playing all the regular season games so interesting to see what happens with seniors.

Lockleys, my old club.

Fair to say our drinking club had a football problem.

2 Likes

Based off this roadmap wouldn’t be surprised if the H&A season is done and dusted as struggle to see lockdown ending before the 23rd

1 Like

Covid is causing chaos in the local leagues.
Here is the latest update on starting dates in the country footy.
Has been stop / start all year.

http://www.countryfootyscores.com/from-the-papers/155-around-the-traps/25443-covid-lockdown-restart-all-league-plans-august-11th.html

Pretty sure today’s announcement means our 2s are done for the year but don’t think it has twigged for anyone else yet.

Hampden has had two Saturdays back. Enough time for Port Fairy to get smashed at home by the second bottom team.

They lost some significant players, three to Russells Creek led by Dan Nicholson who committed the worst crime in clubland - porking a teammate’s long-term girlfriend. But Kaine Mercovich headed to North Adelaide where he seems to be doing quite well…playing the last 7 or 8 games and regularly in the goalkickers. Nuggety small forward/midfielder.

They did gain Shane Savage and a two-time Warrnambool District b&f in Andy McMeel.

Looks like a Koroit North Warrnambool playoff though. Lots of cricketers from Woodford, Northern Raiders (Purnim) and Dennington at North.