London Bridge Attack

Oh right. I wasn’t aware they hadn’t identified everyone yet, . and I suppose I figured if she saw the accident, then any victims after that already would have been fairly easily, but,yeah,… Shitt.

Maybe he was working against ISIS and was trying to make them look stupid.

2 Likes

Either that or the eBay claymores didn’t arrive on time.

1 Like

Using that theory Malcom Turnbull and Bill Shorten are always right.

3 Likes

They just know the art of not actually saying anything while talking.

As an example, the sister of one of the victims made the following statement:

Tearfully reading a statement, she said: “This morning we received news from police that my brother’s bank card was found on one of the bodies from Saturday night’s brutal attack, but they are unable to formally identify him until the coroner’s report begins tomorrow.

In this case the police have given the family what information they have, and the family have come out and named him as one of the victims.

In another case, the first identified victim was identified by her fiance who was with her at the time.

I am guessing it must be less clear-cut for this girl. If her ID were in a bag it could easily have been dropped, lost or in some way separated from her.

I can understand and sympathise with the idea that it would be possible to identify her just by looking at her. At this point it becomes a moral question about at what should be told to families when it is not 100% certain. Apologies if it is insensitive to guess, but I think it’s likely that the police would tell the family that they have not found their daughter, but that they need the assistance of the family in finding her. Once her family arrive in the UK I’m sure she will be found quickly.

Islamic State’s claims of responsibility for terrorist attacks ‘part of a smoke and mirrors campaign’

PM By Danny Tran

Posted about 2 hours ago

A policeman and forensic officer speak to a woman at the scene of a siege in Brighton at serviced apartments.
Photo: The attack in Brighton was reportedly dedicated to both Islamic State and Al Qaeda. (ABC News: Patrick Rocca )

Related Story: Man shot dead, officers injured as Melbourne police end hostage situation

Map: Australia

In the aftermath of terrorist acts, extremist groups often claim responsibility for orchestrating the attack — but what does that actually mean?

Key points:
•Terrorists carry out attacks for a number of reasons, one of them is for propaganda
•Experts say IS claim ownership of attacks to cover up how badly they are doing militarily
•IS have outsourced their ideology, with people carrying out ‘inspired attacks’

Yesterday’s incident in the Melbourne suburb of Brighton was claimed by Islamic State (IS), as was the recent attack in London.

Jacinta Carroll, head of the Counter Terrorism Policy Centre at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, said claims such as these were part of the smoke-and-mirrors campaign being waged by IS.

“They’re doing very, very badly in their main base — the Middle East — where the so-called caliphate proclaimed only two-and-a-half, nearly three years ago, is no more,” she said.

"[Islamic State] is largely defeated militarily, it is transitioning to be a normal guerrilla-style, on-the-run terrorist group.

“So it needs funds and frankly it needs some good news.”

Killing is only one of the reasons terrorists carry out such attacks. The other is propaganda.

“That’s propaganda to put their names into the headlines in order to achieve their ends,” Ms Carroll said.

“In the case of Islamist extremist groups, that’s to attract support, divert attention from their failings elsewhere.”

Rise of the ‘inspired attack’

The attack in Brighton was reportedly dedicated to both IS and Al Qaeda by the named man, Yacqub Khayre.

So how much did the gunman have to do with Islamic State?

Ms Carroll said there had been a shift in what we understand a claim of responsibility to mean.

She referred to well-known terrorist groups from the past, such as the IRA or Tamil Tigers and the ruling around when they would officially claim responsibility.

“Traditionally [they would claim an attack] because they were directly involved in planning and undertaking that attack in order to achieve their particular political end,” she said.

But the rise of Islamic State has been seen as a game changer by people like Ms Carroll.

“They have this very outsourced approach to their ideology, to their membership and also their claimed terrorist attacks,” she said.

She believes large Islamist extremist groups like IS have had little, direct involvement in Australian attacks.

And this incident, she said, was not like the direct attacks we have been used to, such as 9/11.

“What we’re seeing, it appears — if the Brighton independent is seen to be a terrorist attack — is the inspired attack,” she said.

"That’s where a person heeds that distant call of a particular group of their ideology and undertakes some action purportedly in their name.

“Or even not done in their name, but claimed by that group.”

Claiming attacks to ‘change the narrative’

Dr Clarke Jones, a terrorism expert from the Australian National University, said this was an attempt by IS to change the narrative around its failure.

"It doesn’t mean a lot, it shouldn’t mean a lot," he said.

"The fact that Islamic State has now claimed responsibility for the incident is really about their grandstanding.

"And about trying to make themselves look bigger than they really are."

And he said the Yacqub Khayre should be regarded as nothing more than a violent offender with a history.

“We need to treat him like a criminal. Let’s not link him up with Islamic State and give him any glory,” he said.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton put little store in Islamic State’s claim of responsibility.

"It’s a statement made by them, factored that into this, but again it’s the sort of thing they jump up and down and say a lot," he said.

"So we’re not seeing anything at this stage indicating he’s got some messages from overseas to do this at all.

"But again, early days, we’ve got materials that’s seized, we’ll go through all that and work that out."

4 Likes
1 Like

With all the tragedy surrounding this event and others like it. It helps to sometimes have a laugh.

One person who took on the attackers was a 40 odd year old Noonan who shouted ‘■■■■ you I’m millwall’ and fought one of them.

5 Likes

How the hell was this bloke allowed to stay in the country after being ON TV last year in a documentary taking part in this in Regent’s Park? To actually be deported or jailed for being a suspected terrorist it seems you need to basically be in half with th detonator still in your hand.

1 Like

As I said earlier, ISIS were never going to have directed it. But it seems as though they inspired him to do it

farking love it!

And his mates give him a Learn to Run magazine…brilliant!!!..:laughing:

Prime candidate for a Darwin award.

1 Like

What response were you hoping to troll? Its a good start, hopefully leaders from other countries follow suit. Its certainly a lot more direct & concise than we have seen from many local leaders who its fair to say have sometimes skirted around condemnation of terrorism.

Why is he a Noonan?

(Don’t worry, I got it)

Who? ISIS? Or Al Qaeda? Which of the two parties opposed to and at war with each other inspired him?

Maybe both, plus the BNP, FARC, The IRA and the UVF?

Maybe he was a violent criminal ice addict ■■■■■■■ looking for glory?

And maybe, just maybe, as the three eminently qualified people say, he had ■■■■ all to do with terror organisations and them claiming it to be so is a desperate move that means exactly nothing.

5 Likes

Here’s some condemnation from the Muslim Council of Britain.

Imams and religious leaders from across the country and a range of schools of thought have come together to issue a public statement condemning the recent terror attack in London and conveying their pain at the suffering of the victims and their families.

In an unprecedented move, they have not only refused to perform the traditional Islamic prayer for the terrorist – a ritual that is normally performed for every Muslim regardless of their actions – but also have called on others to do the same. They said:

“Consequently, and in light of other such ethical principles which are quintessential to Islam, we will not perform the traditional Islamic funeral prayer over the perpetrators and we also urge fellow imams and religious authorities to withdraw such a privilege. This is because such indefensible actions are completely at odds with the lofty teachings of Islam.”

For the full statement and list of signatories, refer to the link provided above

1 Like

Wow, … ummm,…

I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore Toto …

2 Likes

You can ask the dead peoples parents you flog

1 Like