London Bridge Attack

Reasonable chance he had an online ISIS “handler”, but if so they’d have to be pretty disappointed in him!

Yes you are correct. It is still more than relevant though I would have thought.

Yes it is relevant but I would have thought the crimes he actually got convicted for would be far more relevant. But I guess if the media can find a way to link any event to allow us to call it a terror attack it generates so many more clicks.

4 Likes

It happened.

It’s not linked.

3 Likes

LOL. I think I will take your proclamations with a grain of salt.

You can suspect they are not linked. But to unequivocally state they are not linked is just stupid. I dare say the various authorities would have more up to date information than yourself. I’m inclined to go with them for the moment.

And to say this is just a media beat up is extremely disrespectful to everyone involved. I dare say the poor family of the person who was killed by this animal don’t think it is so trivia.

The sky is not blue. It may appear blue at times due to the proportionally higher refraction by air molecules of blue light compared to red light, but that is dependent on your vantage point. And whether or not it is dark, dusk, dawn, cloudy, rainy and a multitude of other factors. More often than not the sky is not blue.

There’s an important lesson in this. Absolute statements are almost always wrong, and are typically the product of our preconceptions and prejudices.

11 Likes

I’m saying the media is beating up the terrorism angle, I’m not disrespecting anyone except the media. As I stated earlier he shouldn’t have been on the street but that’s a parole board issue.

2 Likes

You do that.

They are, after all, the ones who have said this is in no way terrorism related.

Sort of goes at odds with what the PM has said and I quote: “it is a terrorist attack and it underlines the need for us to be constantly vigilant, never to be deterred,always defiant in the face of Islamist terrorism.”

Now he could be completely wrong and it wouldn’t be the first time but it might be best to take a wait and see approach for the moment.

The police Commissioner seems to disagree with you.

"Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton confirmed the incident was being treated as “an act of terrorism”.

Must have imagined Ashton literally saying on radio this morning that it wasn’t terrorism.

But yeah, the age is more reliable.

Actually it was the police that called it that, not the media.

They are investigating whether it is terrorism as the difference between yes and/or no is political motivation in the eyes of australian law

Your last paragraph is an absolute statement.

1 Like

No it’s not.
It’s got a bit of wriggle room.

I don’t think for a second that the board of directors at ISIS are presiding over this elaborate empire of terrorists, controlling every p a w n (why is that banned) & planning every move KAOS style (that’s from Get Smart for those of you too young). ISIS, Al Qaeda whoever, are simply the inspiration for the attacks not the actual proponents. I’d be very surprised if many of these attacks are coordinated with anyone outside their immediate circles & most would be lone nutters. Sure some of these guys in Europe have had direct contact with ISIS & some have had training, some have probably watched videos, read propaganda, been inspired by local radical Imams etc but again ISIS is simply throwing out the idea terror & will therefore claim anything & everything they can to further fantasise their cause. I don’t credit them as being anywhere near as organised as they want to portray.

Does that mean this was or wasn’t a terrorist attack - it makes no difference to me if ISIS claim it or not, the only thing that really matters is what was the reason for the attack. Was it politically motivated, based on what is know it appears it was. It wasn’t a crime of opportunity, he wasn’t demanding ransom, there doesn’t appear to be anything in the victims chosen (it wasn’t personal) so it looks like he was trying to make this a political statement. Maybe he was inspired by the incidents in London & thought it was time to have an attack in Australia. We’ll probably never know a fraction of what was going on in this guys head.

1 Like

So his plan was to have a gun fight (with a shotgun) against highly trained and, heavily armed tactical personal?

What a ■■■■■■■ idiot.

4 Likes

You may be interested in the segment starting at the 41 minute mark in this program. Warning, it’s a bit gruesome. It was broadcast after the Manchester attacks, but before the London Bridge attacks and examines the formal identification process for victims of disasters. It deals more with a bomb blast than stabbings. Essentially a body will only be identified by DNA, fingerprints, dental records or surgical appliances with a unique serial number (e.g. pacemaker). It doesn’t matter if they are carrying ID. The authorities won’t confirm that someone has died until they are 100% sure that they are identifying the correct person.

Hope it’s not geo blocked.

You’re probably more aware of her situation than I am because you get more Australian media than I do. It’s a bit lost in the stories of the other victims here in the UK. Hope she’s OK but it’s not looking good.