Luckiest Players?

As kids we probably all wished we had our very own footy cards.

Dressed in a Red and Black jumper and holding a well worn Sherrin in one hand while executing a classic baulk.

Just like our heroes.

Well I reckon these 3 are the luckiest Essendon players ever.

Apart from the fact they played for Essendon, they got their own card.

They played a total of 13 games between them.

Anton Grbac: 2. Tom Park: 3. Garry Lowe: 8.

Not exactly household names but still they managed to get their mugs on to their very own footy card.

And apart from Grbac, for the life of me, I can‘t remember the other 2.

Lucky buggers.

grbac.jpg75tompark.jpg75garrylowe.jpg

Can you think of any others who could count themselves lucky?

Don't get me started!

But related to your post, Anton Grbac was unlucky that he wat at Windy Hill at one of our strongest periods. He was great in the reserves, a very strong mark (think Hibberd these days) but could not break into the firsts with players like Ronnie Andrews, Paul Weston etc in front of him.

Not sure if Tom Park or Cameron Ling...

Michael Still & Ariel Steinberg both have cards and did not/have yet to play a game.

There are plenty of others, might have to go through the collection.

Reckon Paul Hills was pretty lucky.

Did Michael Quinn ever get a footy card? 

He was third luckiest to win a premiership medal that year... 

Did Michael Quinn ever get a footy card? 

Probably not.

Couldn't get natural looking skin tones.

who were the first 2?

THere were a few around 1970-71 who were not long-serving players - off the top of my bonce, Vic Papp, Michael Bates, John May, Andrew Radchenko, Rod McFarlane, Trevor Heath

Everyone's favorite bearded cult hero with his own card, but unfortunately, 0 games.

2012_afl_football_draft_prospects_draft_

THere were a few around 1970-71 who were not long-serving players - off the top of my bonce, Vic Papp, Michael Bates, John May, Andrew Radchenko, Rod McFarlane, Trevor Heath

Papp was 1968 and Radchenko 1975 but the point is well made - we seemed to have a revolving door selection policy at that time and just about anybody on the list got a go at some stage.

Some others were: Bruce Dodson, Alan Graco, David Starbuck, Roger Hampson (who was actually pretty talented) and Robert Thompson. All debuted in 1970-71 and quickly disappeared off the list. 1969 wasn't a bad year either: there was John Carpenter, Gary Crouch, John Sinclair. Ian Stevenson and Dave Collins (who was showing a bit of potential until injury finished him).

who were the first 2?

Wallis would be one.

I hope he isn't going to say Watson.

Roger Hampson was pretty good but a serious injury (knee I think) finished him. Tried coming back but no go.

Anyone remember John Fanning?

Roger Hampson was pretty good but a serious injury (knee I think) finished him. Tried coming back but no go.

He went through Uni with my brother (and Les Stillman)

Fanning or Hampson?
My brother went to school with Hampson and they were mates.

I remember John Fanning. Blond-haired ruckman. Handy twos player but not quite up to it at senior level. Nephew of John Fanning, the Melbourne forward who holds the VFL/AFL record of 18 goals in a game.

Roger Hamspon was a very, very good winger. Like Rayner, he was a star athlete. Hurdles was his caper IIRC. He broke into the seniors after just a couple of games in the seconds and straight away started picking up 20-odd possessions a game. He would be perfectly at home in modern football.

I remember John Fanning. Blond-haired ruckman. Handy twos player but not quite up to it at senior level. Nephew of John Fanning, the Melbourne forward who holds the VFL/AFL record of 18 goals in a game.

Roger Hamspon was a very, very good winger. Like Rayner, he was a star athlete. Hurdles was his caper IIRC. He broke into the seniors after just a couple of games in the seconds and straight away started picking up 20-odd possessions a game. He would be perfectly at home in modern football.
Correct on both.
I think Fanning left and went to Collingwood, but didn't progress there.

I didn't see John Fanning or Les Stillman at Essedon as I didn't start watching until 1973 (when I was eight) but being a Willy boy I remember watching both playing for Williamstown in the VFA. In those days it was Essendon on Saturdays and Williamstown on Sundays.

Fanning was my brother's mate...both he and Stillman went to Footscray, then Willy. Stillman played at another VFA club too...Coburg?

Fanning's son, David, played at Collingwood, now Aberfeldie. Port Melbourne on the way through.